News Intel Shares Alder Lake Pricing, Specs and Gaming Performance: $589 for 16 Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
589$ is awesome, very interesting
If I do upgrade I'll go with DDR4 since I already have a good 4400 bdie kit
That's the 1K tray pricing, not "plebian" MSRP.

At retail it'll definitely be more than that. Still, finding it under $700 may be totally possible, so good news there for sure. I'd say it's like at least 20% increase over the prices mentioned.

Seems like Intel is not going ballistic with pricing, so that also hints at them being cautious. Not a bad thing, TBH.

Regards.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
As an AMD user all I care about Alder Lake is the price and I do hope these are the real prices on launch, even if these are only the mythical MSRPs, they should make AMD drop their Zen3 prices too.

So that's good news if true, for me.

Also I like how in their own gaming benchmarks intel has a average of about +15% lead over Zen3, like the same gap Zen3 V-Cache will add. Not the +50% all the synthetic benchmarks and click-bait titles were shouting from the rooftops up until now...

Yes and all the big chains that will buy way more than just 1k will get them for cheaper than that.

First couple of weeks are going to be higher prices because that always happens, the big question is what will happen after that, if scalpers will be a big issue or if they are going to be sold for more by retailers.
I was told Microcenter already has it listed for $650.

Regards.

Reactions: artk2219

nervousstate

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018

At retail it'll definitely be more than that. Still, finding it under $700 may be totally possible, so good news there for sure. I'd say it's like at least 20% increase over the prices mentioned.

Seems like Intel is not going ballistic with pricing, so that also hints at them being cautious. Not a bad thing, TBH.

Regards.
Not to mention everything else will be a premium at launch. PCIe5 and DDR5 are not going to make motherboards more affordable and DDR5 is at least 2X the price of DDR4 and overclocking the memory to actually achieve a benefit is still very much unknown and different than DDR3/4 due to the change to the power delivery as well as everything else that is new. We are also going to see the extended L3 Cache launched very soon from amd which they suggested is going to have a 20% improvement along with 16 REAL cores for about the same price as the 5950X - It does look like they have improved Single threaded performance over AMD but youll never get the same performance with 8 Atom Cores. The i5 looks like a compelling offer though. 6C/12T + 4 Low-Power Cores is going to compete well against the 5600X and LP cores will be nice for running docker containers or network services without effecting gaming performance. Unless of course AMD drops the price a little...

Reactions: Sleepy_Hollowed

Makaveli

Splendid

Regards.

Alot of people seem to not understand this is 1k tray pricing or just don't read.

here is you microcenter price

12900k - $ 670

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021

Regards.

BestBuy had 12900k this morning for $620, not sure if they are sold out yet.

D1v1n3D

Distinguished
May 8, 2015
This is great news :D better for the consumer for sure. vcache will likely match it's performance in single core I mean they have better binning happening now and likely higher base and boost clocks on top of this vcache most things are transitioning to 6nm 5nm and 3nm utilizing the 7nm space. They likely were able to launch vcache this month or next but are waiting to see what intel releases in real world practice first no grain of salt needed. I'm sure they have many different projects and directions their going and trying. That's what a smart player like Dr. Lisa Su and her uncle Jensen Huang do. Like Steve jobs did started two teams and challenged each other to do better than one another in different directions. Not limiting yourself to one set way. How many ways can you carve a pumpkin? Very smart business. the vcache was a bit of surprise to the industry at this time in the first place...

No mention of power usage (though i did skim read through the pages) - Isn't Alder Lake supposed to be quite a hungry beast compared to its AMD competitors?
They did, on page 2 of 6.
Hopefully separating the two power draws will force more reviewers to actually show both of those instead of only showing the maximum peak power of the highest overclock.

All of that changes now, as Intel has redefined its power nomenclature to have a 'Processor Boost Power' (PBP) value representing the guaranteed base performance level (PL1). This replaces TDP.

In addition, Intel will also now list a 'Maximum Turbo Power' (MTP) specification that quantifies the power consumption during Turbo Boost, also known as PL2. That means you'll no longer see a TDP rating on the spec sheet. Instead, there will be two values that more accurately reflect both sides of the equation.

This is great news :D better for the consumer for sure. vcache will likely match it's performance in single core I mean they have better binning happening now and likely higher base and boost clocks on top of this vcache most things are transitioning to 6nm 5nm and 3nm utilizing the 7nm space. They likely were able to launch vcache this month or next but are waiting to see what intel releases in real world practice first no grain of salt needed. I'm sure they have many different projects and directions their going and trying. That's what a smart player like Dr. Lisa Su and her uncle Jensen Huang do. Like Steve jobs did started two teams and challenged each other to do better than one another in different directions. Not limiting yourself to one set way. How many ways can you carve a pumpkin? Very smart business. the vcache was a bit of surprise to the industry at this time in the first place...
Yeah but if v-cache increases prices more than the $40 the 12900k is costing more (even less for the lower skus) then it's not going to be a super good argument for getting one.
Also v-cache can only help in situations where cache can help while ecores can help in any case where multithreading can help and then some.

spinitboy

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
They did, on page 2 of 6.
Hopefully separating the two power draws will force more reviewers to actually show both of those instead of only showing the maximum peak power of the highest overclock.
Cheers Terry - missed it. Hopefully the full reviews will show a like-for-like comparison as I have a feeling Intel can best AMD but only at the expense of more watts!

Reactions: phenomiix6
As an AMD user all I care about Alder Lake is the price and I do hope these are the real prices on launch, even if these are only the mythical MSRPs, they should make AMD drop their Zen3 prices too.

So that's good news if true, for me.

Also I like how in their own gaming benchmarks intel has a average of about +15% lead over Zen3, like the same gap Zen3 V-Cache will add. Not the +50% all the synthetic benchmarks and click-bait titles were shouting from the rooftops up until now...
Don't see it happening. Just look at the price of the Ryzen 3600 vs the i5 10400F or the Ryzen 5600x vs the i5 11400F. AMD doesn't have much control over their cpu pricing seeing how unlike Intel, they don't have their own foundries.

Apr 1, 2020
Looks like I'll be sticking to my undervolted 4.2ghz 3700X for the foreseeable future since there's not going to be a price war. Still, not all bad.

2smpqs.png

Considering they always lie in these benches I take its just on par with ryzen and about 5 to 10% better where it takes the edge. I didn't buy the whole (massive quotes) double digit IPC improvements on the fail 11gen, as much to actually be slower than 10gen, dubious ddr5 support, and a peak 240w draw which is the basically the sustained as everybody will just overclock to run at 5.0 to 5.2 24/7 anyways. I expected better for a smaller node.... sticking with 10gen, which sadly only lacks pcie4

Reactions: phenomiix6
Considering they always lie in these benches I take its just on par with ryzen and about 5 to 10% better where it takes the edge. I didn't buy the whole (massive quotes) double digit IPC improvements on the fail 11gen, as much to actually be slower than 10gen, dubious ddr5 support, and a peak 240w draw which is the basically the sustained as everybody will just overclock to run at 5.0 to 5.2 24/7 anyways. I expected better for a smaller node.... sticking with 10gen, which sadly only lacks pcie4
Seriously, the 12900k will have 8 more cores than the 11900k and you don't think that it will have a big difference in performance?
Also the smaller cores will draw so much less power that you will be able to run the CPU at much lower clocks which means much less power, you won't need to overclock unless you get hard from doing so.
Constant 240W will give you 50% more multi which will translate in it being about 20% faster than the 5900x.
Sticking to the lower 125W will basically match the 5900x in performance.
(page 4 of 6)
AHAAZC2Ap36FXqXAGH8MEM-970-80.jpg.webp

guru7of9

Reputable
Jun 1, 2018
589$ is awesome, very interesting
If I do upgrade I'll go with DDR4 since I already have a good 4400 bdie kit
This pricing apparently is not official pricing from Intel. So Toms Hardware state!
I can't for the life of me see how they can add any of these cpus just yet when they are not officially available and no one has posted any legit unbiased performance reviews !
Wonder how much of a difference ryzen on win10 would make?
Benchmarks are done on win11 with crippled Ryzen.
Another thing, the benchmarks are run at only 3200mhz for Ryzen !
Also I notice they have now added all the power specs ie pl1 and pl2 for Alderlake in cpu heirarchy!
Why has this just started now and only for Alderlake ?
What about Rocket lake and Ryzen?
I am not convinced but i certainly am curious about it all ...

Status
Not open for further replies.