Question Intel SSD 600P M.2 NVMe fail

Apr 14, 2019
Suddenly my Intel SSD 600P M.2 NVMe stopped working. When powering on my T460s laptop it stops booting and seems to wait for the M.2 stick or something. Removing the M.2 stick and I can boot into the BIOS menue normally. I was running Linux with no special workload and rebooted yesterday when it suddenly happened. The controller chip on the stick (it is labled SMI) gets quite hot when touching, maybe it got stuck in a loop? I cannot boot into anything because the M.2 stick blocks the system.
  • I wonder weather these Intel 600P SSD NVMe sticks can fail just like that?
  • Is there maybe some possibity to reset the controller?
  • Is there some possibility to recover data from the stick?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
  1. If an SSD fails, it doesn't start showing signs like an HDD would - it'll just "fail" and be done.
  2. Not really, depends what the problem is. If the drive has failed, there is no 'resetting' it.
  3. Maybe, but not a guarantee. If it's critical data, I would suggest speaking to a dedicated data recovery company. You will likely do more harm than good trying to recover data yourself.

I assume you don't have a backup of your data? Take this as a learning, as implement routine (preferrably automated) backup procedures to avoid the potential loss of data.

Apr 14, 2019
Do you have some reference for this? I cannot understand this. Wouldnt it be logical to return an error on the blocks that fail so that you still have the chance to recover some data? If it is maybe "only" the controller chip that fails I'm thinking weather to try to swap the Silicon Motion controller chip using a heatgun with a replacement chip from a similar stick.