intel server replacing the cpu fan to loud ? any help ? got a idea

mxjosh

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
hey guys i got a intel server and it use blowers and they our really loud dont fancy spending 30 pounds on cpu coolers for it , each , so i wonder if i could put two fans on the cpu heat sinks instead would it work there not alot off load on the cpus due its a 2x quad core here a picture
as you can see there is the blowers http://gyazo.com/4fde249da0644dccd7bd56b4fb7c4504

Solution
If you intend to put a fan above the heat sink, you also intend to leave the top off? The blowers move air over the entire motherboard as well as the CPUs. RAM, voltage regulators, add-in cards all get airflow from those when the top is on. With the top off, it might be OK or it might not. Most servers have a management port (HP ILO, IPMI, etc) that let you monitor the temps. Most desktop temp monitor programs don't work well with server hardware.

kanewolf

Titan
If you intend to put a fan above the heat sink, you also intend to leave the top off? The blowers move air over the entire motherboard as well as the CPUs. RAM, voltage regulators, add-in cards all get airflow from those when the top is on. With the top off, it might be OK or it might not. Most servers have a management port (HP ILO, IPMI, etc) that let you monitor the temps. Most desktop temp monitor programs don't work well with server hardware.

Solution