News Intel Teases 8 GHz Raptor Lake World Record

InvalidError

Titan
Is anyone else have netburst de ja vu? Clockspeed, power, and heat are jumping to new heights to keep pace with competition thats rocking a fundamentally more efficient core.
Between increased complexity and higher clocks, AMD's TDPs are skyrocketing too.

Netburst's worst problem was that performance gains significantly lagged the TDP increases most of the time. As long as performance scales at least linearly with power, the overall system power efficiency is still improving.

Reactions: artk2219 and King_V

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Between increased complexity and higher clocks, AMD's TDPs are skyrocketing too.

Netburst's worst problem was that performance gains significantly lagged the TDP increases most of the time. As long as performance scales at least linearly with power, the overall system power efficiency is still improving.
I think it's highly unlikely P cores will be more efficient at 6GHz. I think we'll see a regression in efficiency in the P cores this gen. No doubt that will be offset in the real world by extra E cores that will bring up overall efficiency of MT scores. Still, I think my point will still stand that Intel is burning substantially more power to hit 6GHz than the increase in performance warrants.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I think it's highly unlikely P cores will be more efficient at 6GHz. I think we'll see a regression in efficiency in the P cores this gen. No doubt that will be offset in the real world by extra E cores that will bring up overall efficiency of MT scores. Still, I think my point will still stand that Intel is burning substantially more power to hit 6GHz than the increase in performance warrants.
Most of Intel's DeskTop & Power Users don't care for efficiency; they just want to their programs to "GO FAST" & they'll burn every extra watt necessary to get that higher frequency.
Efficiency be damned.

Having the E-cores is a waste of Silicon Space on Intel's Desktop CPU line.

Let the E-cores be Intel's crutch to power consumption on mobile.

Desktop doesn't need it & doesn't care.

Reactions: artk2219
Seems there are still people in the world who cares about high frecuency max/turbo clock speed.....

OC records are awesome to read and watch, the amount of effort put into achieving that goal is great. And the works/fixes/improvements around it that may leak to "average" users is welcome too.

Im on the efficiency/performance boat. Give me something that performs well enough and does not need a power generator and air conditioner to work with and I will be happy.

We will see when we get a real product to test if any of this claims (specially the 6GHz) are real, and also what do you need in order to get that high turbo frecuency.

I still have hopes about the 4 Millon intel GPU on the street for 2022.... come on intel bring them on!!!

InvalidError

Titan
Most of Intel's DeskTop & Power Users don't care for efficiency; they just want to their programs to "GO FAST" & they'll burn every extra watt necessary to get that higher frequency.
Efficiency be damned.
The bulk of Intel's desktop sales are to corporations and institutions via OEMs running CPUs at or below specs where they are far more efficient than in the small yet very vocal "efficiency can go to hell" enthusiast circles here where everything that has a power slider goes all the way to the top/right.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
The bulk of Intel's desktop sales are to corporations and institutions via OEMs running CPUs at or below specs where they are far more efficient than in the small yet very vocal "efficiency can go to hell" enthusiast circles here where everything that has a power slider goes all the way to the top/right.
We, the "Vocal Minority" of 'PC enthusiasts' care about this 8 GHz World Record.

Intel makes entire product stacks just for us "Enthusiasts".

The OEM's can run their "Below Specs" CPU SKU's.

Normies don't OC or care about what hardware is in their PC.

They're not 'PC enthusiasts' like us who care about every little detail.

We "Enthusiasts" will be catered to, and the Product Stack existing proves that; along with 8 GHz OCing records like this.

Sippincider

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
Efficiency be damned.

To an extent. The standard North American 110 volt outlet is “only” going to deliver ~1700 watts, so unless we want 20 amp or 220 volt power there is a ceiling (assuming cooling keeps pace).

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
To an extent. The standard North American 110 volt outlet is “only” going to deliver ~1700 watts, so unless we want 20 amp or 220 volt power there is a ceiling (assuming cooling keeps pace).
Almost all of modern PC designs are Power Limited to the US House Hold Circuit wattage limit.

I doubt the EU or other 2## Volt countries want more power consuming PC's anyways given how "Green they want to be" by telling the world that things must be "More efficient" & "Consume Less Power". So they're more than happy to limit the power consumption of the average persons home computer by US House Hold Circuit Wattage limits.

funguseater

Distinguished
We, the "Vocal Minority" of 'PC enthusiasts' care about this 8 GHz World Record.

The OEM's can run their "Below Specs" CPU SKU's.

Normies don't OC or care about what hardware is in their PC.

They're not 'PC enthusiasts' like us who care about every little detail.

We "Enthusiasts" will be catered to, and the Product Stack existing proves that; along with 8 GHz OCing records like this.

Congratulations, you offer Intel free PR, how does it feel to have your hobby stripped from you and left with this epeen focused BS fed to us by Manufacturers. Real Overclocking has nothing to do with records, says this disillusioned old Clocker.

InvalidError

Titan
Nope, Intel makes CPUs for normies, institutions, corporations and the industrial sector that make up ~90% of its sales. The only thing special enthusiasts who represent only ~10% of the market get is marketing of dies cut from the same wafers as normies' chips with massive markups on the CPUs and motherboards.

Sep 12, 2022
Can I ask how is the 8 GHz in overclocking meant? Some CPUs from 2006 have already passed this checkpoint :D Can someone please explain that to me?

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Congratulations, you offer Intel free PR, how does it feel to have your hobby stripped from you and left with this epeen focused BS fed to us by Manufacturers. Real Overclocking has nothing to do with records, says this disillusioned old Clocker.
If you're an "Old Clocker", you should've realized that ePeen has always been a thing ever since there was any form of rivalry.

As far as "World Records", recent to modern OCing has always been about setting some sort of "World Record".

That's been a thing for quite a while.

rtoaht

Reputable
Jun 5, 2020
PCs don't run at Peak power for too long. Normal users don't run Cinebench 24/7. Hence, high peak power usage doesn't necessarily means lower efficiency. There is another term called idle power usage. Since most PCs are idle most of the time with some low power browsing, and watching YouTube. Intel CPUs starting with Alder Lake are much more efficient in these scenarios due to only using E-cores during the idling, browsing, and running background stuffs. AMD still needs to fire up a bigger core complex even when idle or just surfing the net.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Nope, Intel makes CPUs for normies, institutions, corporations and the industrial sector that make up ~90% of its sales. The only thing special enthusiasts who represent only ~10% of the market get is marketing of dies cut from the same wafers as normies' chips with massive markups on the CPUs and motherboards.
That has always been the case. Whenever you grade a new CPU die cut from the waffer, you seperate what's the best die from the worst ones & bin them.

It's no different than seperating Diamonds and grading them & selling them to the highest bidder who will pay for higher grades.

You almost always pay a massive markup for the last 10% of performance. That's just how it is in our modern economy.

Almost nobody pays a linear increase in price for a linear increase in performance. That would probably require governmental regulation & enforcement.

Reactions: UnCertainty08

InvalidError

Titan
Almost nobody pays a linear increase in price for a linear increase in performance. That would probably require governmental regulation & enforcement.
Missing the tree for the forest here. The point is that producing high-end enthusiast parts isn't Intel's core business nor a manufacturing focus. It is a byproduct of the ~90% of other dies used to feed the rest of the market.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Makaveli

Splendid
"Notably, the peak of 6 GHz is 300 MHz faster than the 5.7 GHz for AMD's Ryzen 7000 processors, but Intel hasn't announced which product will hit that peak speed. "

Fairly certain it has been reported that Fmax for the 7950X should be 5.85Ghz so that gap will only be 150Mhz. But i'm will be curious to see the power consumption used. This fall will be a pretty interesting since both of them will have good products.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
A funny little fact - the Core i9-12900K harbors the same performance a Pentium 4 HT clocked at 241.3 GHz would produce.

*Core i9-12900K Score - 2956 points
Pentium 4 HT @ 3.06 GHz Score - 37.5 points
Pentium 4 HT @ 1.0 GHz Score - 12.25 points
*Pentium 4 HT @ 241.3 GHz Score - 2956 points

Dividing 2956 by 12.25 gives us 241.3. And keeping in mind 1 GHz proves to be 12.25 points, we'd need a Pentium 4 HT clocked at 241.3 GHz to reach the score of the Core i9-12900K, namely, 2956 points.

We have witnessed a beautiful increase of between 78 and 79 times in the performance of the best microprocessors available in the last 20 years. Going further back in time and dividing 3060 MHz by 33 MHz would produce a difference of 93 times. And lntel released the first 386DX processors which could hit the latter frequency apparently in 1985. The Pentium 4 HT @ 3.06 GHz was the fastest Pentium 4 in 2002, 17 years later. So, judging by the aforesaid, we are going ahead steadily and nicely, especially considering the following which very well minimizes the gap in performance increase between 1985-2002 and 2002-2022, respectively. That 1 MHz of Pentium 4 HT power should prove much faster than 1 MHz of 386DX performance due to Hyper Threading and an assortment of newer technologies for innumerable advanced calculations in innumerable spheres integrated in the Pentium 4 HT which the 386DX, at its time, obviously lacked. (Keeping in mind, of course, that the software being run utilizes aforementioned technologies). But I do believe that running any piece of software would prove, for the Pentium, an ostensible defeat over the 386DX at the same clock speed; and an even bigger defeat on more advanced software supporting more advanced technologies.

Referral of Performance Points
(64-Core
Avg. Multi Core Mixed Speed) - https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-4-306GHz-vs-Intel-Core-i9-12900K/m614vs4118

Last edited:
Reactions: Sluggotg

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Missing the tree for the forest here. The point is that producing high-end enthusiast parts isn't Intel's core business nor a manufacturing focus. It is a byproduct of the ~90% of other dies used to feed the rest of the market.
If it was just a "By Product", it wouldn't get as much constant attention/refinement as it does.

The mass production of CPU's is just and ends to the means to make money to support the "Real Passion product category".

The real love / dream is for Enthusiasts level Parts.

Everything else is just funding to get to that point.

Kind of like Ferrari, everything else they sell or do is to support Ferrari's racing division. Their real Pride / Joy.

Everything else is to fund the leading edge of technology, so leading that it has a huge chance to cut yourself.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
The "real passion category" for Intel is servers where it can get 5X more profit per chip sold. Most of the stuff that ends up in consumer chips was designed for servers first.
That's it's "Money Maker", where they can over charge and get more profit per piece of silicon.

The "Passion Category" will always be it's top of the product stack and high performance parts in every major category.

Not it's low or common grade parts that it sells to the masses. Doesn't matter if it's consumer or enterprise.

There will always be a top of the product stacks that is the fastest parts that they have.

That's their "Real Passion". To lead technologically and have that "Halo Product" to sell.

Just like how nVIDIA has their ##90 Ti or Titan class. Intel has their equivalents in every category.

That "Halo SKU" that will be sold and be the FASTEST thing they got.