Intel Smartstep ruining an otherwise perfectly good laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExiledLife

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
I bought a refurbished Sony Vio Flip 14A and have been having issues if I try to play games or even watch Netflix. If the CPU gets to a certain temp, around 75-80c the cpu throttles itself down horrible from 1.3ghz to 0.6ghz. This causes games that ran fine to run horribly, and it prevents me from watching Netflix. There is no option to disable Smartstep.

One concern I have is that the CPU could be running hotter than it is supposed to. It runs idles around 53c and only once got to 80c before it got throttled down to hover at 63c.

ExiledLife

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
What can I do to solve this problem? It is still under warranty but I need it for school, it does not have any issues doing school work. Should I just wait till the semester is over and send it in to get fixed?

JWK3986

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Just for anyone else's reference, since I hope someone helped you by now, your issue is probably caused by dust in the cpu cooling fan or a bad thermal paste job on the cpu causing heat buildup. Have it repasted and clean out all the dust it should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.