Question Intel Rapid Storage Technology - Windows won't boot with SATA Type = RAID, but will boot with SATA Type: = AHCI

Dec 29, 2020
Hi guys - long time reader, first-time poster.

So when I bought my laptop a few years back, it came pre-installed with Windows 7 Ultimate and with RAID 1 configured (using Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST)). Unfortunately, I dropped the laptop last year and the OS refused to boot immediately afterwards.

Whenever the IRST ROM appears on the screen after powering on the laptop, the RAID 1 Array is listed on screen; however the status of the RAID Array is listed as Failed, and the Bootable status of the array is listed as No - after which, the BIOS would search for other bootable sources. I assumed that the hard disk was dead; however, after playing around with the BIOS settings, I figured out that I could get the OS to boot after changing the 'SATA Type' setting in the BIOS from 'RAID' to 'AHCI'.

Has anyone any idea how I could get the OS to boot with Sata Type = RAID, so I restore my RAID 1 configuration? At the moment, I'm running the laptop off a single HDD; however I would prefer to get back my RAID 1 functionality (using IRST if possible).

Any help is much appreciated.

Dec 29, 2020
so you replace the failed drive? and want to rebuild the raid?
Hi rgd1101 - here's the thing, neither of the drives has actually failed. Individually, I can boot both of them with SATA Mode = AHCI; however, when I set SATA Type = RAID in the BIOS, they will no longer boot - either on their own or as a RAID Array. In the eyes of IRST, the RAID 1 array has 'failed'. While both disks are out of sync, it is my understanding that the status of the array should be listed as 'Degraded' in IRST and not 'Failed'.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS