Question Intel to AMD, do i need to reinstall Windows?

May 19, 2020
So i'm upgrading my current Intel system to AMD and i came across some things about reinstalling windows due to that.

My current motherboard is a ASUS PRIME Z-270-A and i'm upgrading it to a ASUS PRIME X-570 PRO with a Ryzen 3800x, the question is, will i need to reinstall windows? i have no clue where my key is tho.

May 19, 2020
If you’re logged onto Windows on a microsoft account, your key SHOULD be linked to it and when you reinstall Windows and log back in on your account, you should have an activated Windows.
So i was able to find my windows key. I have windows 10 installed in one of my ssd's, the thing is, will i have to back up that ssd before proceeding to reinstall the new cpu+motherboard? Can i do a backup of my current window's setting's and stuff and then restore that same backup into the new setup? if so, how do i do that?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Can i do a backup of my current window's setting's and stuff and then restore that same backup into the new setup? if so, how do i do that?
No.
That is no different than trying to move the actual drive (or clone of it).

With all new hardware, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. If boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely.
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.
I've seen all 3.

Intel->AMD = yes, you need to do a full wipe and reinstall.
Start clean.

This is different than reusing the license key.

Reactions: King_V
May 19, 2020
No.
That is no different than trying to move the actual drive (or clone of it).

With all new hardware, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. If boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely.
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.
I've seen all 3.

Intel->AMD = yes, you need to do a full wipe and reinstall.
Start clean.

This is different than reusing the license key.
Hm i see. My sdd currently holds windows, so should i format it first before installing the new board and cpu?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Hm i see. My sdd currently holds windows, so should i format it first before installing the new board and cpu?
No.
During the install in the new hardware, you boot from a Win 10 USB, and delete all the existing partitions on that drive.

Just like this:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS