Intel stock cooler running at 2400RPM constantly even though temperatures are normal?

marshedpotato

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
I recently upgraded CPU, motherboard and RAM to i7 6700, ASRock H170 Pro4 and 16GB of DDR4 2133. I will eventually be upgrading my CPU cooler, but at the moment I am just using the Intel stock cooler, which to my horror is unbearably loud. I was expecting it to be kind of loud, but not like this, so I downloaded OpenHardwareMonitor which reported the CPU cooler spinning at 2400RPM! I did not believe this at first, so I downloaded Speedfan too, which also reported it running at this speed. The strange part is that my temperatures are absolutely normal, 30-35 degrees idle and 75-80 degrees under load. I have checked to make sure that the cooler is plugged into the CPU_FAN header on my motherboard, and I have reset my BIOS back to factory settings just to be sure there's nothing dodgy going on there. But no luck, it insists on running at 2400RPM (which I can only assume is full speed) all the time.

The only option I could find in my BIOS is a "silent mode" but when I enable that the fan doesn't spin at all and my computer ultimately ends up crashing. I really am stumped. Any ideas / advice would be very much appreciated.

Solution
The stock 92mm fan needs to turn at those speeds under load.

Your idle temperatures are good, indicating you have mounted the tricky pushpins well.

Look for some advanced settings for fan control. it may be in the advanced section where overclocking settings are listed.
You can probably set the fan profile lower at the cost of adequate cooling.

$30 will buy you a nice air tower which is all you need. Cryorig H7 and cm hyper212 have 120mm fans which will be quieter.

marshedpotato

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

I did check this but the CPU_FAN is set to "Standard" mode. There is a "Full Speed" mode, but it is set to the "Standard" mode at the moment and is still spinning at full speed :/ Thanks for your response though, much appreciated.

The stock 92mm fan needs to turn at those speeds under load.

Your idle temperatures are good, indicating you have mounted the tricky pushpins well.

Look for some advanced settings for fan control. it may be in the advanced section where overclocking settings are listed.
You can probably set the fan profile lower at the cost of adequate cooling.

$30 will buy you a nice air tower which is all you need. Cryorig H7 and cm hyper212 have 120mm fans which will be quieter.

Solution

marshedpotato

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

Thank you for the link, downloading now. Will let you know if it does the trick.

marshedpotato

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

Thanks for your reply! Yeah I would understand it going at these speeds under load but it spins this fast whilst idle too. It even spins this fast when just in the BIOS. I really don't understand it.

I was actually looking at picking up a Noctua U14S, but I want to solve this first as I'm concerned that if I pick up a new cooler, the fan will just spin at full speed 24/7 on that too.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
These are excellent coolers and lower priced the universal has 0 memory clearance issues in case you bought tall heat sinks on your memory.
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h5ultimate%2Ccryorig-cpu-cooler-h5universal/
I use this cooler it's in the same price range as what you listed and still no memory issues i7 4790K @ 4.5 72C max temp running OCCT.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF1H68919

The stock intel cooler has a 4 pin pwm fan.
Make certain all 4 pins are connected properly into the CPU1 fan header on the motherboard.
If only some of the pins go in, it will always run at full speed.

It is normal for the cooler to go full speed for a bit when booting and to stay on after power-off for a while.

marshedpotato

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

I've just verified that it is correctly connected to the CPU_FAN header on the board with all 4 pins properly making contact but still no change. I can manually set the fan to run at 60%, 70%, 80% speed etc but no matter what speed I set it to, it still just spins at 2300RPM. If i set it to a low speed like 30% or 40% then it just stops spinning completely. It's like it only has 2 options, full speed or no speed! Thank you for all your help and ideas though, much appreciated.

marshedpotato

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

They look like very nice coolers indeed. I'll definitely check them out. Thank you!