Intel To Build 22nm Trigate Processors for Netronome

Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Prey[/nom]Looks like it's getting closer to buy some Intel stock.[/citation]
Seeing as they've been posting record profits and growth for several years in a row now (I think close to a decade), I think you've long since missed the window.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
how is nVidia Intel's rival? i thought a GPU was separate from the CPU except for the integrated GPU which is basically just for everyday use proposes and not made for extreme gaming like nVidia's cards are.
Also in that picture what version of QDR? and will it be able to go above 1333MHz for DDR3?
now @ Prey Intel will most likely not go up anytime soon until this comes out and bees a hit in the market for whatever reason. still with QDR what market are they aiming for?

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]yumri[/nom]how is nVidia Intel's rival? i thought a GPU was separate from the CPU except for the integrated GPU which is basically just for everyday use proposes and not made for extreme gaming like nVidia's cards are.Also in that picture what version of QDR? and will it be able to go above 1333MHz for DDR3?now @ Prey Intel will most likely not go up anytime soon until this comes out and bees a hit in the market for whatever reason. still with QDR what market are they aiming for?[/citation]

Nvidia is not competing with Intel in the aftermarket gpu area. btu intel is smart, they know cloud computing and tablets/phones used as a one portal devices through things like the asus transformer series are going to keep coming, intel has thier mobile area where they are competing with Tegra 3, even if they only made Nvidia GPU and not thier Tegra chips the added benefit of the node shrink for Nvidia would likely result in more R&D money for Tegra which harms Intel. it is a smart call

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Seeing as they've been posting record profits and growth for several years in a row now (I think close to a decade), I think you've long since missed the window.[/citation]

What's even more interesting is that investors outlook on intel stock is that it's high right now. They think that competition with Arm and the emerging markets such as tablet/mobile processors are not a strong place for Intel.

I think the investors are wrong, it blows my mind how Apple shares can be so high while Intel and MS shares are priced equivalent to sliced bread. Whatever!

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Intel has hundreds streams of income and that's why I have lost my faith in amd. They didn't diversify their business and now they are screwed unless they find some strategic investor..

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Seeing as they've been posting record profits and growth for several years in a row now (I think close to a decade), I think you've long since missed the window.[/citation]

Well, the only option left is to wait around for Intel to repeat the Netburst fiasco and short-sell their stocks.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Nvidia runs circles around Intel when it comes to GPU knowledge, Intel would be smart to actually Nvidia's GPU's for them. Keep friends close but your enemies even closer.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Nvidia runs circles around Intel when it comes to GPU knowledge, Intel would be smart to actually Nvidia's GPU's for them. Keep friends close but your enemies even closer.[/citation]
intel has billions, they could make GPUs (or cookies or anything they want) easily

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]intel has billions, they could make GPUs (or cookies or anything they want) easily[/citation]
This.
The only reason Intel isn't a giant in the GPU market is because it's a niche market and doesn't interest them.
Face it, the average user doesn't need an HD7970, when an Intel HD integrated solution does the job just fine.

thegreatms

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
[citation][nom]obsama1[/nom]Their stock is only $27...[/citation]

They are paying out a pretty nice dividend every quarter. 21 cents a quarter right now.

I wonder if one day Intel will make AMD processors instead of GF. It makes sense as Intel would get a cut of of the AMD sales and AMD would get more advanced production facilities also Intel would not have problems with the monopolies commission if AMD were to stop competing with Intel

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Intel clearly has a huge manufacturing capacity to meet all its own requirements and still have spare capacity to accept outside jobs. And it shows Intel confidence in mastering the 22nm process technology. AMD is in deep shit.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Maybe if NVIDIA stopped acting like petulent children, real companies might talk to them. They aren't a professional company at all, and their CEO is not at all professional. A CEO of a big company should be professional, and never say some of the stuff he does. He acts like he's someone off the street that can say whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and then whines because Intel won't make processors for him.

Part of being CEO is to know when you can say what you want, and when you can't, and just take the high road rather than embarrass your company. If I were running Intel, I would never deal with this ass-clown. Maybe when he acts like an adult, and a CEO, Intel might talk to him.

I'd be much less surprised if Intel did fab work for AMD instead. At least they have a grown-up running the company.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Well, the only option left is to wait around for Intel to repeat the Netburst fiasco and short-sell their stocks.[/citation]

I don't think that Intel will do that again.

[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]I wonder if one day Intel will make AMD processors instead of GF. It makes sense as Intel would get a cut of of the AMD sales and AMD would get more advanced production facilities also Intel would not have problems with the monopolies commission if AMD were to stop competing with Intel[/citation]

If Intel made some of AMD's processors, then Intel would lose some market share to AMD, unless they did a poor job of it or AMD manages to make a worse CPU than the current FX CPUs (I doubt that AMD would do this). AMD's market share would need to be kept minimal by Intel in order for this to work out because Intel wants a competitor, but not serious competition, unless Intel somehow makes more money by making AMD processors than they would be making their own processors.

Otherwise, Intel would be losing money because if a customer would pay say $130 for an Intel i3, Intel gets all of the profits, but if a customer pays for a $130 AMD COU, Intel would at best only get a fairly small cut of it. So, maybe Intel would make high core count CPUs, but it doesn't look like it would work out with Intel making low end AMD CPUs unless Intel keeps their market share low enough to not challenge their profits much, but high enough to keep anti-trust lawsuits from killing Intel.

I think that vittau's post explains why it isn't weird for Intel to not venture into the graphics market. Also, Intel had a product that was supposed to compete in the graphics market, Larrabee, but Intel turned it into a compute only chip and called it Knights Corner or something like that.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Apple competes with Samsung but Samsung has Apple manufacturing deals maybe Intel should take note.[/citation]
Apple and Samsung both make phones, but they are entirely different phones with different features.
NVidia and Intel are making the same chips and are competing for more marketshare in these phones made by samsung and apple.

In fact, apple basically makes no hardware themselves from what I can think of. They are a design and OS, and thats it. Completely different than the intel and nvidia situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.