Intel Slashes Processor Prices Up to 48%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
It'll be good for the next group of people I build/upgrade computers for, but sux for the person I just bought an E7300 for late last week.

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
Nice! An OC'ed Q9650 looking mighty good and will push my current platform's life a whole lot longer ( I REALLY don't feel like getting rid of my 8GB of RAM just yet!)

G

do i get it right that these prices apply only when buying 1000 at once? if it is so, then it kinda sucks, cause no company in here (estonia) will buy cpus in a branch even near 1000, so i can dream on.

Am I wrong here, or does everyone think Intel controls the market, and theres no competition? AMD cut thier prices before Intel did. Intel announced a bit before, but it was purely a papercut heheh. Since AMD has already dropped their prices, I think itll be interesting to see Intels response

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
[citation][nom]nali[/nom]do i get it right that these prices apply only when buying 1000 at once? if it is so, then it kinda sucks, cause no company in here (estonia) will buy cpus in a branch even near 1000, so i can dream on.[/citation]

Check out newegg, the prices are already reflected with a small markup (well, I only checked the Q9650) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115130

Other places will probably keep the high price trying to get rid of inventory they had to buy at higher price until they either restock or take a loss so they can sell.

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
Oups, sorry, didn't read your post correctly nali (about you being in estonia). Indeed those are for bulk purchases by retail giants, it will still mean a lower price accross the board even if they are bought in smaller quantities, just not nearly as much.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Dechy[/nom]Nice! An OC'ed Q9650 looking mighty good and will push my current platform's life a whole lot longer ( I REALLY don't feel like getting rid of my 8GB of RAM just yet!)[/citation]
I am in the same boat. I plan to replace my E6400 with Q9550/9650 and game on for another two or three year.

Newegg lowered Phenom II prices by $40 this morning. It is still overpriced as Q6600 is still cheaper and faster.

Roland00

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Actually Amd price cut yesterday was in response to this preplanned intel cut.

Intel always cuts prices in January as part of their tick/tock strategy. It helps gets rid of the old processors. The prices were announced a week ago

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=703d8fba7a2c39e914d12cab95fe6c04&t=214354

And were supposed to take in effect for vendors on the 1/18 (though vendors may not pass the prices on too customers until they clear old inventory.)

----

Well AMD drop their prices of their new quads in response to stay competitive. This is great for the consumer but I worry for AMD profitability in this economy. I have a q6600 and want to get an i7 when they go to 32nm, but its good to have competition and my first computer was an AMD barcelona.

azxcvbnm321

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Intel dictates prices because they have the top line processors and get to control how much AMD makes. They can cut to the bone on their lower end processors and still keep on making money with their high end stuff. AMD has no way of making money. The end is near.

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
[citation][nom]Roland00[/nom]Actually Amd price cut yesterday was in response to this preplanned intel cut.Intel always cuts prices in January as part of their tick/tock strategy. It helps gets rid of the old processors. The prices were announced a week agohttp://www.xtremesystems.org/forum [...] 4&t=214354And were supposed to take in effect for vendors on the 1/18 (though vendors may not pass the prices on too customers until they clear old inventory.)----Well AMD drop their prices of their new quads in response to stay competitive. This is great for the consumer but I worry for AMD profitability in this economy. I have a q6600 and want to get an i7 when they go to 32nm, but its good to have competition and my first computer was an AMD barcelona.[/citation]

Well, given the state of this economy and the tendency for the average consumer to go for the cheaper good rather than the more expensive one, I think AMD will be fine this year as opposed to Intel whose products are more expensive.

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
[citation][nom]azxcvbnm321[/nom]Intel dictates prices because they have the top line processors and get to control how much AMD makes. They can cut to the bone on their lower end processors and still keep on making money with their high end stuff. AMD has no way of making money. The end is near.[/citation]

I have to say I disagree and would argue the opposite. If Intel was truly in control of the market, then they would not need to reduce the price of their processors in order to stay competitive. Regarding the review TH gave for the AMD Phenom 2 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-940,2114.html I'd have to say AMD is giving Intel a run for their money.

As for AMD has "no way of making money," you wouldn't know for sure until you look how much it costs the company to manufacture each processor. Their cost structure could be a lot cheaper than Intel's for all we know.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I personally ALWAYS go with AMD. They always have a similar offering compared to Intel for gaming. I can upgrade to the new Phenom without changing mobo's. Intel I have to shell out an extra 400-500 dollars for essentially the same performance. I do the occasional video decoding at night but they are usually close to a gig in size and I just set to shut my computer off when it's done anyway. AMD FTW!!!

Roland00

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Roland00[/nom] but its good to have competition and my first computer was an AMD barcelona.[/citation]
I meant to say barton, not barcelona, as in the AMD athlon xp 2800+ barton core; not the amd server chip that was similar to phenom.

MosportMike

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
AMD is much more than a cpu company. Dont forget enthusiasts like us only make up 5% of the total market so what we think really doesnt matter. And yes, AMDs Phenom II is A LOT cheaper to produce. Intels profits dropped 90% in Q4 of last year and they are afraid us AMD enthusiasts will upgrade what we currently have instead of building a whole new system based upon Intel. Their price cuts are a direct result of AMDs Phenom II. That in itself tells you AMD is once again on the right path.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
even though our economy sux horribly, at least the tech market is going cheap xDD.
or it could just be pure competition. oh well, dont care, as long as i can go buy my new phenomII processor :D

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i think its both the economy and reducing inventory the reasons for price cuts. in my opinion, a price war is not the motive.
if intel did that then it will be another evidence that intel is doing unfair competition against amd.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
^ The Q6600 is low end Intel Quad compared to AMDs top end. Lets see Phenom II compared to Q9550/9560, Intel's Mid range. For fun... let’s compare POS Phenom II to i7.

Status
Not open for further replies.