Intel Short Movie Shows Horrors of HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So I sat through the whole video..... I don't get it. In fact, if I stumbled across this vid, without the Tom's article to preface it, I would have had no clue as to what it was all about.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Pfft... I've had drives sustain far more damage than that and still be functional. And only being able to recover a couple of images and a video? Jeez, that dude's an amateur. Oh and I was confused by the 2nd-gen Core iX processor box next to an Apple laptop... Unless apple started selling DIY kits, he wouldn't have that...

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
If actually there are SSD's with the same storage space of HDD's 3Tb at the same price, then great. But if those SSD's are many more times expensive and many times lees storage space than one hard drive of 3 TB, then forget it I wont buy that, I wont waste my money in such thing.

johnsmithhatesVLC

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
The video was so boring going on and on about "precious memories" barely mentioning the difference between HDDs and SSDs.

A much better video would have been some funny, crazy tests like the Chrome CR48 videos showing how SSDs are more durable than HDDs and at storing data.

jpoos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
lol, backup on a easily damaged media in a crappy case with minimal shock protection, he deserves to lose it. shouldn't be loosely holding the only copy of his precious memories near his idiot son.... exactly the kind of morons i'm sure intel will make a fortune in ssd sales from.

chrisjust98

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]PudgyChicken[/nom] Jeez, that dude's an amateur. Oh and I was confused by the 2nd-gen Core iX processor box next to an Apple laptop... Unless apple started selling DIY kits, he wouldn't have that...[/citation]

That wasn't a Core iX box. That was the solid state drive that he mentioned at the beginning of the video. And you called him an amateur? lol

G

Moral of the story: if you upgrade to an SSD, you'll drop your old drive and lose everything.

Besides, SSDs can fail too. If you're truly worried about data safety, save yourself time and money and get a backup HDD. We're not to the point where SSDs are practical for everyone, especially for just data storage.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I trust SSD's only slightly more than HDD's when it comes to my data. If it's important... BACK IT UP. For my really important data at home I store it on a raid5 array as well as backing it up to external drives periodically.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Obviously Intel would be all about warning of "the dangers of HDDs." As it would happen, Intel doesn't make HDDs at all, and they have a vested interest in selling SSDs, given their status as one of the market leaders there.

Still, the stability of SSDs over HDDs is overblown... Especially given their maximum read-write lifecycles, which *WILL* be an issue for those who often say "use an HDD for data, and an SSD for the OS/swapfile." That "swapfile" use could very readily burn out your SSD in a reasonable timeframe.

Lastly, of course, comes the issue of price: $220US or so will get you a reliable, good 128GB SSD... Or you could go for pure capacity in a single device and buy a 2TB hard drive, with ~8 times the capacity, for slightly cheaper. Or alternatively, a comparable amount would buy, say, 4 1 TB hard drives, which you could then put into RAID and get what will be better reliability than a single SSD anyway... And if it's RAID 5, then you're looking at 3 TB, with good speed too.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
This is supposed to entice someone to buy an SSD?

This has got to be one of the most contrived pieces of, er, uh, marketing that I have ever seen. I gave this about two minutes of my time, and even that was enough to see that Intel wants us to think that the world will end if we do not buy SSDs.

Intel has just lost my business for the foreseeable future. :p

G

Online backup is cheap and about as disaster proof as you get. SSDs still do not protect from theft, fire, water, earthquakes, morons and idiots. I have both SSDs and HDs. I sleep well at night because for a mere 50 per year I can have all my data backed up per computer.

[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]I have hard drives in 6 ancient antique IBM XT's from 1983 (nearly 30 years old) that still work to this day.[/citation]
I second this I have some old drives back from the early 90's that still function perfectly. I have only had one drive ever fail on me and it was an old seagate drive which were known to have issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS