Intel SSD DC S3700 Review: Benchmarking Consistency

Status
Not open for further replies.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Consistency and reliability are always more important to me than speed and capacity,
but it's wonderful when you can have all four.

Kudos to Intel for raising the bar yet again on SSD quality. Eagerly awaiting trickle-down effect.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]adgjlsfhk[/nom]how does ssd power consumption compare to an hhd's in watts per gigabyte?[/citation]
For conventional 3.5" HDDs, you have 5-8W idle, 10-15W seek and 15-25W spin-up.
For 2.5" HDDs, you have ~1W idle and 2-2.5W seek/spin-up.

I'm a little surprised at how much power Intel's enterprise SSDs are using. I'm guessing a good chunk of the reason comes from having extra circuitry to do the double-conversion from 5/12V to ~30V and then back down to whatever the SSD needs.

drewriley

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]For conventional 3.5" HDDs, you have 5-8W idle, 10-15W seek and 15-25W spin-up.For 2.5" HDDs, you have ~1W idle and 2-2.5W seek/spin-up.I'm a little surprised at how much power Intel's enterprise SSDs are using. I'm guessing a good chunk of the reason comes from having extra circuitry to do the double-conversion from 5/12V to ~30V and then back down to whatever the SSD needs.[/citation]

You nailed it. If you look at 2.5" 15K and 10K RPM drive, the Intel is better on W/GB, but it is pretty high when compared to other SSDs.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
[citation][nom]adgjlsfhk[/nom]how does ssd power consumption compare to an hhd's in watts per gigabyte?[/citation]

i am not sure if watt/GB is important for storage.
Reason : the new philosophy is to "hurry up, finish the work, and relax".

Status
Not open for further replies.