Intel Sues Over "Intel" Trademark Infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
even if it doesn't make sense, Intel has to defend their name. There are many examples of trademarks becoming meaningless because the companies fail to keep the meaning restricted to their product or brand. Xerox became a common name for copies, and Rollerblades became a common name for in-line skates. Not saying it will happen to Intel, but it shows why Intel is going to be aggressive about trademark infringement.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Only lawyers may be able to understand how Intelspec could have capitalized in its business by using "Intel" as part of its name.

I disagree with you there. I see Intel in a company name and think of computers instantly, but maybe I'm just a geek. Brand recognition is extremely important for companies like Intel, and especially with something as pronounced as "Pentium."

And this doesn't sound like reporting to me, this story is riddled with your opinions. Leave the opinions to the comments section, we users have them in excess.

G

Near as I can tell, Intel isn't defensible in any substantial fashion. They would need to have it be IntelMicro or something similar to be defensible. (like what they did with Pentium when they found out that 586 was too generic) Intel is a very common usage word, particularly around the defense industry where IntelSpec has contracts. IntelSpec makes perfect sense there.

In short, I think this suit could actually go quite poorly for Intel, and cause a name change.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]I disagree with you there. I see Intel in a company name and think of computers instantly, but maybe I'm just a geek. Brand recognition is extremely important for companies like Intel, and especially with something as pronounced as "Pentium."And this doesn't sound like reporting to me, this story is riddled with your opinions. Leave the opinions to the comments section, we users have them in excess.[/citation]

That might be true, but also think of how many people are going to look for Intel and find Intelspec, LLC to buy processors. Their business is way off Intel's business, have you been to their website? have you looked in the search engines like Bing or Google? put intel and you'll find page after page about intel processors and everything intel, put intelspec and you'll find Intelspec in the first page, then the lawsuits and then a bunch of websites with Intel specs (specifications) of computers running Intel processors.

Intelspec is a construction and engineering firm that is, for example, taking contracts for waste management facilities, mining, oilfield infrastructure, as well as military and government construction.

I understand Intel is obligated to defend their trademark. However, in the case of Intelspec, you're not looking for a branded type of service they provide. If I'm looking for a company to provide oilfield infrastructure, I'm not looking for "intel" anything, I'm looking for 'oilfield infrastructure'. Intelspec doesn't produce or provide a service that has 'intel' as any part of the name or description of the service.

I'll never go looking for an "intel" processor and decide to spend the money on "intelspec" to dig a well for me instead.

I have two family members who worked as paralegals and that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge in this area, so I'm making this up as I go.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Gonna go do some retro gaming on my Intellivision.

But to be honest, if I were Paul Otellini, I would probably do the same thing. Intelspec would probably have a better case if they were Intellspec or In-Tell Spec. They will get some good publicity though.

yrmoma

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
This is silly. Microsoft doesn't go around suing people that have "Windows" in their name, just because they hold a trademark on Windows. There's a reason for it; window is a noun and a word describing something all on its own. The same thing goes for intel. Granted, it's an abbreviation, but it's still a word. I have a feeling this lawsuit won't go too far.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nordlead[/nom]even if it doesn't make sense, Intel has to defend their name. There are many examples of trademarks becoming meaningless because the companies fail to keep the meaning restricted to their product or brand. Xerox became a common name for copies, and Rollerblades became a common name for in-line skates. Not saying it will happen to Intel, but it shows why Intel is going to be aggressive about trademark infringement.[/citation]

intel is short for intelligence, so i cant real see a trade mark on that, unless its blatantly trying to deceive.

Martell77

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
You have to look at it from all intelligence levels. There are some out there that hear Intel anything and associate it with Intel. Its just name recognition, which is what they wanted.

Using Intel in the name could lead some to think that Intel is the parent company and if there is a problem, might try to call Intel to complain. Its is very possible that someone accociating the 2 companies might think that Intel is branching into other industries and then have certain expectations.

Using Intelli- is different because it asscociates with "intelligent" in your mind.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I see this lawsuit going nowhere. They are not in the same industry (industrial engineering vs. wafer process).

I'm no lawyer, although I did take a class on the legal aspects of engineering (worthless, perhaps?). There needs to be some kind of damage; something has to be overtly infringed, and the name has to cause some kind if ambiguation between the two companies, diverting customers and money, justifying the lawsuit.

I'm not seeing it here.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Martell77[/nom]You have to look at it from all intelligence levels. There are some out there that hear Intel anything and associate it with Intel. Its just name recognition, which is what they wanted.Using Intel in the name could lead some to think that Intel is the parent company and if there is a problem, might try to call Intel to complain. Its is very possible that someone accociating the 2 companies might think that Intel is branching into other industries and then have certain expectations.Using Intelli- is different because it asscociates with "intelligent" in your mind.[/citation]

How about military "intel"? The chip manufacturer did not invent the term. Whether or not the military reference (facts about a subject) came first, Intel Corp is not the originator.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
So, Intel is worried that someone may mistakenly go to Instelspec and buys a Bulldozer to construct a site instead of using a Sandy Bridge.

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I think Apple should filed a trademark infringement lawsuit against intel because intel's name starts with an i. We all know by now that ALL words with an i as the first letter is property of Apple...

[citation][nom]godnodog[/nom]So, Intel is worried that someone may mistakenly go to Instelspec and buys a Bulldozer to construct a site instead of using a Sandy Bridge.[/citation]

I see what you did there. Good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.