Intel suggests removing CMOS batt -- why?

mcaren

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I just called Intel to get a replacement for a bad Intel DG965WHMKR LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Motherboard.

The technician(?) asking the questions and approving the replacement said they'd send out another board -- but suggested when I receive it that I take out the CMOS battery for a few minutes, put it back and then test the mobo outside the case w/PSU & fans.

I'm wondering why the CMOS thing is necessary -- I thought that was done when you needed to clear a password or clear old settings -- why would a new mobo need this?

Thanks. mcaren

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
I wasn't there, so I can't be sure, but it sounds like he's simply giving you troubleshootings instructions in case the new board doesn't POST. Intel wants to make absolutely sure that the mobo is DOA before they send you a new one. I'm pretty sure that clearing the BIOS settings using the jumper will have the same effect as removing the battery; I wouldn't even bother unless you have problems getting it up and running.

Corasik

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Sometimes the cmos clr jumper doesnt work, dont ask me why, but I've had several computers which required a battery out + cmos reset to recover. Actually had one computer that would need that if there was ever a mains power failer, and the PC was on at the time.

mcaren

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Thanks everyone. I wasn't sure how Intel tested their motherboards -- couldn't figure why they'd need to clear bios settings if the board was new. (I was afraid this meant they were going to send me a used board.) Good info.