Intel Revealing Bay Trail-T and Devices Next Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Since Microsoft priced me out of the market with their Surface Pro, I am still waiting on a tablet to give me Win 8 and x86 compatibility.

All Windows 8 tablets do x86 except the Windows RT tablets

Do you expect everything to be free?

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Exciting stuff. Can't wait to see the benchmarks. I wonder how far it is compared to the Haswell U series. I wish the higher end ones will be powerful enough for some light photoshop and web development and the lower end ones have still a fluid Windows experience with long battery life.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

They start as low as $300 with the Acer Iconia W3 so you can get x86 compatibility very cheap, but... You get what you pay for. I have an Acer Iconia W700 and it's awesome - but it basically has the hardware of a mid level Ultrabook. If you want something with good hardware, you pay for it, and don't be expecting Ultrabook hardware for less than Ultrabook pricing, in which context the Surface and W700 are actually reasonably competitive. If you want a slower Atom based processor in your Windows 8 tablet, you can get it cheap, but don't be surprised when it chugs - those types of weaker processors are meant to run Android/iOS/Windows RT, and apps, not applications.

My suggestion? Go with a Surface Pro or Iconia W700 if you want one without compromises. Otherwise, buy cheaper and you'll get your x86 functionality, but it'll be like using a budget laptop - chug chug chug even web browsing. Office will likely work fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.