News Intel Spills Arc Alchemist Desktop GPU SKUs In Beta Driver

If the A770 can touch the heels of the 3070 and 6750XT, then I think it'll be a win for Intel and they'll be able to move those (assuming pricing is somewhat correct). They may have missed the Crypto-train, but at least they can make an argument under the $400 mark, for sure. There's a lot of people that will be happy to get GPUs under and around that price point.

Still... With AMD and nVidia's next gens close by, Intel better act soon. From the announcement/reveal to shelves, there should be less than a month IMO. At worst a month, since AMD and nVidia will say something at Computex as well.

Regards.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
If the A770 can touch the heels of the 3070 and 6750XT, then I think it'll be a win for Intel and they'll be able to move those (assuming pricing is somewhat correct). They may have missed the Crypto-train, but at least they can make an argument under the $400 mark, for sure. There's a lot of people that will be happy to get GPUs under and around that price point.

Still... With AMD and nVidia's next gens close by, Intel better act soon. From the announcement/reveal to shelves, there should be less than a month IMO. At worst a month, since AMD and nVidia will say something at Computex as well.

Regards.

They wont have a problem selling them. Its more of getting supplies to manufacturers.

Intel has a massive massive advantage here and its not about performance. Intel could bundle their cpu and gpu together when selling to manufacturers....

They wont have a problem selling them. Its more of getting supplies to manufacturers.

Intel has a massive massive advantage here and its not about performance. Intel could bundle their cpu and gpu together when selling to manufacturers....
I don't think that is so true, otherwise we would have already seen laptops outside of Korea with the Arc GPUs on shelves since a long time ago. The writing is on the wall for that one. As for the rest of the line up, the only channel Intel will be able to appeal to is DYI, I'd say. OEMs and AIBs are already tied down by nVidia and AMD (to a degree), so unless Intel wants to double down on their "discounts" shenanigans, I don't think they'll have a compelling argument for them to not use nVidia or AMD over Intel GPUs. And I do not believe they'll want to increase their production by a third just to please Intel here.

But let's see how it pans out.

Regards.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007

Regards.

Well, Intel is losing a lot of potential customers with these delays. I was pretty much set on waiting for Arc, 90% of the reason being to get ahold of something unique and new (if only for a few months), secondarily because I wasn't willing to pay an outrageously high price for just another X060 Nvidia part - which is typically where I land. I prefer not to spend much over $300 on a GPU, and I've had a GPU since Voodoo 1.

But I was planning on maybe having to wait, reasonably, April or May.
Well, now it seems 6 more weeks, maybe 8 - if lucky. More likely won't be able to get one for 3 months after release, which would put it into September? So with that, odds are very high that I'll have a 6750XT in a couple of weeks. Just tired of waiting, and that card has the right performance at the right price right now.

That's a missed sale, Intel.

InvalidError

Titan
Well, Intel is losing a lot of potential customers with these delays.
I doubt any lost sales Intel may suffer from delays will be anywhere as bad as the GPU losses Intel would get on a more permanent basis by launching a quarter-baked product and burning its early adopters, hence the timid launches in overpirced laptops that seem to scream "don't buy me."

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I doubt any lost sales Intel may suffer from delays will be anywhere as bad as the GPU losses Intel would get on a more permanent basis by launching a quarter-baked product and burning its early adopters, hence the timid launches in overpriced laptops that seem to scream "don't buy me."

That's true, and if the drivers are bad then yes it's a valid decisions, But planning these projects to not to have half-baked drivers at launch is part of the process and should be in their timeline. I'm generally pro-Intel for their quality and consistency, but this is a miss piled onto a miss no matter how you cut it. We were supposed to see desktop GPUs by April originally, I think we are now talking about September which puts it in the launch window for next gen Nvidia and AMD GPUs.

Reactions: jp7189

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
I agree, regardless of the reason for the delay, it ends up being a big loss for intel. You don't get to make money bringing out a new product to compete with a gen of GPU that is in the past.
They can still sell a bunch of them, but not at MSRP, street price will have to be very low.

InvalidError

Titan
That's true, and if the drivers are bad then yes it's a valid decisions, But planning these projects to not to have half-baked drivers at launch is part of the process and should be in their timeline.
Are you saying you are able to predict with 100% accuracy when you will be done writing drivers for something? Elon has been saying that Tesla's FSD was 2-3 years away for the last six years and still looks at least another 2-3 years away today. Some projects turn out farm more challenging than expected.

Even the most carefully laid-out plans routinely fail to survive contact with reality.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Are you saying you are able to predict with 100% accuracy when you will be done writing drivers for something? Elon has been saying that Tesla's FSD was 2-3 years away for the last six years and still looks at least another 2-3 years away today. Some projects turn out farm more challenging than expected.

Even the most carefully laid-out plans routinely fail to survive contact with reality.

Yes they do (plans fail) and this one is on its way to doing just that. Everything is about execution and timeliness and that goes well beyond just cpus and gpus. Intel went from an opportunity to sell a new GPU into a market starved due to crypto, to what looks like a potential recession and a crypto crash, as a result of that delay. Not a good look.

Reactions: jp7189