Status
Not open for further replies.

slickuser

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
whats wrong in that statement? Intel's integrated graphics is not
the best but serves well enough for most uses for basic tasks
including watching movies.

[citation][nom]slickuser[/nom]whats wrong in that statement? Intel's integrated graphics is notthe best but serves well enough for most uses for basic tasksincluding watching movies.[/citation]

Haha then why did they want to get "better performance" ?

[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]amd would pwn intel if they did the same thing. come on 780g with a low power Athlon = pine trail killer. come amd step into it.[/citation]

I was hoping they would bring the old K7/AthlonXP design from 130nm to 45nm/32nm with a few tweaks and low clock speeds to counter the Atom sooner or later - its otherwise an Intel owned market.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
its like saying in this day and age "we're going to give our military archers longer range bows better performance".
well, it may be 'better' but that sure as hell doesn't mean it's GOOD, or even good enough!

G

If the GPU part end up good enough to decode 1080p content and allowing some low-setting gaming in smaller resolutions it's definitely a big deal for consumers and Intel both.

While I'm not really in the market for a laptop or nettop myself that's the kind of performance level I'd expect from such a GPU solution.

On the other hand, if it's not good enough for that kind of work we'll end up paying more for less as we'd still need a third party chipset to go with the integrated GPU.

downer88

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Exodite10[/nom]If the GPU part end up good enough to decode 1080p content and allowing some low-setting gaming in smaller resolutions it's definitely a big deal for consumers and Intel both.[/citation]
Even Ion with nvidia chip wasn't able to play Blu-Ray.

You can't expect miracles from only _8 watts_ for 1.6 Ghz dual core Atom 330. Even 2.0 Ghz single core VIA C7 is 20 watts. Much more realistic processors at 35 watts for AMD and Intel --even for nettop.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]its like saying in this day and age "we're going to give our military archers longer range bows better performance". well, it may be 'better' but that sure as hell doesn't mean it's GOOD, or even good enough![/citation]
The nVidia Ion can decode 1080p fast enough, but useless if the CPU can't decode HDCP fast enough.
Enough though the Atom is fast enough for normal office/web apps, being able to view HD movies should also be part of the min specs.
Anyway, this is where I draw the line between better and good.

Everyone is thinking more in terms of gaming. The IGPs Intel currently has is great for decoding Blu-Ray and HD 1080p.

Integrating the GPU onto the die will lower latency and probably allow for better eprformance. Of course we cannot judge it until we see it but for the purpose Intel set it to be it will do fine.

And a Athlon CPU would have to be quite small in order to compete. They would have to do as Intel did and strip a lot from it. Atoms size and power usage alone is so minimal that unless AMD cut down a lot of features the Athlon XP even at 45nm would not be able to compete.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Interesting.
Possible to use this on a PDA? PSP? etc.

Though it's not all bad. I was just flipping through the paper, and saw one cumpany selling a phenom 2 with 8GB of ram as a gaming desktop... with a HD4350 in it... (To game what? Pacman?)

G

Probably will be released in okt-december. That would be late for the netbook manufacturers,and give them little time to integrate the chip on their netbooks.

G

Better performance on a netbook = better battery life, lower power consumption, and be lighter so it would be great for using the internet, the thing it's meant to do.

And it would also be cheaper to manufacture. The new platform will also run Windows 7 fine. If you're buying a netbook to run Blurays on a 10" screen, with no Bluray player, you're an idiot.

downer88

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
[citation][nom]greg_jones[/nom]If you're buying a netbook to run Blurays on a 10" screen, with no Bluray player, you're an idiot.[/citation]
I didn't mean that a netbook should play Blu-Ray, just that nvidia's ION is much better than Intel's solution, but still can't do basic tasks because of weak Atom processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.