Intel Starts Shipping Haswell Processors to OEMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bee144

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
[citation][nom]slomo4sho[/nom]Meh... I'll wait off on the new socket type until there are motherboards compatible with DDR4 which should be sometime next year...[/citation]

Haswell is the last "open" socket type. I plan on buying this generation as Broadwell will have the CPU soldered onto the mobo. I want the ability to pick and choose.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]bee144[/nom]Haswell is the last "open" socket type. I plan on buying this generation as Broadwell will have the CPU soldered onto the mobo. I want the ability to pick and choose.[/citation]
That's why I plan to stick with AMD, that if the motherboard or cpu dies I only haft to buy one and not both.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]bee144[/nom]Haswell is the last "open" socket type. I plan on buying this generation as Broadwell will have the CPU soldered onto the mobo. I want the ability to pick and choose.[/citation]
Is that a rumor or confirmed?

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Man, is anyone else tired of having what "Tick Tock" means explained in every other intel article? It's been their release cycle since like 2006, at this point you should be able to just link to a Wikipedia page or something!

cbrunnem

Distinguished

not true. intel has said that it will likely keep the high end cpus in the lga format

CheesyHotDogPuff

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Nothing has been confirmed yet.

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Why would they switch back to soldering the CPU onto the motherboard? Most people don't build their own computers and having the CPU soldered onto the motherboard would make it harder for venders to service the computers they sell.

Too bad they are still waiting on the new revision chipset to fix the usb3 s3 wakeup issue, it is like the Sandy Bridge B2 chipset issue (had to do with the Sata ports) all over again....

rrbronstein

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
[citation][nom]utroz[/nom]Too bad they are still waiting on the new revision chipset to fix the usb3 s3 wakeup issue, it is like the Sandy Bridge B2 chipset issue (had to do with the Sata ports) all over again....[/citation]
its not a big issue and i could care less if my PC had the bug, it only affects a small pool of USB thumb drives. Not an issue so dont compare it to the SATA degradation on P67, that was a much bigger issue.

yobobjm

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I would get it, but my current build is still new. Why does intel have to mess around with motherboard sockets.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]kanoobie[/nom]Why would they switch back to soldering the CPU onto the motherboard?[/citation]
How is that "switching back"? Intel has never had BGA CPUs for mainstream desktops before, Broadwell would be the first time assuming Intel does not skip conventional desktop PCs altogether with Broadwell to focus entirely on all-in-one/tablet/ultrabook/SFF.

Since most people will never upgrade whatever CPU they buy with the original system (I have not bothered upgrading a CPU without upgrading the rest of the platform along with it in the last 12 years), the CPU being soldered to the motherboard won't matter for the vast majority of people.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]How is that "switching back"? Intel has never had BGA CPUs for mainstream desktops before, Broadwell would be the first time assuming Intel does not skip conventional desktop PCs altogether with Broadwell to focus entirely on all-in-one/tablet/ultrabook/SFF.Since most people will never upgrade whatever CPU they buy with the original system (I have not bothered upgrading a CPU without upgrading the rest of the platform along with it in the last 12 years), the CPU being soldered to the motherboard won't matter for the vast majority of people.[/citation]

Same, I don't upgrade my processor until it is time for a platform upgrade. However i still strongly disagree with the idea of a soldered design for two very big reasons. One being choosing what goes in to begin with. I have a hard time seeing a large selection like we're used to in the high end. Second is servicing. I'm an IT tech, and being able to swap failed parts is important to me. Even if i wasn't a tech it would be.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]CheesyHotDogPuff[/nom]Nothing has been confirmed yet.[/citation]
Multiple sources have confirmed that mainstream Broadwell CPUs will be BGA-only. What has not been confirmed yet is what the lowest-end socketed chip will be... will it start with i5 k-chips, LGA2011's successor or something lower-endish?

[citation][nom]kanoobie[/nom]Most people don't build their own computers and having the CPU soldered onto the motherboard would make it harder for venders to service the computers they sell.[/citation]
That is relative. With previous generations, most external interfaces served from various motherboard ICs that could get fried would still have required a labor-intensive motherboard swap. With just about everything that can fail integrated in the CPU, the rest of the motherboard is little more than a cheap passive backplane that is cheaper to chuck in the garbage bin than attempt to fix.

It could be argued that fewer fixable parts makes repairs simpler: no messing around with guessing whether the CPU or motherboard is the problem, no worrying about customers telling half the story when processing RMAs, no worrying about ruining a good motherboard with a bad CPU or vice-versa since they are now one single item, etc.

Also, on a conventional motherboard, the non-replaceable Intel chipset accounts for 30-50% of the cost. Replacing the chipset with the CPU simply increases that proportion to 50-80%. In either case, an Intel chip gets fried, the board is dead.

Well the advantage of upgrade-able motherboards is that if you are tight on funds you can get a inexpensive cpu to get yourself running and then get a top of the line when tax returns coming the next year (or when you have the money). Also I have upgraded many cpu's for my clients both in laptops and in desktops. Also as been mentioned sometimes cpu's can be bad and it is alot cheaper to just replace the cpu than it would be to replace a motherboard with a built-in cpu..

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
The rumor is that will not happen with desktop CPUs, rather only with laptop CPUs that are used by manufacturers of these laptops. How many people actually upgrade their laptop CPU? Anyone? *crickets*

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Soldering the CPU to the mobo will be due to the move to decreasing board size in general. Intel's NUC is only 4"x4" and ITX is becoming more popular. Imagine fiddling CPUs and big heatsinks on those boards and you can see why soldered CPUs may be afoot.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I am good with a solderedchip if it results in price drops for low end/ small size systems. by thte time i am am getting ready to replace a chip in the htpc i am more than happy to have it soldered in, i sure am not going to bother upgrading it. now on my gaming pc its nice to have the option, but i have only swapped chips once in 20 years of building computers. usually i buy the chip i want instead of incremental upgrades

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
It's not the last LGA. Broadwell is probably going to be BGA only (Intel and motherboard vendors have confirmed this) but there was a recent slide someone showed me in the comments that showed an LGA part too, though it's likely it'll see limited production.

Mobo vendors have also suggested that Skylake will see a proper return to LGA.

Intel's also confirmed a fix for the USB 3.0 bug (which is chipset related), but apparently some C1 boards will ship along with the revised ones.

Hold off till Black Friday, you should be fine.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]smeezekitty[/nom]It looks like it will be partially true. http://www.techpowerup.com/177817/ [...] ailed.htmlIt will be available in both BGA and LGA varients with the high end market being LGA.Not quite as bad as described above but still "oh shit!"[/citation]
On the other hand, if either the MB or the CPU dies, you will simply get both new under one guarantee.

When I was younger, I always had CPU upgrades in mind but I don't think about that anymore. I upgraded my CPU 2 times out of about 7 machines and it always turned out to be a waste of money in the end. Similar with the graphics cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.