Intel Says Thunderbolt Optical Cables Coming This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Kinda surprising that motherboard manufacturers haven't released a board with Thunderbolt yet.
I mean.. Technically you spend tons to get the best of the best and if your missing out on something then your really not getting it.

Still, many of us here don't even have a need for Thunderbolt or AMD's alternative Lightningbolt.
It's always nice to have just in case.

By the way.. If it supports PCI-E 2.0 then there should be external GPU enclosures arriving (Obviously externally powered) so you can boost GPU performance on upcoming laptops, which would be ESPECIALLY welcomed on Ultrabooks.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom] If it supports PCI-E 2.0 then there should be external GPU enclosures arriving (Obviously externally powered) so you can boost GPU performance on upcoming laptops, which would be ESPECIALLY welcomed on Ultrabooks.[/citation]

I think that is a goal in the long term, but the probem right now is that Thunderbold still isn't fast enough!!!!
Mabey once it's PCie 3.0, but I don't think it's soon!!!!

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
This cable will be handy when the Thunderbolt to PCIe graphics cards become cheaper.. Wait, we are talking about Thunderbolt, cheap shouldn't be in the same sentence.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Thunderbolt has the bandwidth to run external video cards. The problem is the latency in those long external connections inherent in Thunderbolt enabled external video cards.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I think we need a lot more THUNDERBOLT devices before this will take off. Who gives a crap about the cable if there is nothing to connect it to.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I think I read somewhere that the licensing fee for thunderbolt is $27 per device. Perhaps that's why it hasn't caught on yet

G

LightPeak is the technology and it was developed by Intel. The technology is 20 Gbps (not 10) 1 direction. They rebranded it Thunderbolt when dropping the optical for Apple. It is compatible with DisplayPort, USB, SATA, possibly even Firewire. The idea is to replace them all with 1 interface. The technology is supposed to scale to 100 Gbps. At that speed, it could even be used for many purposes. It is great technology and would be nice it if was adopted, but the cost is prohibitive obviously.

G

The ASUS RoG Crosshair V Formula had Thunderbolt in July last year, so Thunderbolt has been on the PC platform for 8 months. Way to check your facts...

ryandsouza

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
[citation][nom]whyso[/nom]I think we need a lot more THUNDERBOLT devices before this will take off. Who gives a crap about the cable if there is nothing to connect it to.[/citation]
Ahh... Couldn't have put it better...

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
None of this matters if 3rd party companies aren't going to jump onboard, esp if many 3rd party companies arent' going to find a use for it and support something that cost more then USB. USB is here to stay for a long time. There are millions and millions of devices that support USB and that's what matters to 3rd party companies and many consumors. I mean USB is backwards compatable for one which means the newest gen can support even the oldest gen USB devices and that's saying a lot about USB's compatability. Thunderbolt can't say the same and that's the biggest factor that many consumors look for is compatability with their devices and not so much how fast it is. USB will be the standard for many years to come. If there is one thing close to a future proof product that you can count on for many years it's USB as it has shown that for many years now.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
This is all wrong! we already have thunderbolt copper cables that ALREADY deliver the maximum theoretical bandwidth of the CURRENT thunderbolt specification. There's no need for overpriced optical cables UNLESS they revise and update the spec to greater speeds.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Kinda surprising that motherboard manufacturers haven't released a board with Thunderbolt yet.I mean.. Technically you spend tons to get the best of the best and if your missing out on something then your really not getting it.[/citation]
Tehcnically, many mainboards out there, with labels like "USB3", "Sata 6Gb", "PCIE x16" can in fact simultaneously support EITHER USB3 OR Sata 6Gb or PCIe x16, thanks to über chipset by dear Intel.

Adding "thunderbolt" to it makes it even more insulting.

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
I work with fiber optics and unless you want to spend a lot of money for more bandwidth the only real advantage is the distance data can be transmitted and received. A big disadvantage is how poorly fiber handles abuse. You can't throw fiber in your bag because it can break, nor can you allow the ends to come in contact with anything. If you get dust on an end and plug it in you run the risk of scratching not only the connector tip surface that light travels through on the cable, but you'll also scratch the surface of whatever your plugging the cable into, which can cause it to no longer work as it should. When light hits imperfections along a path it scatters or can be blocked entirely.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Kinda surprising that motherboard manufacturers haven't released a board with Thunderbolt yet.I mean.. Technically you spend tons to get the best of the best and if your missing out on something then your really not getting it.Still, many of us here don't even have a need for Thunderbolt or AMD's alternative Lightningbolt.It's always nice to have just in case.By the way.. If it supports PCI-E 2.0 then there should be external GPU enclosures arriving (Obviously externally powered) so you can boost GPU performance on upcoming laptops, which would be ESPECIALLY welcomed on Ultrabooks.[/citation]

Yeah, I wonder why they don't all put that on mother..... OH I remember. It's because the cable cost $50 for 2m. Fiber optic cables also aren't well known for their hardiness. So, plan on continually buying $50 cables as long as you use this format.

What a retarded design flaw...

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Kinda surprising that motherboard manufacturers haven't released a board with Thunderbolt yet.I mean.. Technically you spend tons to get the best of the best and if your missing out on something then your really not getting it.Still, many of us here don't even have a need for Thunderbolt or AMD's alternative Lightningbolt.It's always nice to have just in case.By the way.. If it supports PCI-E 2.0 then there should be external GPU enclosures arriving (Obviously externally powered) so you can boost GPU performance on upcoming laptops, which would be ESPECIALLY welcomed on Ultrabooks.[/citation]
Sony already offers a external GPU for it's Vaio Z line using thunderbolt. But I don't think their the only ones to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.