[SOLVED] Intel Raptor power requirements on mobo

Sep 30, 2022
Hi,

For instance the Intel i9 13900k is specified with a "maximum turbo power" of 253 watts. Also rumor has it that the KS will pull up to 300 watts.

I understand the 8 pin CPU is maximum going to feed 150 watts so in order to get the most of this CPU do I need a motherboard with double 8 pin or does a CPU also get power from the 24 pin for these maximum loads to reach the potential 5.8 or 6 ghz? Even if I am not overclocking but simply want the most of my CPU?

Thanks!

Solution
Any board that is compatible and lists that CPU on it's CPU compatibility list, is going to either be fine with the two EPS 4 pin connectors (CPU 8 pin, which is actually two four pin EPS connectors) and the power it primarily gets through the 24 pin ATX connector, or will have an additional 4 pin EPS connector for which if you want to use that you will need to be sure to get a PSU that has either an 8 pin plus an additional 4 pin EPS/CPU connector or dual 8 pin (4+4) EPS connectors. Even on boards that DO have extra EPS connectors in addition to the standard 4+4 pin, they are usually not required unless you are doing substantial overclocking, at least on past generations. New generations, we don't really know yet but I'm sure we'll...
Any board that is compatible and lists that CPU on it's CPU compatibility list, is going to either be fine with the two EPS 4 pin connectors (CPU 8 pin, which is actually two four pin EPS connectors) and the power it primarily gets through the 24 pin ATX connector, or will have an additional 4 pin EPS connector for which if you want to use that you will need to be sure to get a PSU that has either an 8 pin plus an additional 4 pin EPS/CPU connector or dual 8 pin (4+4) EPS connectors. Even on boards that DO have extra EPS connectors in addition to the standard 4+4 pin, they are usually not required unless you are doing substantial overclocking, at least on past generations. New generations, we don't really know yet but I'm sure we'll find out and if I was using a CPU with a potential 250-300w TDP I think I would really want a board and PSU with those extra connections.

And a very good VRM configuration.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Solution
For sure they will. And they will test motherboard models with the high end TDP chips as well. So it is always a good idea to wait, and not be among the first adopters, for any new hardware generation. There are always bugs to work out, problems that surface that were not expected and things like that.