News Intel Tiger Lake Allegedly Beats AMD Ryzen 4000 In Single-Thread Workloads

Giroro

Splendid
10nm++?
So all Intel needs to do is finish getting their 10nm chips out, then release whatever-lake they are calling 10nm+, and then they can get to work on 10nm++?
Zen2 technology will probably be 2-3 years old by they time Intel can roll that out, if ever.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
10nm++?
So all Intel needs to do is finish getting their 10nm chips out, then release whatever-lake they are calling 10nm+, and then they can get to work on 10nm++?
Zen2 technology will probably be 2-3 years old by they time Intel can roll that out, if ever.
Tiger Lake is 10nm+ - Ice Lake was 10nm. Sapphire Rapids and Alder Lake will be 10nm++ - Ice Lake (10nm) was released last year - it's been in my Dell 13 2-in-1 since 1st week in October 2019. So roughly a year later - Tiger Lake is released (10nm+) and about a year before Alder Lake (10nm++) Sorry your info is way out of date - try again.

" As you can tell, the octa-core processor is generally up to 31.3% better than the Core i7-1165G7, at least according to PassMark's metrics.

twice the cores and 31% faster - must be Linux - which tracks with the Lenovo leaks for the upcoming Renoir / Tiger Lake laptops. With Windows, in that test, the 4800U was a massive 6% faster with 2x the cores. and that is the Tiger Lake U variant - so 15W - just like in the Lenovo leaks.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Did I hear that they are back-porting 10nm architecture to 14nm? Is intell having a hard time with thermals or increased power consumption at smaller nodes?

Reactions: bit_user

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
So with the Single Core Performance Metric:
AMD Ryzen 7 4800U @ Base/Boost = 1.8/4.2 GHz = Single Threaded Benchmark Score of 2631
Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ Base/Boost = 2.8/4.7 GHz = Single Threaded Benchmark Score of 3273

The 4.7 GHz boost is "Speculative"
Intel's TDP is unknown
L3 Cache is speculated to be 50% larger

642 = 3273-2631 ~= 24.4% faster Single Threaded

Intel's Base Clock ~= 55.555…% faster over the AMD part
Intel's Boost Clock ~= 11.905 % faster over the AMD part

So how much of this Faster Single Threaded performance do you think is due to Frequency, Cache, IPC, TDP headroom?

So how much of this Faster Single Threaded performance do you think is due to Frequency, Cache, IPC, TDP headroom?

Uhh... I'd be willing to bet on nearly all of it being on frequency with the other bits bringing up the rest. A whole Ghz faster is going to inflate the numbers, especially in single core. If it had as may cores as the AMD part, I don't think it looks as good as it might sound.

Even still, I'd take the AMD part over the Intel one.

wownwow

Commendable
Aug 30, 2017
AMD Ryzen 7 4800U @ Base/Boost = 1.8/4.2 GHz = Single Threaded Benchmark Score of 2631
Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ Base/Boost = 2.8/4.7 GHz = Single Threaded Benchmark Score of 3273

Intel's TDP is unknown

In addition, 8/16 vs. 4/8. No sure what is toms's HARDWARE's agenda of publishing this type of misleading article, Intel competitiveness fund in work?

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
In addition, 8/16 vs. 4/8. No sure what is toms's HARDWARE's agenda of publishing this type of misleading article, Intel competitiveness fund in work?

4800U has the highest boost clock of any of their 15W parts, so it also has the highest single threaded performance of any of their 15W parts. If THG chose the quad core 4300U which only boosts to 3.7Ghz, you would be accusing them of shilling for Intel, because the 4800U boosts 500Mhz higher. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Reactions: cyrusfox

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019

Intel's TDP is unknown

For a single threaded benchmark, these CPU's are definitely going to be boosting. Why even bother posting the base clocks unless you're intentionally trying to throw a misdirection? 12% faster clocks, 24% higher single threaded performance. Obviously the performance gain isn't purely down to clock speed advantage. The real question is what the TDP is. If it's 15W, then for most people the TL CPU will be the faster choice for a mobile option, sour grapes and all.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
Tiger Lake is 10nm+ - Ice Lake was 10nm. Sapphire Rapids and Alder Lake will be 10nm++ - Ice Lake (10nm) was released last year - it's been in my Dell 13 2-in-1 since 1st week in October 2019. So roughly a year later - Tiger Lake is released (10nm+) and about a year before Alder Lake (10nm++) Sorry your info is way out of date - try again.
Technically Ice Lake is 10nm+ and Tiger Lake is 10nm++. The original 10nm is in Cannon Lake, which Intel wants us all to forget about. The difference in node performance between Cannon Lake and Ice Lake is night and day.
About 50% clock speed, 50% IPC. I don't know how Passmark responds to cache. TDP should be 15W for both in a stock configuration and generally doesn't affect single threaded performance these days. With Zen 2 having about 5-10% more IPC than Skylake, Willow Cove should be another 10% or so ahead of that.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
twice the cores and 31% faster
Yes. The cores do no exist in a vacuum. The more cores you have, either you must increase power and cooling or decrease clocks. AMD clearly did the latter, as this chip is still limited to 15 W.

1.8 GHz * 8 cores = 14.4 Core GHz
2.8 GHz * 4 cores = 11.2 Core GHz

That puts the Ryzen at only 28.6 % faster. So, if it reached 31%, that actually better than expected!

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Tiger Lake IPC is higher should be expected. If Intel can't deliver on IPC gains, they are toasted. As to clockspeed, there are a few factors not mentioned for the testing leading to the results. So I rather wait and see official reviews to determine if it is really as fast as these leaks and rumors claim.

None of this should be surprising since these are still Zen 2 cores, not Zen 3 like later Ryzen 4000 series desktop parts will be. And we already know that current Gen Intel parts beat the Zen 2 parts in single core performance so whatever comes after the 10th Gen Intel parts should sure as heck beat it as well, otherwise, they've gone backwards.

Drakonas

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
What I'd love to know is why these i7-1165g7 "beats AMD" articles keep popping up and not mentioning the Ryzen 7 4800H instead of the underpowered 4800U. I have a feeling it would be a fairer comparison. And by fair I mean AMD would probably destroy it both in single core and multicore for a similar price point. Idk why they're comparing an unreleased product to something that is already out in the first place tbh. Lol. Oh, it's probably because they can't compete with the competition that will be available at launch.

Meme post aside, I'm pretty pissed that Intel is trying to argue that it can compete yet doesn't announce the tdp ratings. Clearly it's going to be power hungry. Which automatically means it's not going to be recommended. Intel needs to stop lying and start being honest, or they're setting themselves up for no more market share. We're not stupid. We understand as consumers if it will take some time to fix things, but stop lying to us or trying to mislead us. This is why you are being targeted Intel! People don't like being lied to. They want honesty. And you will continue to get laughed at until you start being honest with us.

Last edited:

tomspown

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
Ok so intel should just make a single core cpu and juice the maximum out of it and claim best single thread performance, intel would be in the headlines again beating AMD.

PCWarrior

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
What I'd love to know is why these i7-1165g7 "beats AMD" articles keep popping up and not mentioning the Ryzen 7 4800H instead of the underpowered 4800U. I have a feeling it would be a fairer comparison. And by fair I mean AMD would probably destroy it both in single core and multicore for a similar price point. Idk why they're comparing an unreleased product to something that is already out in the first place tbh. Lol. Oh, it's probably because they can't compete with the competition that will be available at launch.

Meme post aside, I'm pretty pissed that Intel is trying to argue that it can compete yet doesn't announce the tdp ratings. Clearly it's going to be power hungry. Which automatically means it's not going to be recommended. Intel needs to stop lying and start being honest, or they're setting themselves up for no more market share. We're not stupid. We understand as consumers if it will take some time to fix things, but stop lying to us or trying to mislead us. This is why you are being targeted Intel! People don't like being lied to. They want honesty. And you will continue to get laughed at until you start being honest with us.
What a load of ... ? So you want to compare a cpu (1165G7) with 15W tdp against a cpu with 45W tdp (4800H)? How about comparing it against a desktop/HEDT Ryzen cpu too? That will probably make you feel even happier…

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Ok so intel should just make a single core cpu and juice the maximum out of it and claim best single thread performance, intel would be in the headlines again beating AMD.
Yeah. Make one giant 1inchx1inch core! Then they would hold the single core record. Lol. I dont know if it works that way but its funny.

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
The headline here is absolutely CNN and FOX like "4000". This is an APU. Its a 3000 chip with a GPU attached. Its also already out. I mean this might be the most useless posting by THG in history. How much did intel pay the parent company of THG to shed some kinda false positive light on intel? 3000 series chips are over a year old FFS.

Avenger762

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
The Intel Core i7-1165G7 goes against the AMD Ryzen 7 4800U in latest PassMark benchmarks.

Intel Tiger Lake Allegedly Beats AMD Ryzen 4000 In Single-Thread Workloads : Read more

Intel's TDP is unknown

A 55% advantage in clock speed and only wins by 24.4%? Sounds more like a loss to me.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What a load of ... ? So you want to compare a cpu (1165G7) with 15W tdp against a cpu with 45W tdp (4800H)? How about comparing it against a desktop/HEDT Ryzen cpu too? That will probably make you feel even happier…

That depends. Is Intel rating the 1165G7 at 15W? If so, then that's base clock only, a misleading rating that Intel has been using for the past few generations in order to make their TDP numbers sound more reasonable than they really are.

But the specs are unconfirmed. So, how do you know the the 1165G7 is a 15W part?

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
None of this should be surprising since these are still Zen 2 cores, not Zen 3 like later Ryzen 4000 series desktop parts will be. And we already know that current Gen Intel parts beat the Zen 2 parts in single core performance so whatever comes after the 10th Gen Intel parts should sure as heck beat it as well, otherwise, they've gone backwards.

Actually, you're incorrect.
Zen 2's IPC is higher than Intel's current CPU's on the market (but maybe not Tiger Lake's).
Intel only has a small advantage in games (roughly 10%) and that's mainly because they managed to get it to run at 5GHZ and just over that out of the box and because of a mesh design where there are no latencies between cores (Zen 2 greatly reduced those latencies... and Zen 3 will effectively eliminate them).

AMD's Zen 2 (thanks to its IPC) gets within 10% of Intel in games and SMASHES it in multicore performance while drawing LESS power (oh and Zen 2 also has far less security flaws).
Oh and, in productivity software, Intel's lead in single core is much lower than 10%... that alone shows you just how much better AMD's Zen 2 is.

As for the above article... looking at the frequencies, you are missing a few things:
Intel's Tiger Lake is clocked about 55% higher on single core... and only beats AMD by roughly 24% in that metric (which is quite frankly pathetic) while operating at unknown TDP levels.

The only reason Intel can clock their Tiger Lake part higher than AMD is because they have 50% less cores.
Oh and... AMD's 4800u is an 8c/16th part usually running at 15W TDP.
The Tiger Lake was configured to an unknown TDP - but previous leaks indicated 28W... (4800U can also go up to that cTDP, and the Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 will be using 4800u configured to 27w cTFP, which when tested showed to be 30% faster than the 15W variant).

So, yeah... Intel still cannot put 8c/16th CPU into a low power envelope it seems (AMD can).
Oh and Intel's graphics are still pathetic compared to enhanced Vega in Renoir (Zen 2).

Oh and Tiger Lake's IPC is an unknown as of yet. Intel boasted some rather high claims on that front, but the propensity of leaks thus far suggests they didn't get anywhere near what they were saying.

Another thing to consider is that Intel gives their mobile processors configurable TDPs. Even if last year's i7-1065G7 is considered a "15 watt" part, manufacturers can configure it to draw either 12, 15 or 25 watts, depending on what they feel a particular laptop's cooling and power delivery system is capable of. So, these numbers don't exactly tell us much. If they're from a laptop that the manufacturer configured for 25 watts, they won't be representative of how a more typical system configured for around half the power draw will perform.

Reactions: cyrusfox

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Actually, you're incorrect.
Zen 2's IPC is higher than Intel's current CPU's on the market (but maybe not Tiger Lake's).
Intel only has a small advantage in games (roughly 10%) and that's mainly because they managed to get it to run at 5GHZ and just over that out of the box and because of a mesh design where there are no latencies between cores (Zen 2 greatly reduced those latencies... and Zen 3 will effectively eliminate them).

Zen2 has a higher IPC than Skylake and its derivatives. We're talking about the mobile market here. Ice Lake, which has been sold since last year has a higher IPC than Zen2, and Tiger Lake is the successor to Ice Lake.

As for the above article... looking at the frequencies, you are missing a few things:
Intel's Tiger Lake is clocked about 55% higher on single core... and only beats AMD by roughly 24% in that metric (which is quite frankly pathetic) while operating at unknown TDP levels.

Single core workloads don't run at the base clock. Don't spread misinformation.

So, yeah... Intel still cannot put 8c/16th CPU into a low power envelope it seems (AMD can).
Oh and Intel's graphics are still pathetic compared to enhanced Vega in Renoir (Zen 2).

Tiger Lake is using Xe graphics with early leaks having shown promising results.
https://www.techradar.com/news/inte...raphics-beats-nvidias-recent-mx350-laptop-gpu

Oh and Tiger Lake's IPC is an unknown as of yet. Intel boasted some rather high claims on that front, but the propensity of leaks thus far suggests they didn't get anywhere near what they were saying.

We can say with confidence that IPC will not be worse than Ice Lake which is already better than anything AMD currently produces.