Intel Reveals Details On Broadwell-U At CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptmmac

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Yawn, the death of Denson scaling has made each new CPU introduction so boring. Yes I would love to have better battery life, but when it takes decades to get significant results it is pretty hard to get very excited about things. During the late 90's we saw 1000 fold improvement in processing speed for single threads. We need a new process based on light that is not so close to melting down from power loss.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
28w for 3.1GHZ dual core computing? That is better than 37w or so of Haswell. Maybe 37w for Broadwell will be the midrange quad core laptop chips and maybe 6 core laptop chips will finally come out?
Wonder what kind of performance desktop CPUs (clockspeed) will have.

And then 11nm will be even better. Maybe 28w TDP for high clock speed quad cores..

Adroid

Distinguished
Realsense looks like a failure in the making. Would rather just have faster and cooler, but I'm a builder/pc type. I want to type on my PC not talk to it or wave at it.

Hopefully skylake will be more exciting.

mokki

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
Do the new broadwells have fixed transactional memory (tsx) support or is it still buggy and disabled?

InvalidError

Titan

AFAIK, desktop Broadwell was always tabled for late-2015 last year, Intel also said Skylake's launch was still on track for late-2015 as well.

As for Broadwell Y/U's launch, not impressed by the $300+ pricing on nearly all models.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I still haven't understood the point with Intel's attempts to make more powerful GPU's. As far as I know they're still not the least interested in maintaining their drivers, which means they often don't work with games they should be powerful enough to run.

hannibal

Distinguished
They make those faster GPUs for those who don't play games... or don't understand computer graphic... The new Intel GPU is better than old... it is worse than anything Nvidia or AMD can provide, but that is enough to most peoples...

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

This is from Intel's own Iris promo page at intel.com:

"Optimized for the Intel® Core™ processor family, Intel® Iris™ graphics boosts the 3D graphics performance of previous generations of Intel® graphics, delivering faster, smoother playback for the latest gaming titles, eye-popping experiences for blockbuster movies, and advanced HD video and photo editing for professional quality made easy."

They're selling it as a potential gaming GPU, but they couldn't care less after you've bought the processor. That's the point I'm trying to make.

hEt lEyd

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
my biggest hope for Surface Pro 4. it will use HD6000 right?
can't wait to see the gaming comparison with Surface Pro 3, espesially the i5 one's : )

ps: i saw the Nvidia Announces at CES and WTF~> 1024 GFLOPs for (FP16) Peak and 512 for (FP32). so it will be more powerfull than new Intel GPU's!

InvalidError

Titan

If you look at Intel's Iris Pro benchmarks, Intel's IGP is actually able to give AMD and Nvidia's low-end GPUs a run for their money. It won't make gamers give up their R7-260X or 750Ti but Iris Pro / HD6100 should be good enough for anything below that to not be worth bothering with to most people.

alextheblue

Distinguished
If you look at Intel's Iris Pro benchmarks, Intel's IGP is actually able to give AMD and Nvidia's low-end GPUs a run for their money. It won't make gamers give up their R7-260X or 750Ti but Iris Pro / HD6100 should be good enough for anything below that to not be worth bothering with to most people.
Not unless their drivers improve by leaps and bounds. Nvidia and AMD don't always release perfect drivers but they're far better than Intel's graphics drivers. But for most mainstream titles, yeah they'll be OK especially if you've got a model with GT3.

I am glad to see that Intel HD 6000 is coming out, even though we all use dedicated GPUs it will be nice for those people who cannot afford them or have laptops and want to do very mild gaming. I am interested on how it will perform compared to 4600. I am also surprised that the GPU takes up about 70% of the CPU size. They could release a 4mm CPU without the graphics :p

You guys cannot criticize Intel either for marketing their GPUs, for integrated they're perfectly fine. Of course they're going to use flowery terms and all, it's all sales.

But when will these companies realize that no one cares about voice commands.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
The graphics thing is rather obvious Intel wants a bigger piece of the mobile/tablet/laptop market. They won't be good at it, but if they can steal a % of the market away to meet some people's needs that's all they care about. They'll just keep chipping at it until they have the entire CPU/GPU demographic with no competition like they've wanted all along. As much as I dislike Intel I know AMD is no better and would be just as evil in the reverse situation. All I have to say is VIA where the hell are you we need competition or x86 software dominance needs to just die.

vampelle

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
any idea when Pentium processor n i3 broad well processor for desktop will be available in the market. and is it worth paying so much extra for them compare to haswell?
or i just buy desktop built with G3220 haswell processor?

So you're mad at Intel for trying to be a successful business?

InvalidError

Titan

Except the Celerons and Pentiums.

I wonder how many people get tricked into paying for a mobile i7 with 2C4T thinking mobile i7 should be similar to desktop i7, just more heavily tuned for power efficiency rather than performance.

If you look closely at the graph, the transistor count of the Broadwell-U processors is 1.9 billion and the Haswell-U were 1.3 billion, this indicates that they will definitely have a major boost of performance. I am unsure whether more of those transistors went into the Intel HD 6000 GPU or the cores of the CPU. All for extremely low power, so I think these CPUs are going to be more ideal for notebooks with the performance gain with the efficiency and coolness.

KenZen2B

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Has anyone done speed testing on the integrated Intel HD 6000 / 6100 GPU compared to discrete cards to see what it compares to ? Do they support UHD ?

InvalidError

Titan

You are not going to play 4k games on an IGP.

Intel's GT3e was in the R7-240/250 performance range and doubling that would barely bring it in the R7-250X/260's neighborhood, just enough to make most games reasonably playable at 1080p and medium detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.