Intel Skylake-X, Kaby Lake-X Leaks Vs AMD ThreadRipper 'TBD': Fun Summer Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Did you read the article? (or is this a case of not enough mention of ThreadRipper?)

However, AMD looms large with its penchant for disruptive pricing. We know very few official details about ThreadRipper aside from the 16C/32T count, but it's a fair bet that it will be substantially cheaper than Intel's flagships.

I read it and there was a huge unofficial chart of Intel CPU's. If you look at my post I have the links where there is a similar unofficial chart of Thredripper CPU's that has been floating around as well. This just felt about 2/3'rds Intel when AMD actually has more coming out to speculate on that is all. Just so nobody takes this wrong my PC is Intel and Nvidia currently so I got zero AMD fanboism.

D3M1G0D

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
As an enthusiast who does grid computing, I'm really looking forward to Threadripper. If Ryzen 7 pricing is any indication, the Ryzen Threadripper should be much cheaper than the Core i9 for the same number of cores (I can't imagine that Intel would lower prices for their brand new, enthusiast, HEDT platform). It'll still be costly, but I don't think I'll need another upgrade for a very long time.

G

That is why competition is good folks! 20 threads with up to 4.5 Ghz boost?!? Amazing. Sure, it will probably be $2k, but still.

Im just waiting for intel to say that "core i9" doesn't exsist and its naming scheme is core i7 still.

Happen with the Core i7 980x (that was rumored to be a core i9 cpu back then)... Could happen again...

keitarofujiwara

Commendable
Mar 3, 2017

Sure, but let's not make it sound like that's the only option. I'm sure they can come up with names other than Bonecrusher, or ReaperMurderKill because that's as confusing as 8066479 and 8066480.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Cross a little of the single thread performance of Ryzen with the spec rumors of Threadripper and add a dash of AMD's past pricing strategy and this is going to be an interesting summer. Intel's IPC will still be better, but in my opinion Ryzen's biggest weakness didn't come from the IPC. It was that it had pretty limited PCIe lane configuration. Threadripper looks to put that issue to bed. If AMD throws enough cores at this thing at slightly less IPC and can start showing some in game benchmark victories (particularly in games against the mainstream I7 lineup) Intel has a marketing problem. Relabel it as I9, but anyone who built anything knew the enthusiast socket I7s were expensive, slower IPC and wide PCIe lanes. I am happy to see the enthusiast class Intel products get a much needed chipset refresh as it was getting way too long in the tooth. Intel in the past has charged alot for its high core count chips. I hope that this brewing cpu war will force the overall software industry to include parallelism techniques that utilize this increasing core count and not make this so much about single core IPC and 4 processor cores with 8 threads.

How about Ryptonite for Intel's Kryptonite?
How about Rydon or for playing on an element name like Xeon?

Anyhow the name Threadripper is freaking childish. Hopefully AMD makes enough money this year to hire a real marketing department to come up with names like core, xeon, etc to brand off of long term. Maybe they should crowd source a naming project?

Eastaman

Prominent
May 24, 2017
I think in the long run, Intel will have to come up with a brand new architecture. They would need something highly scalable, power efficient with increased IPC. They can't rely on high clock speed anymore for performance, except for single threaded work. Anyway, I'm sure AMD's pricing will be very competitive and I'm looking forward to build my first AMD system ever this summer.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
The 7740K and 7640K don't make a ton of sense to me. What's the advantage over the 1151 processors? Or is Intel simply trying to lower the bar of entry to get upgrade-minded folks to buy into X299? There must be a pricing shake-up ahead, as over the past couple of generations the low-end HEDT parts haven't been that much more expensive than the top mainstream.

G

Honestly it won't matter if you get Intel 12 core or AMD 16 cores because in term of performance and needs both CPU will be monsters. This is about getting better for less money. A true winner won't be number of cores for AMD and Intel but who can offer a better deal. I dearly hope Intel has insanely aggressive pricing this time.

Agree. Whoever doesn't price competitively can go suck it. Whatever the best price/perf is what will sell the HEDT line and what I will back up with my pocket book. Its a very rare case to need the best multi-threaded workstation for the HEDT line as most will step up to server class CPU's. I really don't care what the halo product costs in each line but all others need to compete.

PLEASE rename it to the Core i9 like you should have from the beginning. You have no idea how many times I have seen or told people that their CPU doesn't work with the motherboard they got and all I hear is "but its an i7?"

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
One thing that really makes me raise an eyebrow over these specs is the lack of hyperthreading on the 7640k. In the past, Intel has always used the i7 label to indicate hyperthreading, so this would be a big departure from their usual branding.

Lets be honest the whole 4-core with and without Hyperthreading in the HEDT lineup for Intel is goofy especially since there is almost no way anyone can saturate the quad channel memory with a quad core CPU anyhow as its like a .001 niche. I get it they will likely solder the lid(should have anyways on the 7700k/7600k) and the socket will have higher power delivery so expect better temps and faster clocks than the 7700k/7600k. I think AMD is really on point with there 10 to 16 core lineup for the HEDT side of things, hopefully performance is there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.