Intel Reveals the End is Near for its Desktop Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
[citation][nom]caskachan[/nom]That means not producing Motherboards and lettign third parties take care of it right?[/citation]
Yes, and most builders don't seem to buy Intel boards anyway so this isn't such a blow to the community.

festerovic

Distinguished
There was a time when Intel motherboards represented high quality, great business solutions. Running business software on NT on pentium 3 boards, it was usually a lot easier to stick with intel for full compatibility. I haven't experienced anything like that in a while, so I might agree with them that their value as a board maker has declined. I think they are right, 3rd parties can make equivalent products, probably better too.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
This shouldn't be that big of a deal. I'm not sure I'm aware of anyone who actually used their motherboards. The design and performance of the products from their top board partners are almost always superior, especially recently.

festerovic

Distinguished
[citation][nom]anxiousinfusion[/nom]Yes, and most builders don't seem to buy Intel boards anyway so this isn't such a blow to the community.[/citation]
most companies buying workstations would likely choose intel over cheaper manufacturers like ECS, foxconn, jetway, etc. Businesses account for the big slice in the market, not system builders.

G

not a big deal for the enthusiast market, dont think Ive ever purchased an Intel branded MB.

Onihikage

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
No doubt they'd get back into the market if they felt there was a need, but since there currently isn't, it's smart of them to devote those resources to other departments.

G

it seems like intel boards were notorious for being overpriced compared to other manufacturers

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
My experience with Intel motherboards is that they are overpriced and missing features that competitors provide on their products. Most egregious is an Intel motherboard I bought last year that lacked virtualization support in the BIOS. Intel promotes that feature yet left it off several key motherboard models. Inexcusable. Nothing of value is lost by Intel leaving the business.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Sounds kinda familiar...

2008: Ron Fosner, an Intel Graphics and Gaming Technologist, claims that there will "probably be no need" in purchasing a dedicated graphics card in a short while.

Bwahahahahahahahaa! Wake me up when they stop exaggerating.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I think one of the reasons why Intel is pulling out because they plan on shrinking the motherboard into a die small enough for a standard CPU package.

Heck, they already added voltage regulators to their CPU die, and plan on incorporating the southbridge chip into the successor of Haswell.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Tmanishere[/nom]Sounds kinda familiar...2008: Ron Fosner, an Intel Graphics and Gaming Technologist, claims that there will "probably be no need" in purchasing a dedicated graphics card in a short while.Bwahahahahahahahaa! Wake me up when they stop exaggerating.[/citation]

Intel also claimed that Haswell's IGP will rival Nivida's GTX 650M, according to Anandtech...

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Author commentary = amusing: "leaving the field open for other motherboard manufacturers to fill in the gaps." Their mobos never made a significant dent in the market to begin with.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
G

Intel makes motherboards? I thought Foxconn made Intel and IBMs motherboards as well as others.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Some of you kiddie basement computer makes are funny! Back in my day we used Intel Motherboards for our workstations and server customers. Why, simple, because it was backed with a 3 to 5 year warranty with instant hot swap. Intel provided our techs training and roadmaps for all their products and also provided free components for us to build demo models. When Intel boards were not available for certain applications, we would use Asus or AOpen since they also gave us 3 year hot swap warranties.

When your clients are looking for reliability, nothing else compared!

Status
Not open for further replies.