Intel Slips Out New 3.2GHz Core i7-970 Gulftown

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I wish AMD didn't keep their supporters 1-3 years behind their freaking server line!!!... it's like they develop a new architecture, use it for servers.. then bin the rest to us to get rid of stock..

Ugh... Damn Intel pricing. Seriously, I wonder how the sales will be. You could probably buy two Core i7 930 systems with the cost of one i7 970 system and the only people willing to pay that much for a processor are mostly enthusiasts, who would go for an i7 980X anyway.

Way to go.

-_-

festerovic

Distinguished
I always see this price tag when window shopping on newegg, and chuckle. As stated ^, who the hell would buy this when the 930 OCs past it for 1/3 teh price? My guess: government employees intent on wasting my taxes!

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
What were Intel's prices like in the Athlon days when AMD had the performance crown for once? I have my doubts that an Intel-killing AMD proc would bring Intel's prices down. I think AMD would just charge the same insane prices as Intel in that case. The top spot in the CPU performance arena is coveted. It's the top performing CPU that gets all the lofty contracts from businesses who don't care about price tag. That $1000 price isn't meant for the average joe.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]I always see this price tag when window shopping on newegg, and chuckle. As stated ^, who the hell would buy this when the 930 OCs past it for 1/3 teh price? My guess: government employees intent on wasting my taxes![/citation]
People who then OC that chip as well?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]As soon as AMD take performance crown it will change, hopefully with Buldozzer.[/citation]

There's no way Bulldozer will be able to match anything Intel has to offer at least in terms of performance.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Oh and if AMD had the top spot no one would be oogling over the Intel flagship anyway. They'd just be complaining that they can't afford AMD's top offering just the same. True Intel's prices might go down but people will always want the better CPU, and the best CPU will always be in the $1000+ range because businesses can afford it.

aft_lizard01

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
[citation][nom]magicandy[/nom]What were Intel's prices like in the Athlon days when AMD had the performance crown for once? I have my doubts that an Intel-killing AMD proc would bring Intel's prices down. I think AMD would just charge the same insane prices as Intel in that case. The top spot in the CPU performance arena is coveted. It's the top performing CPU that gets all the lofty contracts from businesses who don't care about price tag. That $1000 price isn't meant for the average joe.[/citation]
AMD used to sell their FX chips at the level Intel sells there Extreme Edition chips, so you are correct. People buy them though or they wouldn't sell them.

Perhaps if AMD takes back the performance crown they will try a new tactic and continue the low end segment on prices until they become on par with Intel. I doubt they will but it's a nice dream to have.

aft_lizard01

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]There's no way Bulldozer will be able to match anything Intel has to offer at least in terms of performance.[/citation]
What utter crap.

Not saying that AMD will do it mind you. However history has shown us that Intel is not immune to being over taken by AMD in performance.

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
I doubt that the next generation of AMD chips will be able to compete for the CPU crown. It is likely that AMD will start to achieve closer to Intel but it will take a generation or two to beat them. Reason for this is that if AMD beats Intel right of the bat with their new chip, Intel will just release their next product. AMD needs to speed up their development time to have much of a chance.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]There's no way Bulldozer will be able to match anything Intel has to offer at least in terms of performance.[/citation]
Let's wait and see shall we?
That's like sayig "There's no way Athlon 64's will be able to match anything in the Pentium 4 line"
And we all know how that fight finished don't we?

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]I always see this price tag when window shopping on newegg, and chuckle. As stated ^, who the hell would buy this when the 930 OCs past it for 1/3 teh price? My guess: government employees intent on wasting my taxes![/citation]

Not that I think it's a good deal but you DO realize Gulftown is SIX cores, right? Your 930 can't magically grow a pair, so to speak...

Status
Not open for further replies.