Not open for further replies.
G

Intel says Pentium IV to hit 10ghz
Intel says Moblin to hit 2 second boot times
Intel says Atom to be greatest thing since sliced bread
Intel says Nehalem running at "very healthy" clockspeeds

Less talk, more engineering samples plzokthx

G

Am i the only one that thinks that the Atom sucks? Sure, it's not very power hungry, but not very power effecient either, i'd rather have something with a battery life of 20 minutes than 9 hours, as long as the things i want done actually gets done in those 20 minutes. But then again im a wee bit impatient. And before you say it, yes, i know "it's not meant to be powerful, it's only meant for surfing the web and light use" and that would be fine, but a price tag of 450 dollars for something like that, is just ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as buying a Mac instead of a PC, if you get my analogy, and if not = It's too expensive for what it is.

yoda8232

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I've still trying to see what programs use 4 cores other than Crysis and Sins of a Solar Empire, this is stupid.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
[citation][nom]yoda8232[/nom]I've still trying to see what programs use 4 cores other than Crysis and Sins of a Solar Empire, this is stupid.[/citation]
GTA IV

G

Just as there a those that wonder why someone would need more than 3 gig of ram. If you don't understand why, that doesn't not mean "this is stupid"; it just means you are posting way out of your league.

(Of course I'm assuming this is still an enthusiast website)

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
[citation][nom]yoda8232[/nom]Both, there are more games but I don't know any programs that support 4 cores.[/citation]

Most high end and popular video and photo editing software do.

I need 6 gigs of ram. I have 4 and it's really been making me mad when my computer lags as it runs out of ram. 3 or less would just suck.

sassan

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]yoda8232[/nom]I've still trying to see what programs use 4 cores other than Crysis and Sins of a Solar Empire, this is stupid.[/citation]

GTA4 comes to mind.

G

Well if you people relize there is more then just games out there.... I know as soon as 6 core cpu are out and you have a quad cpu server you can host alot of virtual servers.... If you take the time there is a program called Hyper-V which comes with Windows 20008 64-bit and another program called vm ware that would love having the 6 cores on 4 cpu's to run a crap load of virtual servers...... MORE TO LIFE THEN GAMES! This is tomshardware not tomsgames.....

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
So you ran an article based on a story on another website that suggested that the Intel chip was delayed, and then you didn't check the Intel release schedule? That's funny.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
also, PCSX, if im not mistaken, uses more than 4 cores. fritz, quite a lot of media encoders, and if your like me in any way, you use a dual core and cry because its not letting you multitask enough

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Left 4 Dead actually puts load on all four of my cores when enabling multicore rendering.

Anyways, I'm not anticipating a sexacore configuration since quadcore works for most gamers. I say this being a workstation thing for a year or two before it trickles down to the masses.

[citation][nom]daft[/nom]also, PCSX, if im not mistaken, uses more than 4 cores. fritz, quite a lot of media encoders, and if your like me in any way, you use a dual core and cry because its not letting you multitask enough[/citation]

Actually, the developers said it only takes advantage of max. 2 cores.

chrisdee

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Digidesign ProTools8 needs and uses all the cores it can get.
I would guess all video/photo/audio recording/editing software take full advantage of all the cores.

There are actually people that use their pc's for other things than surfing or word/excel.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]MoUsE-WiZ[/nom]yoda: you mean "programs" or "games"? There's a distinct difference.[/citation]
No there isn't. A game is a program too. As is the calculator, internet browser and your favorite media player.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I was wondering about the article as well. Gulftown has always been H1 2010 and it said it was delayed from Q4 2009 which didn't make sense. It may be my next upgrade if more programs become multithreaded. Until then, I'll stick with my overclocked dual core.

avericia

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Games that I've played that use 4 cores very well UT3, COD5, Warhammer, Crysis, Dawn of war 2.

Many New games are coming out that take advantage of extra cores and as prices keep falling quad cores are becoming more mainstream.

[citation][nom]hexcoreluvr[/nom]Intel says Pentium IV to hit 10ghzIntel says Moblin to hit 2 second boot timesIntel says Atom to be greatest thing since sliced breadIntel says Nehalem running at "very healthy" clockspeedsLess talk, more engineering samples plzokthx[/citation]

Lets see, Pentium 4 is capable of hitting 10ghz if it went down to 45-32nm but got canned because of thermal/power limitations (unforseen at the time - 130nm erra etc), second Moblin - what OS to define those 2 seconds? DOS? third - Atom - is a big hit for netbooks and starts the ball rolling for small x86 windows based devices etc - about time! and fourth Nahelem - it is healthy and running like it supposed to, whats wrong with it???

Again - DO WE ALL STILL USE SINGLE CORES???? HELL NO - EVERYTHING IS NOW DUAL CORE MINIMUM - SAME ARGUMENTS WITH 4 CORE, 6 CORE NOW AND IN FUTURE REFERENCE 8+ CORE - THINGS USE IT.

[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]But that game's so poor it shouldn't really count as a game. Worst investment since halo 2.[/citation]

Nuffin wrong with a game that uses a quad core - just somethin wrong with the age of your systems - Pentium D's and And Athlon 64's are simply too old for modern gaming ;) along with your Nvidia 7800's etc

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]Nuffin wrong with a game that uses a quad core - just somethin wrong with the age of your systems - Pentium D's and And Athlon 64's are simply too old for modern gaming along with your Nvidia 7800's etc[/citation]
So you blame halo 2's very poor visuals on the 8800gtx I had at the time? or the fact that gta 4 is likely to be the worst gave I've tried since halo 2 on the 4870 that I use now?
I know my system's 'old' but I still think a 3,4ghz dualcore with 4gb memory and a single gpu card should be sufficient - and it's not performance that's my problem with the two games mentioned in the first place. It's the game part of it. They're horrible products.

Status
Not open for further replies.