Intel Rapid Storage techonlogy Maximum mode data loss

Depthcharger04

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
Hi, I am running with Intel RST and in Acceleration mode but I am tempted to go on full on Maximum for full performance. I know the risk of data loss if I run it on Maximum since it's both read and write in case of a power outage. But it says only cache memory. I do not have a ups due to lack of $$$ and my PC uses too much power with my set up. But what I really want to know is what kind of data that will be lost? I do have a backup hard drive but not mirrored. I just put stuff in there like how u would put stuff on a usb. its running on raid0 and there is nothing i stored in the ssd. what kind of data will be lost and say if there was a power outrage what will i be experiencing next? will losing cache data really screw over my computer?

please help and thanks

Solution
Either one could be updating the file allocation table on the hard drive. Then you have a corrupt file system. chkdsk might clear it up. If you don't have an UPS that will allow you 10 to 15 min of time to allow a clean shutdown, don't do it.

kanewolf

Titan
Any data which is still in RAM and not written to disk would be at risk. That could be a word document or it could be a windows update or it could be a file table update for the file system. The last two of those could be catastrophic. It depends on what activity is going on at the moment the power is lost.

Depthcharger04

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014

ok say if i was to play a game or watch youtube videos

kanewolf

Titan
Either one could be updating the file allocation table on the hard drive. Then you have a corrupt file system. chkdsk might clear it up. If you don't have an UPS that will allow you 10 to 15 min of time to allow a clean shutdown, don't do it.

Solution