News Intel Targets AMD, Slashes 10th Gen Chip Prices

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Intel's gain in my opinion is due to,
  1. Barely any Ryzen 5000 supply
  2. Even if you can find it, the prices tend to be inflated.

So its not a reason for Intel to celebrate because they've done nothing to gain back market share other than doing what they are already doing.

As for lowering prices, I think it makes sense since they would also want to clear out existing Comet Lake chips in preparation for Rocket and Alder Lake this year. While this will boost their sales, it may not boost their profit because they cut deep into their fat margin by doing this. As an end user, I would still caution potential buyers to consider the below points even if the CPU is cheaper,
1. Depending on the CPU chosen, you may need to get a good motherboard with a high end chipset if you want to overclock or maintain a high boost clockspeed. So it will add up to your cost.

2. Cost of cooler - Depending on whether you are getting an i3, i5 or i7/i9, you probably need to get an after market cooler to get the most out of the processor even if it can't OC. The stock cooler that comes with the i3 and i5 quite frankly is a joke. The higher end you go, the more you need to spend on a good cooler which will add up to the cost. The same can be said with AMD's processors, but considering AMD's 142W stock boost power limit vs Intel's 250+ W power limit, the latter flagship is significantly harder to cool.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Intel's gain in my opinion is due to,
  1. Barely any Ryzen 5000 supply
  2. Even if you can find it, the prices tend to be inflated.
The cheapest 5000 CPU had an MSRP of $300, with the next rung up all the way at $450. That's not where overall major market share gains and losses occur. Doesn't really matter how many 5950x's AMD produced, they will certainly help their ASP and margins, but not their market share. AMD needs 5000 series CPU's in the $225 range and under to really move the market share numbers, but barring something completely unexpected, it doesn't look like those will show up in time.

Intel Core i9-11900K Rocket Lake Flagship Scores Huge In Geekbench, Fastest Single-Threaded CPU Performance Ever Recorded & 13% Faster Than AMD’s Zen 3

Intel seems to have things under control, and next month, if they can release a full product stack, should have CPU's in that $200 price range that will be faster than AMD's fastest for mainstream use.

Reactions: Gurg

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
If you're building a gaming rig then Intel has the edge.

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-9-3900x/p/N82E16819113103 <--- $484 and it loses out in regards to gaming more times than naught vs Intel's $150 i5 10040F.

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-10400f-core-i5-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118132
This is only from a gaming perspective. It depends on individual usage because for me, gaming is secondary. I went for the 3900X because of video encoding/ decoding purpose, and because I game mostly at 1440p or higher resolution, this is a non issue for me. Most people getting a 3900X should not be gaming at 1080p in my opinion.

This is only from a gaming perspective. It depends on individual usage because for me, gaming is secondary. I went for the 3900X because of video encoding/ decoding purpose, and because I game mostly at 1440p or higher resolution, this is a non issue for me. Most people getting a 3900X should not be gaming at 1080p in my opinion.
Hence the reason I stated 'gaming'.

1440 benchmarks.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-10400f/16.html

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
The cheapest 5000 CPU had an MSRP of $300, with the next rung up all the way at $450. That's not where overall major market share gains and losses occur. Doesn't really matter how many 5950x's AMD produced, they will certainly help their ASP and margins, but not their market share. AMD needs 5000 series CPU's in the $225 range and under to really move the market share numbers, but barring something completely unexpected, it doesn't look like those will show up in time.

Intel Core i9-11900K Rocket Lake Flagship Scores Huge In Geekbench, Fastest Single-Threaded CPU Performance Ever Recorded & 13% Faster Than AMD’s Zen 3

Intel seems to have things under control, and next month, if they can release a full product stack, should have CPU's in that $200 price range that will be faster than AMD's fastest for mainstream use.
I will reserve the conclusion until I see proper benchmark results. Having said that, I feel many think that AMD's chip is too expensive, even myself. But considering that they don't own the fab, plus they are using a more advanced node than Intel, it is expected that the cost may be higher. Moreover all these chips are unlocked, i.e. there are no artificial restrictions imposed like Intel does on their range of processors. So if you buy an unlocked Intel chip, they tend to come with a steep premium as well, on top of having to buy a high end Z series board to support these unlocked features.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How does that supply and demand thing work again? :unsure:
Intel clearly has the supply, thanks to owning their own fabs, but to continue slashing prices... would that not mean demand isn't that high, or isn't as high as they'd like it to be?
They got hit somewhere...

Hmm... Intel doesn't appear to have lost much. Well, they're awake at least.
A swing and a miss from AMD; good product, but not having their own fabs really hurt.

I feel many think that AMD's chip is too expensive, even myself.
Is it really though?
[Launch prices - small sample size - I'm not putting down a ginormous list, for obvious reasons.]
Ryzen 1600/X: 219 - 249USD
Ryzen 1700/X: 329 - 399
Core i5-8600/K: 213 - 257
Core i7-8700/K: 303 - 359

Ryzen 2600/X: 199 - 229
Ryzen 2700/X: 299 - 329
Core i5-9600/K: 213 - 262
Core i7-9700/K: 323 - 374
Core i9-9900/K: 423 - 488

Ryzen 3600/X: 199 - 249
Ryzen 3700X/8X: 329 - 399
Core i9-9900KS: 513

Ryzen 5600X: 299
Ryzen 5800X: 449
Core i5-10600/K: 213 - 262
Core i7-10700/K: 323 - 374
[None of this takes into account things like mobo/ram/cooling, etc.]

AMD took the lead Vs Comet Lake... why not be entitled to charge a premium for the #1 product?
Intel had it all those other times.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Alternative headline:
Intel offer great deal to consumers! Just as AMD finally has new product arriving in stores, Intel in a nod to consumers, lowers prices on its top CPUs forcing AMD to follow.

Tomorrow at MC: 25+ 5900x @ $799 $550
25+ 5800x @ $650 $450
25+ 5600x @ $450 $299

Thank you Intel for looking out for consumer and stopping AMD price gouging! LOL!:)

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Intel clearly has the supply, thanks to owning their own fabs, but to continue slashing prices... would that not mean demand isn't that high, or isn't as high as they'd like it to be?
How many PC owners are going to undertake a new build if they can't find a decent performing GPU at a reasonable price to include? How many PC owners could significantly increase their PCs performance in the applications they use by upgrading just their CPU/motherboard?

Yes I could upgrade my 9600k purchase @ $229 in 12/2018 to a 9900k for $299 and a tube of CPU paste, but I really would not see any appreciable increased performance in the applications I use.

So tomorrow I'm going to purchase a 50" 4k smart TV instead.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How many PC owners are going to undertake a new build if they can't find a decent performing GPU at a reasonable price to include? How many PC owners could significantly increase their PCs performance in the applications they use by upgrading just their CPU?
Dunno. That's why I'm asking. It appears many people jumped in DIY PC blind; just started buying stuff with no planning in advance, with most of 'em being unable to see completion because they're stuck waiting/hunting for a new gpu.
There's already threads here - and likely elsewhere - of this nature: "I've got all my parts but the gpu. What can I do to get one? How long do I have to wait?"

Yes I could upgrade my 9600k purchase @ $229 in 12/2018 to a 9900k for $299 and a tube of CPU paste, but I really would not see any appreciable increased performance in the applications I use.
That's great! Kudos to you!
I wish more people knew what the heck they actually NEEDED, Vs wants, and needlessly wasting their cash - even if they know they're doing so.

Reactions: Gurg

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
i mostly game on my comp, and i STILL picked up the 3900x about this time last year, and i play those games at 1080p :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:. but part of that is cause of the part that my screen is 1080p, and i have a strix 1060.

Reactions: phenomiix6

Jim90

Distinguished
Alternative headline:
Intel offer great deal to consumers! Just as AMD finally has new product arriving in stores, Intel in a nod to consumers, lowers prices on its top CPUs forcing AMD to follow.

Tomorrow at MC: 25+ 5900x @ $799 $550
25+ 5800x @ $650 $450
25+ 5600x @ $450 $299

Thank you Intel for looking out for consumer and stopping AMD price gouging! LOL!:)

You forget one thing...Intel has NEVER done anything "for consumers". It's all about profit. Don't you remember all those barely incremental, eye-wateringly expensive CPU updates we had the privilege of being thrown at us (thanks Intel!) for all those years before Zen? That Intel is forced to lower prices - and lower them further here - is testament to AMD's competition. Intel would NEVER, EVER do this without competitive pressure. It would do you well not to 'forget' this.

Reactions: phenomiix6
How does that supply and demand thing work again? :unsure:
They got hit somewhere...
It works in the way that intel sits on the source and if there weren't any demand they could just stop making 10th gen (months ago) and focus on making more 11th gen to have enough of them at release.

This article is purely about a super-market (amazon) selling off milk that is about to expire at a big discount to get rid of it and not have to pay on top for disposing it.
Don't you remember all those barely incremental, eye-wateringly expensive CPU updates we had the privilege of being thrown at us (thanks Intel!) for all those years before Zen?
Yeah, just imagine where AMD would be today if intel released a 6/12 haswell and a 8/16 skylake while AMD only had FX to sell.
Yes intel absolutely needs the competition to be able to sell cheap CPUs.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Don't you remember all those barely incremental, eye-wateringly expensive CPU updates we had the privilege of being thrown at us (thanks Intel!) for all those years before Zen? That Intel is forced to lower prices - and lower them further here - is testament to AMD's competition. Intel would NEVER, EVER do this without competitive pressure. It would do you well not to 'forget' this.
Guess I was intelligent enough to never participate in incremental expensive updates.
Q9550 from Q6600 36% increase in Passmark CPU score.
2011 2500k from Q9550 113% increase.
2012 2700k from 2500k 20.9% increase,
2014 5820k from 2700k 34% increase.
2018 9600k from 5820k 1.4% decline, replaced as bio revision killed motherboard.

Last edited:
As if they can even compete with the size of Apple... :whistle:

TSMC can only do so much...

It's only a matter of time Intel or Apple or NVIDIA come in and say "we'll pay double whatever AMD is paying." That will be a deathnail. And that worries me. It's dirty pool. Yes it's free market. But we always benefit from competition. And TSMC is a linchpin.

On a side note:
Apple has some extremely deep pockets, and while they hold the best selling phones on the market, it's because they don't allow 3rd parties.

If you look at apple's share across the board comparing iOS to android and macbooks/desktops to windows, Apple really is a tiny player with deep deep pockets.

While the m1 appears to be a good chip, I have always been a bit flummoxed always about Apple's market cap valuation. Their iPhone sales are not meeting predictions from the marketing team for a while now. Apple is a me too when it comes to features and no longer a leader of phone design. So I wish I had the insight others seem to have on apple that allows them to make such profits on a "lifestyle" brand name.

Reactions: Phaaze88
It's only a matter of time Intel or Apple or NVIDIA come in and say "we'll pay double whatever AMD is paying." That will be a deathnail. And that worries me. It's dirty pool. Yes it's free market. But we always benefit from competition. And TSMC is a linchpin.
TSMC has spend 18bil last year on expanding, intel got a new FAB online last year and is always expanding and I'm sure samsung and even glofo are expanding as well.
AMDs console CPUs are going to stay at 7nm for several years and basically AMD could stay at 7nm for their whole line up for a few years without it hurting them.
Things are very crammed right now but this is not going to go on for very long unless everybody needs to be on the latest node all the time just to make a sale.

Title:
AMD 5000 series CPUs selling like hotcakes, Intel lowers prices amid dismal demand and upcoming product launch.

I know the timeline of doing so is unrealistic, but Intel could make a killing leasing fab space to AMD/Nvidia GPU manufacture.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
AMDs console CPUs are going to stay at 7nm for several years and basically AMD could stay at 7nm for their whole line up for a few years without it hurting them.

Intel's moving laptop and desktop to 10esf starting with Alder Lake. Sapphire Rapids and Xe-HP are also using 10esf.

The core count is going up with Alder Lake, so it will be interesting to see if Intel can compete on AMD's favorite multi-core benchmarks.

I agree on most comments here. So situation right now:
  1. AMD short supply (not "no supply", though).
  2. Intel has enough CPU's and can cover the demand (sorta).
  3. Intel lowers prices even more

Question: why cutting prices if AMD can't compete because of short supply?
Yes, many are ready to wait a little to get better product -simple as that. Or using different words: current (lower) prices show how much these CPU's are actually worth. Demand and supply, right?

There was said, AMD should have something below 300$ to compete.. well, it has: 3000 series still exists and can in many cases compete with current Intel CPU's.

Saying all that, I'm happy AMD camper.. not only now, but also for next years to come.. "big" cores combined with "small" cores"? .. meh.

Reactions: Olle P