Intel SSDs Double in Price on Newegg

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I really want to know the story behind them yanking the G2s from their site entirely. They never did this when they stopped shipping because of the firmware issue, they never did this when they went out of stock due to quickly selling, etc. I can only speculate that Intel must have refused to allow them to carry these drives from now on.

If I were Intel, I would certainly cut Newegg off. If this were just a matter of a normal part at a normal price, probably not. But did you read Intels press release when launching these drives? Have you read any of Intels PR copy? They're pushing the radical price drop MUCH more than any performance improvement. Their intention with these drives was to establish themselves as a major player in the SSD market, and to extract maximum benefit from their newly built 34nm production plant. Newegg just stole that from them. They didn't just bump the price a little (well, they did at first. On Saturday morning I got an auto-notify email saying they were in stock. I ordered one (chafing at the damned 1-per-customer rule since I was only buying them to set in a RAID... I can't use a single 80GB for anything and it's just sitting here till I manage to get a partner or two for it...) and an hour later they went back out of stock. 2 hours later, Newegg raised the price by $50. I was pissed about that. Within 24 hours, they raised it to an insane $500. They didn't just bump the price a bit. They took Intels plan to move from being the "yeah their drives are nice, but only idiots would pay that much for them" to "if you buy anything except Intel, you're just not thinking right" and just flushed it down the crapper. They guaranteed Intel would stay in the same position they were before, which would mean paying for that new fab plant would take even longer.

And Newegg has also drastically raised the price of the G1 series of drives, insuring that anyone looking for SSDs on Newegg won't give them a glance. They are probably hoping some people won't look too close and will buy the old drives on accident. I know that for weeks before they got stock, they had a retarded message on their site saying, basically, "The G2s are out of stock, buy the G1 instead" implying that the drives were the same.

OCZ pulled this shit too. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but the day after they announced their Z-Drive device, the price of all of their SSDs DOUBLED overnight. I expect that they realized the price of the Z-Drive made it so that you could buy 4 256GB models and put them in RAID for $1000 LESS than their overpriced new toy. So they made sure nobody would do that by doubling the price of every drive. And that was just the icing on the cake. They had announced 3 or 4 months before they released the Z-Drive that the price of the 1TB model would be $1500 - $1600. I planned on buying one ASAP. Then, they released it at $3600!!! Companies all around are getting off on gouging people for pretty basic devices that use commoditized components.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]swivelguy[/nom]Where do these anti-SSD people come from? Are they WD/Seagate shills? Are they just sore cause they bought a JMicron drive? Sore cause they can't afford one at all on their mommy's allowance?I find myself waiting for my system to do something every day. Not waiting very long, but sometimes a couple of seconds. When this happens, the CPU isn't loaded, so the computer is definitely not thinking real hard about what I asked it to do. There's definitely no shortage of RAM into which to load what I asked for. The video card is definitely not working hard to render the results to the screen. The performance of a computer when doing work is almost always file-system limited. This is why SSDs truly do rock. They take the slowest part of your computer and make it many times faster.Or perhaps you don't think there's a reason to make computers faster in general? How's that Pentium II treating you?For my laptop, I can buy a 320GB hard disk for $80, or I can buy an 80GB X25-M for $225. So I can either have 250GB of unused space, or I can have 100x the file system performance for under 3x the cost - not 15x. Oh, I also get longer battery life and eliminate some noise in the deal.[/citation]

I am not anti-SSD, I am anti-BS. I couldn't give a fuck about how start "a bunch of apps, right after windows boots" start. It's not a realistic scenario.
And SSD, particulary Intel's, wasn't always faster than conventional HDD, according to anand's tests.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]I am positively SICK AND TIRED of the villification of capitalism. The desire to make a lot of money is NOT an evil thing. It is a motivating force that drives people to do incredible things.[/citation]
It also sucks badly at some points. I mean capitalism. You just fail to admit it.

And greed is a bad thing. Bad things might be economically feasible, but they are still bad things.

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
And greed is a bad thing. Bad things might be economically feasible, but they are still bad things.

Huh?! That is the most self-referential and fallacious sentence, with no basis in reason or logic, that I think I have ever seen. You do realize that "bad" is a subjective, relative descriptor, don't you? On what basis do you make the claim that greed is inherently and naturally "bad"? Did you know that it is this sense of "greed" that causes flora and fauna to want to spread their genes throughout the biosphere, thereby promulgating life on this planet? Did you know that this sense of "greed" is what gets you up in the morning and motivates you to go to work/school? And that this sense of "greed" is what helps you put food into your stomach three times per day? And also the same sense that makes you think you are a better choice than the other candidates when interviewing for a job?

All Intel is doing is saying that the demand for these disks was higher than they expected. They couldn't keep up with it, so the way to slow it down was to raise the price. That's the ONLY way they could do it because their finished-goods inventories are being depleted faster than they can build it up. Intel doesn't want to ruin their reputation by drying up the supply of their item, so they raised the price. It's not greed, you dumb-ass, it's simple business tactics for keeping themselves in the game.

You, like all the other fiscal liberals that read here, really need to go to business school. Please, for the love of god, do this before making such idiotic statements again. Morons!

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]It also sucks badly at some points. I mean capitalism. You just fail to admit it.And greed is a bad thing. Bad things might be economically feasible, but they are still bad things.[/citation]
These are the sorts of arguments that are fronted by people who are too lazy to earn things for themselves. They just want "the rich to pay their fair share!" I.e., they want something for nothing. These are the same sorts of people who insist that healthcare is a right. I'm sorry to break this to you... but it isn't. By definition, a right can not require the unwilling servitude of another. That would just be a form of slavery. But since healthcare is primarily the services of someone schooled in the healing arts, then what you are really saying is that such people should and must grant their skills to anyone and everyone, and they have no say in the matter. Enter capitalism.

Commerce is the engine that runs the world. Someone has something that someone else wants or needs, and they are willing to trade for something they want or need. If only one person is providing something that everyone wants or needs, then they are in the driver's seat. If someone else comes along and offers that product or service for cheaper, then they will gain marketshare. If someone invents a cure for cancer, then they can charge whatever they want. You may not like it, and you may even think that they should have to give that cure to those in need. That's where you're wrong. Just because you need something, even if you life depends upon it, does not entitle you to the impose upon someone else. Without a material benefit, the desire to make a lot of money, there may have been no reason for that person to develop such a cure in the first place.

No take a look at places where "greed" is removed from the equation. How many fantastic breakthroughs have been made in Cuba, the former Soviet Union, former eastern bloc countries? Compare that with just the United States and it's no contest. Like I said before, the desire to accumulate wealth can motivate people to do incredible things. No, obviously, it can also motivate people to do evil things such as commit murder or fraud or larceny, etc. But that is why we have laws to punish such behavior. Overall, capitalism is a far greater force for good than ill, whether you care to admit it or not.

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
These are the same sorts of people who insist that healthcare is a right.

Jellico is right again. You do not have the right to:

1. own a home.
2. get free healthcare.
3. have clothes
4. have food
5. a college education
6. Etc., etc.

According to America's founding documents (if that's where you're writing from), the government's job is to secure the right to have the opportunity to obtain those things, but NOT to ENABLE them. This entitlement mentality you possess (coupled with neo-conservative imperialism) is what is driving up America's national debt by $80,000 per second. Economic egalitarianism will sink this ship through debt, no doubt about that.

G

To boogal:

Yes, it is true according to Moore's law if you wait about 2 years you can get twice of 320gig for half of the price, and then wait another 2 years 640gig for half of the price and who know wait long enough it is going to be 1 million Gig for almost $1 and super fast. But, still I will like to use this SSD today than when I am dead. It really doesn't matter once you don't need it any more. So wait until you are dead than you won't evern have to buy it so no $$$ spend. :)

G

This is clear price-gauging by newegg, I used to trust that they had the best prices, made shopping easier. Now with the intel SSD at 50% OVER LIST - that pisses me off.

I don't trust them and I perceive what made them great (prices and service) are going downhill. I will vote with my wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.