News Intel Releases Xe Max Graphics, Details Power Sharing and Deep Link

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
You know you're not in a good market position if you're constantly reacting to what other companies are doing first. Xe is beginning to look like a response to AMD APUs. Maybe Intel is starting to realize the combination of AMD's core counts, efficiency, and graphics architectures present an extreme danger in each and every market they compete in.

Agree , Intel has the brains and money to do well here. Poaching Raj was just the start.
AMD's graphics card division wasn't particularly great when he was heading it, and seems to be doing a lot better now that he's been gone a few years.

Since he left, the energy efficiency of AMD's graphics cards has more than doubled, and their new cards will be competing at the enthusiast level against Nvidia's best offerings again, rather than only having more mid-range models drawing over 50% more power than the competition, as was the case when he was heading Radeon. He might be better than whoever Intel had in charge of their graphics hardware before, but I'm not convinced AMD is at much of a loss without him.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
AMD's graphics card division wasn't particularly great when he was heading it, and seems to be doing a lot better now that he's been gone a few years.

Since he left, the energy efficiency of AMD's graphics cards has more than doubled, and their new cards will be competing at the enthusiast level against Nvidia's best offerings again, rather than only having more mid-range models drawing over 50% more power than the competition, as was the case when he was heading Radeon. He might be better than whoever Intel had in charge of their graphics hardware before, but I'm not convinced AMD is at much of a loss without him.
A pretty significant portion of the credit for the efficiency boost can probably be attributed to switching from Global Foundries to TSMC.

As long as technological engineering and the science behind it is being researched, all these companies are gonna keep producing products. Typically they want these products to be bought. So, I don't see the point in arguing who is gonna out do who. We always compare bench marks anyway. I look at it as any company can blindside the public as well as other companies at any time.
All the speculation can be saved for when a company actually starts laying people off and losing money, imo.

A pretty significant portion of the credit for the efficiency boost can probably be attributed to switching from Global Foundries to TSMC.
Most of the efficiency gains seem to be architectural though. Just compare the 7nm Radeon VII based on Vega with the 7nm 6900 XT based on RDNA2, for example. Both cards are listed as having a 300W TBP, but the 6900 XT should be delivering around double the gaming performance on the same process node.