Intel Reveals 10 Broadwell CPUs, Most With Iris Pro Graphics; Five New Xeons, Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
So more powerful integrated video chip and that's about it. Rather useless upgrade...that's what happens when there is no competition.

InvalidError

Titan
So, the entry-level price moves another $20-40 up with Broadwell, at least for the Iris Pro i5/i7, and the Xeons went up ~$200, putting an end to the Xeon-i7 cheat, at least for now. Also as usual, the mobile variants are as outrageously overpriced as ever.

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
So more powerful integrated video chip and that's about it. Rather useless upgrade...that's what happens when there is no competition.
To be fair, there are quite a few people who have been asking for the iris pro iGPUs on desktop for a while now, so it feels kinda warranted. The whole compute thing, and people who aren't doing any gaming or 3D on their system.

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

People were buying Xeon E3s that had 4c/8t for the same price as an i5 and getting i7 performance. The obvious downsides are no iGPU (on that model) and no overclocking.

InvalidError

Titan

What Durandul said.

At one point, some Xeon models with specs on par with the i7 non-K models were selling for about the same price as the higher end of the i5 range. i7-like feature set and performance at i5-like prices.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
65w tdp, but the only upgrade over haswell s varients is the isis graphics. And that comes at a cache and frequency hit.

:/

InvalidError

Titan

You lose 2MB of L3 cache but you gain 128MB of L4. Some scenarios like the large L4 cache more than others.

The lower CPU core frequency likely has far more to do with the pipeline tweaks (re-shuffled execution ports, branch prediction tweaks, instruction scheduling tweaks, etc.) responsible for the 5% IPC boost than the IGP.

The current wave of reviews are using stock settings. We'll see what happens when they start messing around with overclocks.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I just don't see the point in broadwell when skylake is soo close. if skylake wasn't coming out for another year, I could understand but it's already outdated. skylake will support ddr4 and it seems like its chipset will support thunderbolt 3 and usb 3.1 which broadwell doesn't support any of those features I mentioned.

Gaidax

Distinguished
I think people do not realize just how big this is, if Intel is going to start churning out their CPUs with (pretty amazing) Iris Pro 6200, not only it will demolish AMD APUs, but it will also lead to even budget laptops having a pretty kickass 3D capabilities out of the box.

The real star of the show here is i5-5350H - it is pretty cheap and very good performer and with that Iris Pro it will basically match anything less than GeForce 960m. The only downside is that it is power hungry, but this dude alone can produce a lot of decent multimedia and reasonable gaming laptops without breaking anyone's bank.

Another interesting contender is i5-5575R, it basically shits bricks on any AMD APU both CPU and GPU-wise, while having a very reasonable cost, which opens a lot of budget build options that do not actually suck.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Man look at all that die area, and only 1/3rd of it is CPU. What a waste. A cheap $100 cpu + $100 discrete GPU will destroy the $366 chip. A $100 cpu and a $250 gpu will just utterly obliterate it.

There isn't much point to these chips. I guess if highest gpu performance you can get in the smallest package possible is your only concern, then these are the chips you want. But for a desktop that makes NO sense. You have plenty of room in the desktop space for a discrete gpu and cpu.

------------

Where are the 12 core 24 thread desktop chips for $250? Or at least 8 core 16 thread chips.

But, then they would be eating into their server chip prices right? So.....nooooo....cant have that can we. So annoyed at the stagnation of desktop processors. We should easily be at 8 core 16 thread desktop chips for the mid range and should be on 12-16 core 24-32 thread desktop chips for the high end desktop by now.

InvalidError

Titan

In two words: "System Integrators."

Broadwell is a drop-in replacement for Haswell, which means integrators can start using it with their existing motherboard stock at negligible extra cost (BIOS update) and start pumping out "new" models immediately. Skylake will require entirely new motherboard designs and comes with the additional early-adopter price tag for the new support components.

This may be unappealing to enthusiasts but you may want to keep in mind that the original leaked Broadwell roadmap did not have desktop models on it. More recently, Intel said it planned to let the market decide how quickly the transition from Broadwell to Skylake would occur, which implies Intel does not plan to make the two product lines overlap all that much.

Given Intel's trend of bumping prices up $20-30 per generation lately, you can expect the unlocked Skylake i5 to cost around $280, possibly more to widen the gap with Broadwell.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
With MS announcement about the possibilities of DX12 using integrated graphics in combination with dedicated this could actually have a place. Buy a GTX 970 and with the bump a good integrated solution could give you end up with GTX 980 performance. The price premium is the problem.
AMD needs to get off their arse and start making some worth while products. They haven't made a CPU worth buying in over 4 years (probably 6).

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
BORING!!!! A cpu over $150 let alone $200 (at the moment) from either AMD or INTEL is not worth it for the avg consumer.

Interesting note: As for gamers like many of us, I did a survery with Steam (Valve) check it out here.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

I don't think AMD is the one to get off their arses they are doing the best they can with what little they got and are learning to be leaner meaner machine. I believe Nvidia is going to get its arse handed to them in the next 5 years if they keep going the way they are. But what if Intel buys Nvidia? As for Intel, they are a monopoly and why the feds haven't touched them only leads one to believe they are in bed together.

Anyways check out those Steam stats...

napster100

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Man look at all that die area, and only 1/3rd of it is CPU. What a waste. A cheap $100 cpu + $100 discrete GPU will destroy the $366 chip. A $100 cpu and a $250 gpu will just utterly obliterate it.

There isn't much point to these chips. I guess if highest gpu performance you can get in the smallest package possible is your only concern, then these are the chips you want. But for a desktop that makes NO sense. You have plenty of room in the desktop space for a discrete gpu and cpu.

------------

Where are the 12 core 24 thread desktop chips for $250? Or at least 8 core 16 thread chips.

But, then they would be eating into their server chip prices right? So.....nooooo....cant have that can we. So annoyed at the stagnation of desktop processors. We should easily be at 8 core 16 thread desktop chips for the mid range and should be on 12-16 core 24-32 thread desktop chips for the high end desktop by now.

There's no 8 core CPUs simply because we don't need them. I'd rather Intel focus on single core performance than adding a ton of wasted cores. Look at AMDs flagship CPU, yes I'm talking about the best one they offer (FX-9590), it has 8 cores, that's double Intel's mid range i5 4690K, but this CPU isn' even top tier and it rips the FX-9590 to shreds. Imo, good job Intel and keep doing what you're doing, because it works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.