News Intel Reportedly Wants to Sell Its Sports Tech Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I feel the new CEO is making a terrible mistake shedding products that are doing well. I may be wrong, but while its good to focus on core products, previous CEOs are trying to diversify their portfolios so that they don't become too dependent on just a few core income streams. Popularity for desktop and laptops have been in decline for many years, and that trend only reversed largely because of COVID 19 resulting in a mad rush for PCs and chips. PC segment have been gradually losing market share to mobile devices like smartphones and tablets and will likely continue that decline when things "normalise" over the years. Not to mention Intel is facing very stiff competition from ARM and AMD in almost every segment of their core business, which likely resulted in their revenue taking a steep drop when almost every chip making company are reporting record profit/ revenue.

Co BIY

Splendid
I may be wrong, but while its good to focus on core products, previous CEOs are trying to diversify their portfolios so that they don't become too dependent on just a few core income streams.

I think the previous CEOs were trying to create more demand for the whole "large-compute space/ high-tech future". This makes sense when your monopolistic/dominant company will reap most of the rewards. When you are in a highly competitive market it doesn't make sense to cheerlead for the whole industry anymore. Even if successful your competitors are as likely to get the benefit as you.

InvalidError

Titan
When you are in a highly competitive market it doesn't make sense to cheerlead for the whole industry anymore. Even if successful your competitors are as likely to get the benefit as you.
If nobody "cheerleads" new tech then demand will slow down since people/companies have more limited need for more processing power. Intel's competitors don't necessarily benefit that much since I bet Intel used a fair amount of proprietary stuff like Xeon Scalable's SDI that you could only get from Intel if you wanted to have your own studio based on Intel's capture tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.