News Intel secures $3.25B Israeli gov't grant to build $25B chip fab in Israel amid ongoing tensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Intel is doing a lot of building. They must have a lot of confidence.

I'm not questioning their choices as they have surely done the research, but that noted 42km from the Gaza Strip sounds pretty small when you compare it to my average 10 speed bike ride this last summer of roughly the same distance. My drive to work is 56km. Imagine how clean and peaceful a cutting edge 2028 fab will be.

Sometimes the world seems like a small place.

And to help keep things non political, here's a picture of my average 10 speed bike:
oiwpvEs.jpg

Intel is definitely spreading around a lot, and this mostly seems like a big investment in IFS success. They could afford to move along on manufacturing nodes when Intel is the vast majority of the fab business and any other is beholden to their whims, but if they want to compete with Samsung/TSMC they need big capacity for more nodes. We'll see over the next two or so years how many of these fabs get built out.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
And to help keep things non political, here's a picture of my average 10 speed bike:
oiwpvEs.jpg
After too many brain-rattling bumps, I gave in and got a bicycle with both a front shock absorber and a block of squishy rubber to soak up bumps in the rear. Not as lightweight, but much more comfortable. At least I didn't go for an e-bike (though they were still niche, at the time).

Then, also spent some serious money on a proper headlight for it, so I could more easily see (and dodge) potholes.

Last edited:

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
This apparent contradiction can be explained by the fact that the forums are separate from the site's editorial content and decisions.

Regardless of whatever the editors decide to publish on the main site, the forum moderators enforce the forum rules. Official forum rules are posted here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rluker5

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Intel is definitely spreading around a lot, and this mostly seems like a big investment in IFS success. They could afford to move along on manufacturing nodes when Intel is the vast majority of the fab business and any other is beholden to their whims, but if they want to compete with Samsung/TSMC they need big capacity for more nodes. We'll see over the next two or so years how many of these fabs get built out.
I'm a bit suspicious that the unexpectedly large manufacturing investments might be partially motivated by an inflation hedge of owning manufacturing assets. And that outside investors may be contributing to this as well. I'm no financial expert, but my property taxes this year went up by 23%, no improvements. I'm probably an outlier, but government's costs are going up as well as everyone else's and their contribution to the inflation feedback loop is often delayed. I also suspect inflation will continue to be higher than normal. I'm not an expert so hopefully I'm wrong on both counts.
After too many brain-rattling bumps, I gave in and got a bicycle with both a front shock absorber and a block of squishy rubber to soak up bumps in the rear. Not as lightweight, but much more comfortable. At least I didn't go for an e-bike (though they were still niche, at the time).

Then, also spent some serious money on a proper headlight for it, so I could more easily see (and dodge) potholes.
I mostly bike the lonely highways by my house and they have a lot of rolling hills. The first thing I would look for in a new bike would be more than 10 speeds. Some of those hills can be a real hassle to get up and I usually have to put my full weight on the pedals on the lowest gear going up them. Having granny gears would make my leisure motivated bike rides notably more relaxing, but I would have to swallow a bit of pride and feel like a bit of a wuss. I'm pretty sure I'm basically the only one even aware of this so maybe after struggling up a few more hills in the spring I might give in and upgrade. Comfort or self centered pride. It sure would be nice to be perfect.

Nice to hear of another biker in the forums.

and the struggle is real:
GUwzCVX.jpg

vk3lhMQ.jpg

The speed on a rigid steel bike with 100+psi tires feels great, but it would probably feel almost exactly the same on an aluminum one with physical comfort features.

Reactions: thestryker

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I also suspect inflation will continue to be higher than normal. I'm not an expert so hopefully I'm wrong on both counts.
The Federal Reserve recently announced they expect to cut interest rates, in 2024. That's a very positive sign about their expectations of inflation. As far as I know, they still haven't revised their target of 2%. To be doing rate cuts, they must expect it'll be getting close to that.

Having granny gears would make my leisure motivated bike rides notably more relaxing, but I would have to swallow a bit of pride and feel like a bit of a wuss.
As long as you don't get an e-bike, I think you have plenty to be proud of (no offense to e-bike owners who truly need the assistance). With any regular bike, you can at least say that 100% of the hill climbing effort would still be coming from your muscles.

Nice to hear of another biker in the forums.
Just around town, when traffic is light.

and the struggle is real:
Impressive!

I have some hills around me. The first time I tried to go up one, I felt like I almost died. Then, I built up some more stamina before I tried again.

Reactions: rluker5
Status
Not open for further replies.