Intel Talks About Windows 7 Optimizations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this article will illicit a negative response from folks who are AMD only. :) I don't take sides, but I just wonder. I also wonder if AMD was able to work as closely with Microsoft or not.

G

I'm amazed for the Solid State drives!
However, Intel's SS drives are pretty fast and efficient themselves!
It's other MLC drives that need compatibility (by having write cache enabled and delayed writes when a reading operation is being done).

I only have one more request on windows 7,that the disk defrag program might be optimized, not to clutter files from the same directory over the disk, but to try to fit them as close to eachother as possible, allowing faster program bootups.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
AMD really doesn't matter folks... oh wait, I don't own any Intel systems. So much for upgrading to Windows 7 for me I guess :)

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I'm sure Microsoft works with AMD closely as well as AMD does own a sizeable market as well.

This article talks about Intel, doesn't mean AMD is excluded.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]I wonder if this article will illicit a negative response from folks who are AMD only. I don't take sides, but I just wonder. I also wonder if AMD was able to work as closely with Microsoft or not.[/citation]

They do. Not long a ago, a report says that AMD is working closely with M$ on developing codes that is optimized for virtualization. However, Intel always have more resources to provide better documentation and tech support.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
If your an AMD fan, I wouldn't get worried over this article. For CPU performance, it mostly talks about improved use of HyperThreading, which is only on the new Nehalem line. Those CPU's are in a price bracket which AMD doesn't even really compete in. So if you stick to comparing AMD processors to their Intel equivalents, increased hyperthreading support doesn't matter because Core 2 doesn't have hyperthreading. So don't get worried that you should have bought the $150 Intel CPU instead of the $150 AMD CPU.

G

People also forget that intel has more software engineers than microsoft...

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]I'm sure Microsoft works with AMD closely as well as AMD does own a sizeable market as well.This article talks about Intel, doesn't mean AMD is excluded.[/citation]

I think this article was just highlighted because of the difference between Hyper-Threading and an actual core. Since AMD doesn't have Hyper-Threading like technology, I guess any improvements made to take advantage of multiple cores to Intel CPUs should also apply to AMD CPUs.

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I can't help wonder why it nowhere in the above text says that the source is a post on the Windows Partner Blog, written by(surprise) Intel. Original post can be found at http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/partner/archive/2009/07/22/your-windows-7-experience-rooted-in-close-technical-collaboration.aspx other contributers are Lenovo and nVidia according to their own posts on the 3 day old blog.

The idea of the post is naturally to make us think AMD was left out of the development. However as it can be read @ http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Announce-Windows-7-Oriented-Devices-4104-01.html that's not the case.
They instead provide the quote:

“AMD continues to be a great industry partner and we are very happy to work with them to deliver great premium experiences for our mutual customers. With technology such as DirectX 11 graphics cards, AMD understands PC users' needs by providing a dynamic entertainment experience,” said Mike Ybarra, General Manager, Windows Product Management, Microsoft Corp. “Because we worked closely with AMD in the development and test process of Windows 7, users running Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional on an AMD-based platform can experience a rich, fast computing experience.”

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i have win7 installed at an athlon xp 2000 and here an athlon x2 5000. system response is way better than vista. i don't see any problem with this news.

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
The translation of this article is:

Intel helped Microsoft make Windows 7 run better using it's CPU.

I wouldn't be surprised if this turns into a lawsuit against Intel.... AGAIN! LOL.

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]M$ doesn't want to cooperate with AMD? Perhaps AMD didn't have the same money to bribe MS to get their own optimizations in place.[/citation]
Your ignorance is laughable.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]M$ doesn't want to cooperate with AMD? Perhaps AMD didn't have the same money to bribe MS to get their own optimizations in place.[/citation]
It doesn't say AMD has no optimisations. They just haven't talked about them.

da bahstid

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
[citation][nom]douken[/nom]http://sites.amd.com/us/microsoft/ [...] ows-7.aspx/silence all[/citation]

Actually, that doesn't make mention of Hyperthreading, and contrary to popular belief, pretty much all AMD chips since single-core Athlon 64s do in fact have. Go look up any Athlon or Phenom chip and see for yourself. Hopefully AMD has been able to do a bit more with MS to get hyperthreading support for their chips as well, though somehow I kind of doubt it.

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]da bahstid[/nom]Actually, that doesn't make mention of Hyperthreading, and contrary to popular belief, pretty much all AMD chips since single-core Athlon 64s do in fact have. Go look up any Athlon or Phenom chip and see for yourself. Hopefully AMD has been able to do a bit more with MS to get hyperthreading support for their chips as well, though somehow I kind of doubt it.[/citation]

I know for a fact that neither my athlon x2 5600 or my phenom 3750 have hyper threading. So I'm interested to know where you got this information.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]da bahstid[/nom]Actually, that doesn't make mention of Hyperthreading, and contrary to popular belief, pretty much all AMD chips since single-core Athlon 64s do in fact have. Go look up any Athlon or Phenom chip and see for yourself. Hopefully AMD has been able to do a bit more with MS to get hyperthreading support for their chips as well, though somehow I kind of doubt it.[/citation]
That is HyperTransport, not Hyperthreading. Totally different thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.