Intel Sold Over 100 Million CPUs In Q3 2014, Record Revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Yes, but how many of them are wrapped in $20 bills from Intel?

Buying market share by paying people to use your processors is strange thing to boast about.

Even so, they had a fine quarter, it's just the boasting about the amount of processors they sold irks me a little, since they had to pay people on many of those 'sales'.

zxt827

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
This was because the lack of competitors. We all know how AMD is doing, as well as other procesor companies. No one come close to compete with Intel. This is not a very good thing for us, the consumers. We like intel's product, but when it comes to the prices, we can't say they are very user friendly. A 64% gross margin, we are being ripped off guys!

bustak2121

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Yea, they may be making a ton of money. Without extra Revenue, how would they put money into future technology? We are all 'investing' in the future of advancing processors by purchasing their current products.

intel prices are not user friendly? for about $350 you can get a 4960k+mobo+cpu cooler and have blazing fast speeds. since sandy bridge, intel offers absolutely amazing cpu horsepower for, in my opinion, a very user friendly price.

Just passing

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
Exact citation:
"Record quarterly unit shipments of PCs, servers, tablets, phones and Internet of Things, the first time Intel has shipped more than 100 million microprocessors in a quarter"
You might want to correct that article, as Intel has shipped more than 100 million microprocessors. Not sold! There is a huge difference.

Ok intel has now completly monopolized this buisness. Its time for amd to step up its game( they are in the gpu with HBM and 2015 release but only for a limited time) they now need to achieve much more in the cpu department, a department they have been lacking in for to long now. Intel is controlling all the revenue in mobile, desktop, laptops, and servers(name the top servers that are running amd chips, having a hard time thinking of some, that because amd chips are to inefficient and would cost the company millions in electricity builds while producing less performance). They need a huge overall, i mean wow you have great apu's, they probably would be good for a budget system/ super cheap gaming laptop, but in the real desktop, mobile and laptop department am i looking for graphics or for power and long battery life, the latter should be your choice. We need a new design from amd to inspire competition, i mean 10nm chips, 50w for thier high end models, native 6-8 cores cheap models 4 cores while packing i7 power, 100$ price for 4-6 cores and 8 cores price of a i5. That plan thier will shift the desktop market/ gaming laptop market, now a 4 core 5w model packing i5 power would destroy intel in mobile and laptop completly assuring amd complete control(unless your a intel fanboy). But even this could help shift revenue, 14/16nm chips(max 18-20nm chips), 4-6 cores similar/stronger than i5/i7, 100$ price tag, 170$ for high end, 10w dual core with power of i5(would have to be highly efficent.) Amd pull it together.

motocros1

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
i love how people bash on amd for not being able to compete with a company that has ten times the employees and 120 times the budget. just being able to compete in the budget realm is an accomplishment in and of itself. i buy amd just because i know what intel would do without competition, like they did with the core 2 quads and pentiums, but worse.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Quote: "Net profits totaled $3.3 billion, a 12 percent increase. Part of the rise in profits is thanks to repurchasing stock, as the company used $4.2 billion to repurchase 122 million shares."

Repurchasing stock decreases the profit, it does not increase it. The money to buy-back the stock has to come from somewhere after all. What stock repurchase achieves is it increases the value of the stock since there are fewer outstanding shares.

f688xt6

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Or, we could see this as a vindication of the G3258 release and its contribution to Intel's sales figures as well. I bought a few of them, and they work great, so some encouragement in that product line should help them see that its worthwhile to release unlocked CPU's in other areas as well.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001

This is a very short sighted comment. How do you know if $350 won't get you more if there is a healthy competition against Intel.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001

It is not that hard to understand.
1) more and more people using Apple computer which use Intel CPU
2) there are still tons of new computers use in business sectors pre-loaded with Windows 7.

lookanlearn

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Apple are a pretty small percentage of the overall PC market are they not?
Anyway My bad for not knowing about big business replacing computers and getting new editions of Windows 7 through 2014. I have not seen a Windows 7 PC available for over a year (except used ones on Yahoo auctions).

in a way i understand because since sandy bridge, there is really no meaningful performance increase in intels i5/i7s, yet the price stays the same. otherwise, i still dont see having access to a 4960k at a $120 price point really having a huge impact on customers. sure if we get the cpus for free thats nice, but you still have to pay for case mobo ram hard drive psu and os, then a gpu if one chooses. the overall computer price will not be drastically affected by saving a ton of money on just the cpu.

also if amd had stayed out of the dead console market, im sure they would be more competitive in the cpu market.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I would like to see a better breakdown of the CPU's they sold. Like how many desktop by Pentium/Celeron/i3/i5/i7, Mobile, Phones, ARM, Server, EE, Xeon, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.