Intel Shows Light Peak Laptop Pushing 2 HD Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'm always amazed at what these companies are doing in R&D. I know everyone seems to bash Intel, but it's great that they have capital to invest in this research.

office_dude

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Video or GTFO.

(actually this news is quite depressing because I'm about to buy a laptop.)
powerofpi 05/06/2010 6:15 PM
No worries, it will probably be another 5 to 10 years before the consumers will be able to afford it.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
after it becomes mainstream, intel will release the cap on lanes on mobos to reach 64 lanes and maybe 128... thus killin the chance of USB3.0 gaining market...
i'll hold my next build until their so called light peak is out

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]7amood[/nom]after it becomes mainstream, intel will release the cap on lanes on mobos to reach 64 lanes and maybe 128... thus killin the chance of USB3.0 gaining market...i'll hold my next build until their so called light peak is out[/citation]

First 64 and 128 lanes is much higher then the 16 lanes on the core i3-i7's so that would make it better for USB 3 secondly USB is intel's brain child also and thirdly they're working on this tech with apple so it will appear on their machines before we have to worry about it.

I'm really looking forward to light peak it seems to be what usb should have been... Universal!

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]banthracis[/nom]Light Peak needs to provide power before it can replace USB...silly Intel[/citation]

I didn't even think of that. So all this is good for is self powered devices. You can't even use a thumb drive with it? I'm a bit less optimistic about this now.

banthracis

Distinguished
[citation][nom]segio526[/nom]I didn't even think of that. So all this is good for is self powered devices. You can't even use a thumb drive with it? I'm a bit less optimistic about this now.[/citation]

Yeppers. BTW, what's with the thumb downs over pointing out a major flaw of Light Peak?

G

While this is nice and all I'd much rather have USB 3.0 available _right now_ than a potentially useful, non-compatible technology X years down the line.

How about it Intel?

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]banthracis[/nom]Yeppers. BTW, what's with the thumb downs over pointing out a major flaw of Light Peak?[/citation]

Probably because everyone either doesn't understand the need for power or is assuming that they'll fix the power issue by the time it reaches market... I still voted you up though for the fact that atm you are completely correct about that flaw in it's design. Either that or people are again assuming(assuming being my word for the day) that USB won't be thrown out when light peak is instituted even though from the wiki article it looks like it might be designed so that it's compatible with existing usb techs...

worl

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I can see Monster selling a 5 feet Light Peak cables for 200$

Special gold plated optic fiber for a crystal clear signal ! :p

It's a pretty exciting technology though, it open the door to alot of previously scifi stuff.

I'm confused about the comments that mention the need for power.

I thought Light Peak was about using some sort of optic fiber cable to send and received data. The example given is multiple LCD monitors connected to a PC via a Light Peak cable. Both LCD monitors and video cards are powered. Internal hard drives and motherboards are also powered. What am I missing?

redrabbit803

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
My guess is that the current USB3.0 will be modified for the addition of the optic cable. Lightpeak will provide the same power as USB3.0. Lightpeak is NOT the same stand alone optical cable you see on your audio equipment.

Light-Peak.jpg

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]I'm confused about the comments that mention the need for power.[/citation]

Intel's goal is to replace every port on a computer with LP ports. Mice, keyboards, flash drives, 2.5" hdds, etc. all are powered by the computer, typically through the same USB connection that their data is going through. It seems a bit overkill for a mouse, but the abbility to daisy chain will probably make it work. The monitor plugs into the computer with a nonpowered LP cable. The keyboard then plugs into the monitor with a powered LP cable and the mouse plugs into the keyboard. Unless they're wireless, then there's no need.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
just in time..
hope they could make a good design and produce a standard immediately, so that we could have one standard cable to use which could last longer than USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.