News Intel Raptor Lake-P 14-Core CPU Outpaces The Core i9-12900HK

Could we finally be done with the era of "New generation of chips! 5% performance boost for 10% more money!"
Like it or not, this is going to be the norm from here on out.

The 90s was basically when we discovered every basic trick in the book for a single core. The 2000s brought us process improvements to eke out more clock speed and have multi-core. 2010s was basically finding optimizations here and there and hoping process technology could hold out. And thanks to things like Amdahl's Law and Dennard Scaling hitting their limits, we're basically at a road block.

We probably can still cut a lot of old cruft, but that also means starting fresh which in the "backwards compatibility is king" world, is a hard pill to swallow.

Reactions: KyaraM

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
The UserBenchmark site has been banned at r/AMD reddit--links or mention of UserBenchmark are verbotten--I believe that would be a wise policy for TH. The site had a well-earned reputation for being an Intel-coordinated or owned shill site in order to mislead n00bs about Intel CPUs, calling Intel's pre-Alder Lake CPUs superior to AMD's Zen2 and Zen3 CPU, which, of course, was never the case at all. The site's objectivity seems non-existent.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
The UserBenchmark site has been banned at r/AMD reddit--links or mention of UserBenchmark are verbotten--I believe that would be a wise policy for TH. The site had a well-earned reputation for being an Intel-coordinated or owned shill site in order to mislead n00bs about Intel CPUs, calling Intel's pre-Alder Lake CPUs superior to AMD's Zen2 and Zen3 CPU, which, of course, was never the case at all. The site's objectivity seems non-existent.
No benchmark tool is perfect. Having a bias towards one manufacturer doesn't mean the results aren't still useful/valid for comparing generations from the same manufacturer.

Specter0420

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
UserBenchmark is perfectly fine as long as you compare actual benchmark scores (single core, dual core, etc.), especially in the same brand. It boils down to which CPU can do the same math problems the fastest... Of course it is useful.

There is only controversy over the "Overall" ranking. This is because they value single core performance more than 8+ core performance. In reality, well, it IS more valuable, especially to gamers, the site's primary audience. Some early Ryzen AMD fanboys have a big issue with this because their CPUs don't do as well here, even against budget Intel chips. I understand the outrage to a point, but this "Throw all the data out! Don't look a the real numbers! Do not speak their name! BAN THEM!" is really just AMD fanboy temper tantrum echo chamber BS. Nobody is surprised the Ryzen fanboy reddit wants an echo-chamber, we don't want Toms that way.

Take a breath, ignore the overall ranking, and look at the cold hard data. Run the benchmark, see how your PC compares to others with the same components.

Reactions: cyrusfox and KyaraM