Intel Releases Sluggish M.2 NVMe DC P3100 SSD Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
intel needs to step up their ssd game and give samsung a run for it's money, and quit trying to play these marketing games that disable features, and prevent drive writes after a arbitrary write limit is exceeded. although they don't do it on these enterprise drives, they do on the consumer ones.

And all of Intels NVME drives are using almost double the power of the samsung ones with the same setup (number of dies, ram, etc..)

Correct me if I've gotten the wrong impression, but isn't Intel already doing plenty to give Samsung a "run for its money" in the near future with it's development of proprietary 3dxpoint optane tech-based ssd's (and the development of cpu's with instructions to accommodate that proprietary tech)? The latest proprietary tech coming out of Intel doesn't bode very well for the competition, or for the consumer ultimately.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

Intel isn't making a run for anything in the near future with optane with the capacities they are launching with: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-pc-market-3d-xpoint,32894.html

As for these TLC drives, is the point just usage in slash and burn hyperscale data centers?

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
"Intel confirmed that the DC P3100 Series uses the SMI SM2260 controller, which is also found on the 600p"

Yeah, it just seems like Intel is working hard to make these SSD's as cheap and as slow and featureless along with a shorter life-span as possible - which insures that myself and sooooooooo many others will be staying far away from these and will go with a Samsung 960 Pro instead. Bad moves Intel. These ssd's by Intel are junky slow and are made to not last long.

"I spoke briefly with [Intel's new GM and VP of its Desktop Client Platforms Group, Lisa Graff] at CES about her plans, and she observed that high-end desktop processor sales had been fairly flat in recent years—but when she looked at the performance numbers, the reason was clear. Intel hasn't given enthusiasts much of a reason to upgrade since Sandy Bridge."

- March 19, 2014: Intel to renew commitment to desktop PCs with a slew of new CPUs
http://techreport.com/review/26189/intel-to-renew-commitment-to-desktop-pcs-with-a-slew-of-new-cpus

Some might say little has changed and Intel appears to be doing the same with these SSD's.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Seems like paid advertising for what is arguably the worst ssd I've ever seen! It even feels like Intel wrote it for you......

Status
Not open for further replies.