News Intel to Cut Alder Lake Pricing for Major PC Makers: Report

I just hope not only Intel, but AMD, nVidia and all their AIB partners understand the first world economies are entering a recession and they will have to concede lower margins in order to survive. Some may think "features", but the bulk of sales is never at the higher (read: features) end.

So, I hope the new hardware pricing (let alone the old stuffs) tries to reflect these new realities of life a lot of people seems to be feeling right now, even.

Regards.

Reactions: shady28 and KyaraM

MadManMark84

Honorable
Jul 10, 2017
Fran, I suspect all listed corporations will notice and adjust to changes in demand without (and long before) needing to see consumers warn about it based upon public news outlets.

I think you also may not understand that their fattest margins are on non-consumer product lines (for data centers etc) anyway.

Oh no! Intel is reducing prices to the OEMs...new AMD lawsuit coming in.
Proffered hardware savings of 5%-10% and then in the very last few months of an outgoing tech-generation is most defintely not seeing the new realities or the light of day! Or the absence of cash in the pockets by the man on the street!
I don't know what planet you live on but the OEMs are mostly suppliers for huge co-operations, this 5-10% isn't going to you or the man on the street it's going to big business, they don't care about any of us as long as they can make millions of sales at once.

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
Intel cut price for its Alder Lake CPU, because its new CPU Raptor Lake is coming, it takes a quarter or more to flush out the old parts before the new part becomes a main stay. This is the method what ODM normally do before they introduce new products, there is nothing new here; this author is exaggerating the impact of price reduction to prove his point. If you recalled just 20 some days ago, the SIA semi reported that the world semi sale in April 2022 was a record, especially in America, it reached $12B for the month ( in America, the most contribution in sale is Intel and Micron), a new record. It is likely the case in the following month (May 2022 and the rest of 2022) too. Thus, it is clearly contradicting to the news published by this author, while the speculators are trying to swam the market using this news, for their profit purposes.

Reactions: Tom Sunday

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Honestly not surprising, I think a lot of demand was 'pulled forward' into 2020 and some into early 2021 due to covid lockdowns and shifts to WFH.

What that means economically is, some of the demand that would normally be there in future years (i.e. 2022 and 2023) was burnt up in 2020-2021. I saw a ton of this first hand, people that were just fine with their 5 year old 7th or 8th gen laptop before covid suddenly pop up with a brand new laptop during covid. Same with desktop PCs, TVs, cell phones, home renovation projects, and so on - but particularly for 'shut in' types of products which is mostly electronic devices.

I have a suspicion that there may be be a couple of negative growth years across a wide range of highly discretionary categories as a result.