News Intel Teases Rocket Lake Core i9-11900K, Intends to Retake Gaming Crown With 19% IPC Increase

PCWarrior

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
I'll be waiting for AMD's response, and it'll start with the 5000 XT series.
AMD' response should be better availability, not binned SKUs with an even scarcer availability than the existing ones. Essentially AMD's response should be to actually launch what they paper-launched in October 2020. As for the Intel cpus they are retaking the single and light-threaded throne as expected.

Reactions: Why_Me

Makaveli

Splendid
Curious to see how many people will go to a 500 series chipset that is limited to 8c/16T cpu. Aderlake will be DDR5 and a new socket so there will be no upgrade path at all on that chipset.

As for ST it looks to be close enough on both sides that the deciding factor will be MT performance for most.

philged

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
2% increase over AMD with an additional estimated 25W TDP. Sounds like they're just overclocking the pants off of a 10900K and calling it the fastest chip. Not really a technical advancement, just POWERRRR.

Wouldn't be surprised if AMD just comes right back and does the same thing to reclaim the crown.

This competition is great though :)

Can't wait to get one of this Ryzen 9 5900X, or even better one of the future i9 11900K, to pair with a "no where to be found and veery expensive" RTX 3080 and hook up that amazing system to play at with a 1080p monitor........ really?

I think that we got to a point in time on which, to my regret, the CPU for gaming it actually doesnt matter much anymore. I mean right now we have at least 6 or maybe 8 decent CPUs (perhaps more) on several price tags, that can fit everyones budget and needs. CPUs that unless a very narrow and small niche (esport gaming at 720p or 1080p @ 240HZ or higher) are more than enough to run any GPU and give enough performance so that the system is well balanced.

Competition is good, and its nice to see intel striking back the best they can with its 14nm++++++ "terminator" node, but until we can get ourselfs some very powerfull GPUs at a decent price theres no much reason for more powerfull CPUs. We need decent and cheap GPUs first!!!

Reactions: Makaveli
2% increase over AMD with an additional estimated 25W TDP. Sounds like they're just overclocking the pants off of a 10900K and calling it the fastest chip. Not really a technical advancement, just POWERRRR.

Wouldn't be surprised if AMD just comes right back and does the same thing to reclaim the crown.

This competition is great though :)

I have no idea where they get the 25W extra when the CPU is dropping two cores yet keeping the same turbo clocks as the 10900K.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Intel is having stock issues too. 10100/f and 10400/f both bounce in and out of stock and prices fluctuate. But still better than AMD 5xxx which is mia.
Just the F models I would rather have the built in graphics in case stuff went to crap.

EDIT 115 and 177 bucks for the non F. Always been the short coming to AMD in my personal opinion as if that means anything LOL.

A 19% uplift in IPC over Coffee Lake should put Rocket Lake comfortably ahead of the 5000 series clock for clock in actual CPU dependent benchmarks. 1080p gaming is not the best application to test that.
19% wouldn't do that since Zen 2 was already about 5-7% faster clock for clock over Comet Lake. Zen 3 is another 19% faster than Zen 2 clock for clock so in the grand scheme of things Rocket Lake will be slower clock for clock against Zen 3.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
19% wouldn't do that since Zen 2 was already about 5-7% faster clock for clock over Comet Lake. Zen 3 is another 19% faster than Zen 2 clock for clock so in the grand scheme of things Rocket Lake will be slower clock for clock against Zen 3.
You're correct. I should have said that RL will have the per core performance advantage, not the clock for clock advantage.