Intel Reports Record $11.1 Billion Revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I wonder how much they paid retailers with regards to the AMD matter. Guess it was still worth it in the end. Moral of the story? Buy you way along and you'll make record profits.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jskilnyk[/nom]What are the odds of them buying nVidia? I mean it would be classic Intel Vs. AMD again.[/citation]
No sir, I don't think that a bipolar Intel-AMD market will be that good.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Now, I'm not saying the US tax system isn't perfect and not in need of some serious overhauling. But, isn't this the same guy who just a month ago was complaining the US tax system is ruining US businesses and is now reporting record profits?

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Revenue

Pfft... Exxon made almost 15 billion profit second quarter of '08.

I would be curious to see what Intel's profit margins were. It costs a lot to build and run those facilities.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom] RISC is the new black.[/citation]

What are you smoking? That's what Apple said 25 years ago and we see how well that worked out for them.

x86/x64... resistance is futile.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]RevenuePfft... Exxon made almost 15 billion profit second quarter of '08.I would be curious to see what Intel's profit margins were. It costs a lot to build and run those facilities.[/citation]
Exxon is the top or second largest company in the world so I don't think your comparison is very good. If you want to know what the margins were how about clicking "Check out the Intel announcement for the full details"? Hint, it's over 60%

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
It's good to see Intel making a lot of money, especially since they are, overall, doing so much good for the computer industry.

It's also good that they don't price so low that they knock AMD out of business, which they could do if they wanted to sacrifice some profits.

The computer industry is healthy. AMD has finally given up competing with Intel on single threaded performance and made the Bulldozer focus on many threaded performance, whereas Intel had the money to create a brand new (non Pentium-Pro) processor with many of the advanced technologies of the Pentium 4, but done better.

Intel might not always be perfect, but they do more for the computer industry than any other company, and overall have excellent products that the world benefits from greatly. Anyone upset by their outstanding products should remember the benefit the company has on the world. That's the way capitalism is supposed to be.

[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]Now, I'm not saying the US tax system isn't perfect and not in need of some serious overhauling. But, isn't this the same guy who just a month ago was complaining the US tax system is ruining US businesses and is now reporting record profits?[/citation]

Actually what Otellini said was that the tax and other regulations were driving US industry overseas. AFAIK Intel has a large number of fabs and other facilities here in the US. But it sounds like future fabs will be overseas unless things change.

I note Intel reported its effective tax rate as 32%. So about 1 out of every 3 dollars of profit went to Uncle Sam.

[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]Exxon is the top or second largest company in the world so I don't think your comparison is very good. If you want to know what the margins were how about clicking "Check out the Intel announcement for the full details"? Hint, it's over 60%[/citation]

They used to be called Standard Oil before the anti trust break up and they through loop holes and deceptive actions traded oil and fuel stocks to Germany during WW2. In short they are a evil company just like BP that poisoned the Gulf of Mexico.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]They used to be called Standard Oil before the anti trust break up and they through loop holes and deceptive actions traded oil and fuel stocks to Germany during WW2. In short they are a evil company just like BP that poisoned the Gulf of Mexico.[/citation]
Get off your high horse, the Gulf of Mexico was an accident, our demand for oil is what pushes oil companies to drill so far offshore and they can't do it unilaterally anyway, they still need permission to drill. If the Government thinks it is too dangerous it will not give permission.

The risk of an environmental catastrophe is a lot more palatable than another 20 years with soldiers dying in the Middle East.

Want to feel better? Stop driving an SUV and cross your fingers that they break fusion before Iran develops nuclear missiles.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]duk3[/nom]Intel dislikes nvidia too much to buy them.[/citation]
Intel hates IBM a lot more than nVidia. Still they sell lots of processors to IBM.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Get off your high horse, the Gulf of Mexico was an accident, our demand for oil is what pushes oil companies to drill so far offshore and they can't do it unilaterally anyway, they still need permission to drill. If the Government thinks it is too dangerous it will not give permission.The risk of an environmental catastrophe is a lot more palatable than another 20 years with soldiers dying in the Middle East.Want to feel better? Stop driving an SUV and cross your fingers that they break fusion before Iran develops nuclear missiles.[/citation]
Iran is never a threat to the USA. Rather than that it's a tragedy to their own citizens and to the Israeli. The news talk about Iranian nuclear program like every week but forget to mention girls stoned to death and many others punished/jailed/murdered for turning their voices against their government. The USA is too worried about that fake terror war on Afghanistan paved by opium and Iraqi oil to realize there's much more oil in the depths of the oceans. Instead of fueling war the government could have purchased/licensed all the required technology/processes to extract the oil with safety at a fraction of the expenses of war. Of course the war industry is happy with all that...

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Get off your high horse, the Gulf of Mexico was an accident, our demand for oil is what pushes oil companies to drill so far offshore and they can't do it unilaterally anyway, they still need permission to drill. If the Government thinks it is too dangerous it will not give permission.The risk of an environmental catastrophe is a lot more palatable than another 20 years with soldiers dying in the Middle East.Want to feel better? Stop driving an SUV and cross your fingers that they break fusion before Iran develops nuclear missiles.[/citation]
Deep water drilling is not because of our "thrust" for oil but rather because of environmentalist don't like to see oil rigs from the shore line =p most oil can still be readily drilled in shallow waters but people complain about looking at oil rigs. So they push them far away where drilling is harder =p

Status
Not open for further replies.