Intel switch from AMD

Solution
Depends what do you want to switch to and for what usage. Switching to a PentiumG or I3 might be better in some cases and worse in others. Switching to an I7 6700k will bring quite the improvement.

Shneiky

Distinguished
Depends what do you want to switch to and for what usage. Switching to a PentiumG or I3 might be better in some cases and worse in others. Switching to an I7 6700k will bring quite the improvement.

Solution

KILL-DE-KANGAROO

Honorable
Jul 20, 2014

Games:

Assassins Creed games
Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain
Far Cry series
Half Life series
The Witcher 3
Fallout 4 (once released)

Aurunemaru

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
i5 or i7 are better and more futureproof
a i7 6700k will give a small bump for gaming, it's still a improvement but almost same as a i5 6600k
most noticeable difference between i5 and i7 is multitasking

Shneiky

Distinguished
You are kidding me right?

There is nothing wrong to upgrading to Skylake. Intel will not start soldering the mainstream socket again. It is how it is. Stop inventing problems that were not there just for the sake of being able to trash at something.

Sure TIM is not as good as plain old solder - but this is how it is going to be. And apart from "extreme overclocking" there has been no issues. CPUs don't die out of nowhere. Most of those dead CPUs is because someone dicided to slam 1.4 vCore through them thinking this is Sandy. Well it is not Sandy and it will not take 1.4 vCore. This is Haswell and Skylake. I would never go over 1.25 on them.

Temperatures on AMD CPUs are not comparable with Intel CPUs.

AMD CPUs have lower thermal density, while having higher heat volume. Or in other words - they run lower C, but produce more watts of heat. Since heat is actually a volume and not just a C or a F value - AMD does run hotter.

Intel CPUs have hot running cores, but they produce less watts of heat - meaning they have higher thermal density - they run higher C, but are cooler overall.

Strapping a cooler to an AMD and Intel processor and saying - "AMD is at 60C, Intel is at 75C = AMD is cooler, Intel TIM sucks, do not upgrade" is just plain misunderstanding of basic physics that should be tough when you were 14-15.

Also, CLCs are a joke, specially all Asetek designs. They are overrated and people are misinformed on how good they actually are. Large air coolers are always superior to CLCs withing their price range and the only water cooling that makes sense is a custom loop.

just for me I went from a 990fx and 6100- 8150- 8350 - to a 4670 z87 and all I did was buy a board and chip and pulled the rest off the 990fx build

and cant say it was the wrong move I look back now and wondered why I spent any money and time on that crap AM3+

and to add I never built intel for 15 years been a true amd guy but AM3+ changed my thinking [opinion]

Shneiky

Distinguished
@forcha44,

Out of that copy-paste post that you already posted before under a different name, you clearly are showing that you have all ill intentions of hating Intel regardless of the cause.

Out of all of those - 1 person most likely killed the memory controller on his CPU with his 2400 MHz OC RAM and another one having CPU issues that are still undefined - most likely a PSU or a power surge killed his CPU. All other are CPU cooler or PSU related issued and NOT CPU.

The last one you just posted is a thermal paste application issue.

I am reporting you for your behavior. You are insisting to misinform and lead people to false information that you based on your own emotions without considering any facts or evidence.

pimpanther

Distinguished
May 14, 2014
not you again forcha44.going on about how intel are all rubbish since ivybridge.? i have a great Haswell rig and wouldn't swap it for anything else.i can oc to 4.8 with the automatic tuning utility on the asus hero mobo ,

Erik DeSart

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015
I was an amd guy for years and years but intel has simply come out with a better product and maybe more importantly is working closer with Nvidia so when I made the switch I built a new rig and went intel + nvidia.

ifIwasarichman

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
I had AMD for a while and I had Nvidia cards, when I switched to intel I had AMD cards - my rig at present is a i5 4690K (OC to 4.2) with a 290X both water cooled for gaming.
Just the way it worked out at the time.
Never had any problems with either setup.
Heard AMD has gotten down to a die size of 14nm, wonder how that will perform.

I suspect the OP has abandoned this thread, but going back to the original question, no, I don't think you'll notice much of a difference. The 8350, whilst a bit long in the tooth, is still a perfectly capable gaming CPU, particularly when paired with a 60hz monitor. You only need to consider upgrading when your existing components start to bottleneck.

What makes you suspect that your existing motherboard is failing?

ifIwasarichman

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
I totally agree with Bicycle repair man - "You only need to consider upgrading when your existing components start to bottleneck.", but to also include or enable new functions if needed, not just desired (examples -Widi, PCIe 3 slots or M.2 slots).
We come sometimes be seduced by advertising, but it is better to rely on the results of good testing and advice from those who know.
Always remember - the only stupid question is the one you do not ask, the only stupid answer is when they don't give you the truth.