Intel Releases Core i7-2700K Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey bulldozer, get ready to get bulldozed again by the new(with 30w less tdp) pricy performance cpu!
i read somewhere that intel used the best yields for 2700k chip, may be this one will oc even higher....
can't wait for a 2700k vs 2600k vs 2500k vs bullwhatever performance comparison. :)

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Come on now, it's not even a battle anymore, if AMD had been ontime with Bull dozer, in 2009, they'd be back on the map, but they wer e2 years late and this is what they get.

xcomvic

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
:( I've been with AMD for years now....I even got a Crosshair V and a 1100T in preparation for an eventual upgrade to Bulldozer. I will wait for Bulldozer 2.0 ...if not...hey when Ivy Bridge comes out, 2500k will be cheap as hell.

Partizan92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
why did they release it.. now i see no point of Intel releasing ivy bridge.. there is no competition for their current CPU lineup... they can just lay back and enjoy...

BlackHawk91

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
So extra $15 bucks for only 100Mhz more. How about dropping prices on the 2500k and 2600k instead. I almost forget Intel doesn't need to "compete".

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Partizan92[/nom]why did they release it.. now i see no point of Intel releasing ivy bridge.. there is no competition for their current CPU lineup... they can just lay back and enjoy...[/citation]

That's why IB is pushed back to 2012.

ivy bridge got pushed back to make room for 2700k and sb-e release. afaik ivb will be released in late q1 2012 - around march-april.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
100 Mhz extra, why bother? Isnt the whole "K" series thing about being unlocked? Just buy a 2600k, go into your bios and two minutes later you have a 2700k and some extra cash in your pocket. This is as bad as AMD's 955-980 series, redundant(sorry AMD, you know I love you). Marketing, pure and simple. Dont waste your money, even if they are binning these things, you really wont get much more for your money.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Partizan92[/nom]why did they release it.. now i see no point of Intel releasing ivy bridge.. there is no competition for their current CPU lineup... they can just lay back and enjoy...[/citation]

They've been working on IB for years, long before BD started to look like a failure. They're not going to just not release it if it's already done. Plus, I imagine Intel still remembers what happened the last time they got complacent. AMD's not in the same position as it was in the P4 days, but I don't think Intel wants a real challenge and will keep putting out new designs to assure their dominance.

[citation][nom]BlackHawk91[/nom]So extra $15 bucks for only 100Mhz more. How about dropping prices on the 2500k and 2600k instead. I almost forget Intel doesn't need to "compete".[/citation]
Do they have to compete?

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Zagen30[/nom]They've been working on IB for years, long before BD started to look like a failure. They're not going to just not release it if it's already done. Plus, I imagine Intel still remembers what happened the last time they got complacent. AMD's not in the same position as it was in the P4 days, but I don't think Intel wants a real challenge and will keep putting out new designs to assure their dominance.[/citation]
Intel didn't get complacent in the P4 days. They had a team of morons design it. It's not hard to figure out that if you design a less efficient processor and make it run at crazy high speeds you're going to have heat issues which will prevent said processor from competing with faster, more efficient CPU's.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]hey bulldozer, get ready to get bulldozed again by the new(with 30w less tdp) pricy performance cpu!i read somewhere that intel used the best yields for 2700k chip, may be this one will oc even higher....can't wait for a 2700k vs 2600k vs 2500k vs bullwhatever performance comparison.[/citation]

before i fully judge the bulldozer i want to see windows 8 performance, with the amd cpu being written for it, like 7 is with intel, and revision 1 of bulldozer.

i want to see how bulldozer performs with windows 8.0 as well. the sad reality is - amd had time to work with microsoft on the scheduler thing and other performance issues yet it underperformed significantly.
otoh linux apps are multithreading optimized, so bd might show some improvements there and they have the opportunity to write optimized driver for that (though i did read at phoronix that the latest bd patch by amd got criticzed by linus torvalds).

[citation][nom]BlackHawk91[/nom]So extra $15 bucks for only 100Mhz more. How about dropping prices on the 2500k and 2600k instead. I almost forget Intel doesn't need to "compete".[/citation]

who are they competing with? AMD? this i7 makes bulldozer look like an Intel celeron

Status
Not open for further replies.