News Intel Skylake iGPUs Reach End of Life Status

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
AFAIK, Intel has already practically abandoned anything older than Xe. Dropping Skylake from legacy IGP driver support is little more than a formality.
Some Intel CPU models have a 10-year availability window. I don't know that their support window extends for that entire time, but I'd point out that Intel is still accepting orders for several Skylake models.

For instance, the plain old i7-6700 (65 W) isn't listed as discontinued.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Some Intel CPU models have a 10-year availability window. I don't know that their support window extends for that entire time, but I'd point out that Intel is still accepting orders for several Skylake models.

For instance, the plain old i7-6700 (65 W) isn't listed as discontinued.

I imagine it's for replacement parts for OEMs so they can fulfill their service contracts. And for whatever other mission critical environment they might be using it in.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I imagine it's for replacement parts for OEMs so they can fulfill their service contracts. And for whatever other mission critical environment they might be using it in.
They're all chips on the IoT Group's supported list, I believe. They're meant to be embedded in machinery of the sort which doesn't have a refresh cycle as short as normal PC desktops.

InvalidError

Titan
You can continue supplying parts for clients on long-term supply agreements but cease driver development beyond security-critical patches.