Intel Shows Off Its 380GB 905P Optane M.2 SSD At Computex

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
There's still a lot of optane neysayers(I'm not one of them), and I suspect price, more than performance, is the reason. Any ideas when prices will drop a smidge?

NinjaNerd56

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
I just bought an HP game tower with a 32GB Optane board in front of a 2TB HDD.

Wow. Just stupidly fast.

My work laptop is a monster ThinkPad with a SATA SSD and the tower just smokes it in even simple tasks like opening Outlook.

I knew it would be good, but it’s actually better than I expected.

And for games? Everything loads and runs faster.

Now I want my main storage to be Optane 9XX. They get to 1TB and larger while improving price, and it’s a no-brainer.

Seriously impressed.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
I'm glad you two like it and are vocal about it. I took a lot of flack for saying how great Optane technology was all the way back on the Optane Memory (cache) launch. Several reviewers on launch day even tore into me about it. The technology is really good. For the money, the cache drives are excellent. The full size drives just take it to another level.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Just a matter of fit for purpose. I thought the cache drives were a little silly since you needed such a new platform to get them. Made sense for OEMs that didn't want to trade capacity for speed, but not much for the enthusiasts with even slightly dated motherboards.

I could be convinced to move my boot drive to Optane and keep the NVMe drive for bulk game installs or something. All depends on the price/capacity. If it stays where it is, probably makes more sense to get a 2TB M.2 SSD instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.