Question Intel to AMD switch, now computer won't boot (but did once)

May 7, 2019
So, I just spent the last few hours replacing my old motherboard with an MSI B450, CPU with an AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, and RAM with RAM. I got it all together and plugged it in, turned it on and it booted to bios with no problems. Beautiful! But, after changing the boot device priorities (dragged my SSD to the front of the list, that had the Intel Windows 10 on it) and turned on Gaming something (forgot the name, not sure if important but just in case), the computer suddenly shut off, and ever since I can't get any output, and can't boot into bios no matter what I try. The computer turns on, the fans and LEDs kick on, but after about a minute it all shuts back down. I knew I needed to reinstall Windows given the switch from Intel to AMD, so I had a flashdrive with the Windows installation all ready to go, but you already know how I screwed that up... I already tried making sure the connections are all solid, shutting the power off and holding down the power button, reseating the RAM, all with no luck. What else should I try? Thank you for any help! <3
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
MB: MSI B450
RAM: TridentZ 16gb
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
PSU: forget, but it's 750 watts

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
this is the troubleshooter for new systems and can resolve the most common issues. go down the list, every step.
step 17 how many beeps you getting?
if no speaker you can bodge one together easily. I have remarks prepared.

canned diagnostic speaker rant: speaker making 101
The diagnostic speaker is the motherboards main diagnostic feedback device.
the motherboard may be telling you where the problem is.
my speakers have this plug
http://images.crutchfieldonline.com/graphics/infolib/homelib/hSpeakerSpringClip.jpg
I use lamp wire but any stranded wire will do. literally any stranded wires. strip one end like so
http://www.antiquelampco.com/Shades/CordColors.jpg
attach the stripped end into the speaker spring clips on the speaker.
the other end of the wire should be trimmed like so the semi strip
https://wesbellwireandcable.com/images/cutwire.png
by doing a semi strip the wire case is now the socket.
plug one wire to the first pin, and the second onto the fourth pin.
power on the system and listen for beeps
end canned rant

May 7, 2019
Fixed it, and boy am I dumb!
I took the whole computer apart and put it back together, and turns out the heatsink from my CPU cooler wasn't making contact with the processor at all due to it not fitting between the black plastic mounting pieces on either side of the CPU. So I installed the stock cooler (making damn sure it was making full contact) and now it's perfectly fine. Sorry!

Fixed it, and boy am I dumb!
I took the whole computer apart and put it back together, and turns out the heatsink from my CPU cooler wasn't making contact with the processor at all due to it not fitting between the black plastic mounting pieces on either side of the CPU. So I installed the stock cooler (making damn sure it was making full contact) and now it's perfectly fine. Sorry!

I always tell IT people I mentor that the best way to learn something in-depth is to break it and then find a way to fix it. Now you know to check over more things than you did.
If it all worked great or someone told you exactly what to do without going through troubleshooting, not as much is learned.

Reactions: 1s3ct0wN