News Intel Says Goodbye to Rocket Lake CPUs

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Admittedly, not a lot of folks responded well to the 11th gen CPU, particularly after the 10th gen i9's that touted 10 cores. The backtrack disappointed many and just doesn't seem they were very popular among enthusiasts. The K skews are still quite expensive, but have been noting a decent price drop on the i3 and i5 flavors. The 5xx series motherboards are pretty cheap now as well and in particular the Z models.
I think one of my favorite aspects about them is the RAM support being so strong. Being the culimation of a half dozen refreshes made them play quite well with almost any sticks. The biggest issue with them IMO was the heat generation on the upper skews. In spite of that, if you are comfortable purchasing a "dead end" socket, there is a lot of value floating around on the market for what is still a very powerful setup.

artk2219

Distinguished
Is this typical, in terms of a new CPU gen (now being old) continued production beyond the next 2 gen? What is the typical lifetime in most cases?
For Intel, yes its very typical, atleast for the higher end parts. The lower end celerons, pentiums, I3's and a few I5's may stick around for a bit longer with an H or Q series chipset, but the high end stuff has already been replaced twice over. That would make it time for those production lines to be replace to start making space for newer high end parts.

For Intel, yes its very typical, atleast for the higher end parts. The lower end celerons, pentiums, I3's and a few I5's may stick around for a bit longer with an H or Q series chipset, but the high end stuff has already been replaced twice over. That would make it time for those production lines to be replace to start making space for newer high end parts.
OEM product lines tend to keep the older CPUs around for a while. I suspect 13th gen will be around a good while for its DDR4 compatibility, and why they are pricing the 13100 and 13400 chips so favorably.

That's interesting to know. I mean, I didn't think they would just completely stop once the new gen come out, so there must be some demand for them. OEM's prob make sense there, as they will shift some units, regardless of gen.

Reactions: artk2219

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
You forgot AVX-512. Rocket Lake were the first mainstream desktop CPUs to have it.

...not that it either performed that well on them, or very efficiently. In fact, I'm pretty sure the AVX-512 -intensive workloads were the CPU's hottest, driving it to levels of power consumption we'd never seen in a mainstream CPU to that point. Of course, that's largely due to its 14 nm node and Intel loosening the reigns on power consumption that kept the prior AVX-512 -equipped CPUs (mostly server and workstation) in check.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
What is the typical lifetime in most cases?
Depends. Some select SKUs are long-life, with availability windows stretching as long as 10 years. Rocket Lake had no such models. I actually checked for... reasons.

Intel does this so that people can build them into specialized equipment with exceptionally long product cycles. If you have a need for a long-life model, Intel can tell you which are so-designated.

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
So is my Intel B460 not supported anymore? should i immediately start looking into a 13th Gen build.

Air Cooling, maybe Mugen 5 Rev C cooler (if local shop would install it) as i'm terrible at installing CPU Coolers myself)

(Tried with Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 in May 2022 with my Current 10th Gen I7 10700, and failed terribley, the backplate securing things came off, and got stuck in the bracket that was to hold the new Cooler on. I finally was like will just get Pc to shop that built it, and take whatever Air cooler thats in stock

Ended up with Arctic Freezer 7X

Amdlova

Distinguished
So is my Intel B460 not supported anymore? should i immediately start looking into a 13th Gen build.

Air Cooling, maybe Mugen 5 Rev C cooler (if local shop would install it) as i'm terrible at installing CPU Coolers myself)

(Tried with Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 in May 2022 with my Current 10th Gen I7 10700, and failed terribley, the backplate securing things came off, and got stuck in the bracket that was to hold the new Cooler on. I finally was like will just get Pc to shop that built it, and take whatever Air cooler thats in stock

Grab a z590 asus or msi it's somewhat 100usd. Make a mild overclock with fsb and release the power bar and it's done. You can wait another years with these 10700 =) wait for another gen.

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Ok will do on waiting, Will check out Z590 boards from Asus, and go from there. Current Board is Gigabyte B460M_DS3H ((Only board local place offered in June 2020 when i got this system built))

Cooler currently is Arctic Freezer 7X , but still might upgrade cooler someday to the Mugen 5 Black Model possibly

intel being intel ig, atleast better than having the same pin mobo (LGA 1151) that have 2 diff revision, only to be modded and ran 8th-9th gen cpu on 1xx/2xx chipsets (althrough not all of them would work/perform better)

But here i am, still strong on i3 10105F :p

Amdlova

Distinguished
Try find the deep cool ak400 or ak620 get cheap one. I think have reviewed here in toms. You can increase in the bios the fsb to 102.5 MHz and leave the cpu power. Your 10700 maybe will eat 170w or more give a huge performance boost.

well, tbh this "upgrade" thing always depends, since i7 10700 itself is already a good cpu, lga 1700 is otw to be EOL ed too once 14th-15th gen release, which is kinda sucks if you aim for 1 board, long support cpu like AM4/5. B460 itself is already ok if you dont need rocket lake and ram OC, with such a locked cpu, a b560 board would be enough for ram oc if you do ram oc, and a z490/590 would be ok if you want to try bclk oc.

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Ram overclock i'd do, i never overclocked a processor before

So i'd even be happy with a B560 if i was to upgrade this current motherboard to an Asus B560, not sure on Z board since this Processor is locked.

Don't think i really need to upgrade to 12 or 13 Gen as yet, as this current platform, does meet my needs pretty much as is right now

Amdlova

Distinguished
Ram overclock i'd do, i never overclocked a processor before

So i'd even be happy with a B560 if i was to upgrade this current motherboard to an Asus B560, not sure on Z board since this Processor is locked.

Don't think i really need to upgrade to 12 or 13 Gen as yet, as this current platform, does meet my needs pretty much as is right now
B560 has somewhat same price of the z590... when you will upgrade maybe can sell the z590 full price. The power and bclk will free 20% more performance. B560 will be good only if has cheap as he'll (50 60 bucks).

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Huh? Whatever were the warranty terms of your board and CPU still apply. This just means they're planning the to shut down the last of the manufacturing lines producing these CPU and chipsets.

Right now, it's just an announcement. If you follow the link, it says the cutoff to order these products is August 25, 2023.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
lga 1700 is otw to be EOL ed too once 14th-15th gen release,
Not exactly. They won't stop manufacturing all LGA 1700 chipsets and CPUs the same way they are with Rocket Lake. Some of the Gen 12 CPUs have long-life availability.

That doesn't mean they won't change the socket for Gen 14, though*. Of course they will. They're Intel, and that's what they do - they give you 2 generations on a socket, and then they change something - even if it's just the power spec, like they changed between Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake.

* There are rumors that Meteor Lake will be laptop-only, while desktop users will get a Raptor Lake refresh. In that case, it's possible LGA 1700 might last all the way into early 2024.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Just Curious

Commendable
Sep 16, 2020
Oh ok i tend to panic at times, relaxes in that case then, and researches possible upgrades to make my gaming more enjoyable

I'm still running an i7-5820k with DDR 2600 and a GTX 1070 with no issues, gaming and multitasking. There's definitely no reason to panic and the driving factor behind your next upgrade should be performance needs or wants. If everything you're doing is running fine, it's better for you in the long run to wait because as the newest generations release, prices on previous generations of decrease.

TLDR you will get better performance per dollar that way.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm still running an i7-5820k with DDR 2600 and a GTX 1070 with no issues, gaming and multitasking.
Yeah, and didn't Microsoft still support Windows 10 on Core 2 CPUs from like 2006?

researches possible upgrades to make my gaming more enjoyable
I suggest looking at the cost vs. benefit of any upgrades. In other words, research how much higher fps a given upgrade would give you. Then, compare that to the cost of the upgrade, and ask yourself if it's worth that amount of money to get that much performance improvement.

Another consideration is how long you think it'll be until the upgrade after that, because that might help you pick a good point where you can hang on to at least some components for quite a while. And that leads to considerations about upgrade path.

For instance, I'm currently looking at getting an i5 with 32 GB DDR5. Then, I might swap it out for an i9, when Raptor Lake refresh drops. Finally, I might upgrade that DDR5 memory and get a newer GPU. That way, I'm not spending like $2k all at once, and I'll end up with a system that's more up-to-date than if I just bought the best currently available.

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
going to eventually buy an 11th gen. My mobo has pcie 4.0 disabled, and ram speed capped if it's a 10th gen installed. But of course, the 10th gen I have is still more than enough for my encoding and gaming needs... buying the 11th gen will be only when there's plenty of extra cash.