News Intel Razer Lake CPUs allegedly arrive after Nova Lake — Arrow Lake Refresh reportedly canceled

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
Arrow Lake CPUs will be the only chips to debut on the LGA1851 socket, with Arrow Lake Refresh being purportedly canceled.
This is the weirdest and most concerning part of this whole series of leaks. It's believable that Intel would do this.

Arrow Lake Refresh was rumored to bump the core count up to 8+32. It may have been planned as a refresh in the sense that Raptor Lake was a refresh of Alder Lake.

Instead, maybe they will bump clocks up by 100 MHz and that will be the "new" generation that you can buy for LGA1851. Although with chiplets, it's possible for Intel to do something more complicated, like swap in a new iGPU or NPU.

TheSecondPower

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
This could be good news if it means Arrow Lake's replacement is ahead of schedule. Hard to tell because Intel doesn't seem to announce roadmaps anymore, and the last roadmap announced had Arrow Lake on 20A and Lunar Lake as its 18A successor. Today Arrow Lake and Lunar Lake are the same CPU cores and in different target markets, and Lunar Lake comes out tomorrow while Arrow Lake is still a month out. Oh and Intel has said almost nothing official about Arrow Lake except that it'll be mostly made by some other foundry (so TSMC). (And Lunar Lake is officially on TSMC N3B.)

Intel please return to official roadmaps that actually represent what you intend to launch and stop using rumors.

DS426

Upstanding
May 15, 2024
This could be good news if it means Arrow Lake's replacement is ahead of schedule. Hard to tell because Intel doesn't seem to announce roadmaps anymore, and the last roadmap announced had Arrow Lake on 20A and Lunar Lake as its 18A successor. Today Arrow Lake and Lunar Lake are the same CPU cores and in different target markets, and Lunar Lake comes out tomorrow while Arrow Lake is still a month out. Oh and Intel has said almost nothing official about Arrow Lake except that it'll be mostly made by some other foundry (so TSMC). (And Lunar Lake is officially on TSMC N3B.)

Intel please return to official roadmaps that actually represent what you intend to launch and stop using rumors.
Intel won't have enough people left to spend time on roadmap illustrations and communications, lol.

On a more serious note...
Razor Lake will have Shaving Cream Cores.

Reactions: artk2219
Unless they're changing memory channels or CPU provided PCIe lanes I don't really see any technical reason they couldn't extend the socket life. In fact it's possible when MTL-S was canceled they made plans to do just that. LGA1156-LGA1200 were the same socket, whether pin compatible or not, and that spanned PCIe 1-4 and DDR3/4.

Reactions: truerock
Sep 4, 2024
LOL, Nova is not the purported replacement of Lunar Lake. What nonsense. Nova Lake is Arrow Lake's replacement, Panther Lake is Lunar Lake's replacement, but offering higher core options, but optimised for 17-30W range.

I was almost certainly going to buy Arrow Lake, but not if 1851 is only 1 generation.

Hotrod2go

Prominent
Jun 12, 2023
Short socket life reminds me of the days with socket 1156, except they went back one pin to 1155.... :ROFLMAO: ... got you! if you want the latest processor technologies, then upgrade your boards again.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
How is something “cancelled” when it was never announced?
That's not strange, at all. The lifecycle of a product begins well before it's announced. Just because the public doesn't know about it doesn't mean there isn't work being done internally and even preparations made by close partners (e.g. board partners, big OEMs, etc.).

A project being cancelled is news, because it tells us either things at the company are worse than we knew, that maybe the project is being eclipsed by something else, or maybe even that the original Arrow Lake is so good that there wasn't much room for improvement to be made by a mere refresh.

We are publishing rumors and then spreading the next set of rumors that cancels out the previous rumor. Weird!
I can understand not liking leaks & rumors, due to all of the uncertainty. That's fair, but then just don't read these articles. It's usually not hard to tell from the headlines what is an official announcement or product review.

The only reason we get these articles on leaks and rumors is because people read them. If you send them your clicks but then also whine about them, you're literally sending mixed messages. And in this case, your clicks definitely speak louder than your words.

Last edited:

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
The article said:
If HXL's information is accurate, LGA1851 could be one of the shortest-lived platforms in Intel's history.
Not if the timeline is correct. If Arrow Lake is meant to last until 2026, then it'll be essentially their normal 2-year cadence.

BTW, perhaps some people don't know this, but LGA1851 was originally slated to launch a year ago. That got scrapped when they killed Meteor Lake-S, and instead we got Raptor Lake Refresh.

I was almost certainly going to buy Arrow Lake, but not if 1851 is only 1 generation.
This seems just bizarre, to me. In most cases, it doesn't make sense to upgrade from one generation to the next. The main exceptions tend to be when you're also moving up at least a couple tiers, like from an i5 to an i7 or i9.

So, unless you were going to buy an Arrow Lake model well below the top-end, I'd suggest it probably wouldn't have made sense to buy a refresh, even if they went ahead with it. Conversely, if you were going to buy an i9, then maybe just go ahead with it and keep it a little longer?

Sep 12, 2024
raptor lake +200Mhz speed= raptor lake refresh, this kind of " refresh" really pointless (except 14700k + 4 small cores still acceptable, others like 14600k, 14900k totally is pointless)

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
raptor lake +200Mhz speed= raptor lake refresh, this kind of " refresh" really pointless (except 14700k + 4 small cores still acceptable, others like 14600k, 14900k totally is pointless)
Yeah, it depends on exactly what they meant by "refresh". If it was similar to the kinds of improvements between Alder Lake and Raptor Lake (someone mentioned another doubling of the E-cores), then the difference could be quite nice. However, if it's literally the same silicon, with just a bit better tuning, then I'd agree that it's hardly worth doing.

Shirley Marquez

Honorable
Sep 2, 2019
LOL, Nova is not the purported replacement of Lunar Lake. What nonsense. Nova Lake is Arrow Lake's replacement, Panther Lake is Lunar Lake's replacement, but offering higher core options, but optimised for 17-30W range.

We're talking about Intel, so most motherboards can't handle future generations. Even if they keep the same socket, they usually make a change or two to make the new chips incompatible. At best you get one more generation, and that upgrade is rarely worth the trouble.

Reactions: bit_user

rtoaht

Reputable
Jun 5, 2020
I can understand not liking leaks & rumors, due to all of the uncertainty. That's fair, but then just don't read these articles. It's usually not hard to tell from the headlines what is an official announcement or product review.
That's a strawman. I never said I didn't like leaks & rumors, but you can't just assume the rumor was, in fact, the official roadmap and call any rumor that didn't turn out to be true as "cancelled". The correct headline should have mentioned something like "new set of rumors contradicting previous rumor about Arrow Lake Refresh".

Reactions: bit_user