Intel Silvermont Architecture: Does This Atom Change It All?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Nice article as always C.A. I would really like to see this chip on a smartphone. If the performance and power utilisation is as good as it looks then Qualcomm will really feel the heat. Intel has the money and R&D to pull off a big move and compete. Time will tell.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I wonder if there are any plans to release Windows Phone 8 smartphones with these SoCs over the next 12-24 months? That would really solidify the eco-system for both Intel and Microsoft in one fell swoop.

hannibal

Distinguished
Much needed upgrades in here. Hopefully they allso deliver what they promise in these slides. Any devices out in this year or do we have to wait untill 2014 we see something based on these. But very promising indeed! A windows pro tablet based on these at desent price would be first candidate to start good move to Windows based tablets. Then there would be three good alternatives in tablets.

bulldozer!
.. is the first thing came to my mind when i started reading about the cores. but it's not exactly like bd, it's different. still.. it made me chuckle. amd deserves the credit.

i wonder if future intel cpus ($330+ core i7) will have the same core system instead of htt.... :whistle: :ange: :lol:

edit2: rodney dangerfield FTW! \o/

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]de5_Roy[/nom]bulldozer!.. is the first thing came to my mind when i started reading about the cores. but it's not exactly like bd, it's different. still.. it made me chuckle. amd deserves the credit.[/citation]

Well, it's just the cache that's shared in this one, no actual execution resources.

Finally intel is getting serious. Ditching hyperthreading is the best thing they could have possibly done. Now with OoO and real cores these atoms are looks pretty powerful. They will probably beat Kabini no problem with higher clocks with slightly less IPC. The 22nm trigate will drop power consumption especially without the shitty hyperthreading in the way.

i noticed the lack of information on the integrated graphics part. having a powerful cpu isn't enough for atom. the gpu part has always been the weakest point for intel. kabini otoh, will have gcn-based, hsa enabled, low power igpu.

4745454b

Titan
So they still have an off die memory controller. I would have thought they would have moved that on die by now.

Any more info on this "system agent" and IDI? I'm also surprised the cores can't talk directly to each other. If you want to use many small cores to tackle a problem together that's fine. But give them the ability to do it quickly.

It seems Intel is getting the ball rolling on their smaller chips. I just hope that when they finally do they ditch the Atom name. Bad chips, get a new name for those that aren't.

[citation][nom]de5_Roy[/nom]i noticed the lack of information on the integrated graphics part. having a powerful cpu isn't enough for atom. the gpu part has always been the weakest point for intel. kabini otoh, will have gcn-based, hsa enabled, low power igpu.[/citation]
Too true. Not a single mention of it probably means it won't be anything to brag about. Intel isn't really the type of company that likes to hide breakthroughs anywhere. Im expecting them to finally be able to do 1080p tablets and thats about it.

jerryblack

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
No, it won't, regardless of what Intel's press release says. If I've learned anything in the past few years, is never take what Intel says in the PR at face value, because it never turns out true.

Silvermont may arrive a few months before the 20nm process for ARM chips is ready, but will that be enough, considering Intel's chips cost 2-3x more than the ARM equivalent? Probably not.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Contrary to what most enthusiasts believe, the current Atom processors on the market are more than enough horsepower when paired with an HDD and a gig or two of ram for grandma to check her email and figure out how to facebook.

They're not a bad processor, you just need to properly impliment them. Of course they won't work if you demand split-second responsiveness or are looking to play games, but for somebody looking to set up a basic windows or linux box they're more than acceptable.

4745454b

Titan
That's a bit like saying AMDs CPUs are good enough. Yes, both are mostly true. But both also ignore other possible solutions that are options. Why buy an Atom that performs similar to other chips, but because of the higher power usage will drain a battery and only last 75% as long as other SoCs? If Atom really was "good enough", then Intel could just put it out and not worry about it anymore. But they didn't, because I'm sure even Intel knows that at this point they aren't there yet.

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
I've never seem a problem with AMD processors when it comes to reliability, Yes maybe they can't quite compete with Intel in performance but I have noticed even at that AMD is beginning to close the gap some. If anybody has seen an AMD road map of their upcoming advancements then they know AMD is about to pull a big rabbit out of the hat. Not to mention they give Intel a run for the money with price to performance, And "NO" I am not an AMD fanboy. I use Intel In all three of my home PC's, But I am pulling for AMD. We need AMD to keep Intel In check and I have been Impressed lately by the Piledriver's Improvement's over Bulldozer and AMD's future potential.

g-unit1111

Titan
With a low power chip on 14nm the Atom could have tons of applications for things that aren't just PCs or consoles. I'd like to see this chip put to use on things like auto navigation systems, smart phones, tablets, things of that nature. Intel could own the market with the right applications.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Silvermont is releasing a half-year later than Jaguar, and it will still be poorer GPU-wise and likely only marginally better CPU-wise. Meanwhile, both AMD and ARM licensees will already be on their next platform.

Assuming we see Jaguar-based SoCs in some decent tablets after June, I'm definitely going to be picking one of those up.

Knock off the personal attacks now, or bans will be issued. - G

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
This makes me wonder if companies that make in-house SoCs (I guess Apple in specific, since Samsung also sells them to others while Apple just does it for themselves) will ever switch mobile devices to Intel if they just can't match the performance per watt of this and future Atom cores.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
if I only wish this shared power thing between CPU and GPU is available on Haswell. Haswell have high performance GPU, but I dont need GPU. Would be nice if Haswell automatic turbo CPU when GPU is OFF.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]4745454b[/nom]So they still have an off die memory controller. I would have thought they would have moved that on die by now. Any more info on this "system agent" and IDI? I'm also surprised the cores can't talk directly to each other. If you want to use many small cores to tackle a problem together that's fine. But give them the ability to do it quickly. It seems Intel is getting the ball rolling on their smaller chips. I just hope that when they finally do they ditch the Atom name. Bad chips, get a new name for those that aren't.[/citation]

Don't be ignorant.

"Incidentally, Intel identifies its IDI as one of the keys to the modularity of the Nehalem/Westmere generation, and it’d seem that a lot of work from the “big” core space is affecting Atom here today."

You could consider previous Atoms as off-die, but it won't be in Silvermont.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]kyuuketsuki[/nom]People, stop feeding the troll (maddoctor).Silvermont is releasing a half-year later than Jaguar, and it will still be poorer GPU-wise and likely only marginally better CPU-wise. Meanwhile, both AMD and ARM licensees will already be on their next platform.Assuming we see Jaguar-based SoCs in some decent tablets after June, I'm definitely going to be picking one of those up.[/citation]

Really?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Fujitsu-Stylistic-Q572-Tablet.91078.0.html

Atom outperforms the Hondo chip by 30%
Battery life of Atom is 2x at same battery capacity
Needs active cooling

AMD is expecting 15% IPC gain with Temash(Jaguar's Tablet version) but still clocked at 1GHz. I'd expect even Clover Trail to have an advantage over Temash.

4745454b

Titan
"Incidentally, Intel identifies its IDI as one of the keys to the modularity of the Nehalem/Westmere generation, and it’d seem that a lot of work from the “big” core space is affecting Atom here today."

You could consider previous Atoms as off-die, but it won't be in Silvermont.

Care to expand on that? I guess I'm too ignorant to see the point you were trying to make.

Yes, you are right that is why I like you because you are always using Intel's product

I'm insulted. I actually love AMD. Used them for many years. Their CPUs do make sense in some situations and your posts are not appreciated.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]Contrary to what most enthusiasts believe, the current Atom processors on the market are more than enough horsepower when paired with an HDD and a gig or two of ram for grandma to check her email and figure out how to facebook. They're not a bad processor, you just need to properly impliment them. Of course they won't work if you demand split-second responsiveness or are looking to play games, but for somebody looking to set up a basic windows or linux box they're more than acceptable.[/citation]

Not really. Youtube videos at 480p do not play smoothly. Multitasking is horrid. Scrolling through complex web pages is not smooth, which would irritate any user. Hopefully with 22nm/14nm Atom it'll be better.

[citation][nom]DavidC1[/nom]Really?http://www.notebookcheck.net/Revie [...] 078.0.htmlAtom outperforms the Hondo chip by 30%Battery life of Atom is 2x at same battery capacityNeeds active coolingAMD is expecting 15% IPC gain with Temash(Jaguar's Tablet version) but still clocked at 1GHz. I'd expect even Clover Trail to have an advantage over Temash.[/citation]
The z60 beat all the atoms in every single useful cpu benchmark in the link you gave. PCmark is endorsed by intel, the numbers don't mean jack shit compared to actual use. Also AMD quotes a 50-100% increase in performance from hondo to temash due to adding 2 more core. Please stop sprouting bull.

Status
Not open for further replies.