Intel Reveals Core i3, i5, i7 CPU Naming System

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]apmyhr[/nom]If I had to guess I would say that image is a fake photoshop (but very real looking). The only reason I can base this on is that the socket is 1366. Judging by past Intel history with socket compatibility, I really doubt Sandy Bridge will use the same socket as Nehalem. But maybe I'm wrong...[/citation]

Well, had I been show this a while back, I probably would have said it was fake aswell. But apparently CPU-Z can read tags the Processor has. Although I'm not sure if it can read AVX or not...

And LGA 775 has been around for almost a decade, maybe Intel's segmented sockets are to increase longevity?

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
[citation][nom]krazynutz[/nom]Frankly, I think it should work like this (with liberties taken, of course):Core i1 = AtomCore i3 = Celeron DCore i5 = Pentium D/QCore i7 = Core2 D/QCore i9 = Core2 Q ExtremeGet rid of different names and go strictly numbers. That would clear up everything Ah...we can dream...[/citation]
Thats the dumbest thing Ive ever read...

The Core2 is old tech, its going away. It doesnt need to be renamed.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]xyzionz[/nom]Sounds like BMW now..1 series...3 series...5 series...7 series...hey wait..where's 6 series ?i6 ? lol[/citation]
6 is neither prime nor odd, so I doubt it.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonfang18[/nom]I wish AMD did something like this... Still confused as to wether Phenom or Atholon is the fastest... Can anyone help clarify?[/citation]
Phenom is generally better because it has L3 cache which is shared across the cores. Also, I think Athalon is currently still capped at two cores whereas Phenom has 2, 3, and 4.

Well if they can battle and beat AMD in the mid enthousiast PC market I am all for it. But we all know that if you buy a 4870X2, putting anything else from 150$ to 900$ for a CPU will get you about the same result.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]hunter315[/nom]So since i5 is going to use a different socket than i7, will the i3 also use yet another socket? If intel is releasing processors for 3 or 4 sockets simultaneously then motherboards are going to get confusing quick.[/citation]
From what I understand, the socket is particular to the marker, e.g lynnfields (including i7, i5 and probably i3) will all use 1136..Nehalem i7s will continue using,thus having completely different processors under the same ix.. So branding strategies can never be more confusing especially for newBs..

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
No triple channel?
Sure, the extra bandwidth is unneeded, but we still want it.
:'(

I'll be looking forward to the new i7 line.
Wanted to by the current i7, but I guess I'll see how these handle.

exploresalot

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I have a few simple suggestions to make things simpler or make more sense:

Either ditch the Celeron, Pentium and Xeon names completely or embrace them completely. These are fairly well known as the ‘good, better, best’. Recently, Xeon have been customized more for servers, but originally if you had a desktop running a Xeon it was the best you could have for graphics/CAD.

Core 2 Duo, Quad, (and i7=QuadHT, soon to have Octo or OctoHT) make sense to people as to how many cores are in a processor. In addition, if you add the HT suffix it will show that technology with something else well-known. If you want to show newer technology in the single-core, you can change it to Core 3 or core 7, etc. to signify the newer technology but with the same amount of cores: Core 7 QuadHT for example

Try to stick to a simple way to differentiate the cache size, or FSB speed, and other differences. Here, keep all the normal cache sizes without suffix, smaller cache sizes with something like LC (little cache or low-cost depending what you want to convey). Larger cache processors can be denoted with M for more. The increases FSB speeds from the reference (again, keep all the un-denoted processors with the same FSB speed) as SC for the first increase, and SSC for the second increase.

Low-power versions (with the equivalent FSB and cache sizes) can be denoted as EE or e for energy efficient or eco-friendly.

To summarize, keep the important info in the same order and relative to each successive improvement in technology:

ie.:

Intel Pentium QuadHT ssc ee 3.9GHz

OR

Intel Core 7 Octo lc e 3.9GHz

|Brand| Type | #Cores| cache | energy| speed |

as these are the most important identifiers to people looking to compare processors, in order of relavency. If you want to add something like vPRO, Centrino, or any other software/hardware platform combination keep it separate as it really isn’t part of the processor.

G

will u tell me in Intel "i" series processors what is "i" stands for ???

Status
Not open for further replies.